very laid back colt?

Charlie77

Visit site
Hi I feel silly asking this as I have worked on studs my self although many years ago now! Any way I have a lovely colt I bought at six months old plan was to have him cut in the spring, he was so good that when spring came I thought leave intact till winter comes round again thought this may help him as looked a bit imature coming out of winter. He is so laid back that im now wondering if he is ok?! Never known a colt like him, he has moments he will try and mount my other gelding, and he will nip, and he will play for hours with his horse ball n loves to chace dogs! He is out of a tb mare and wb stallion. Should I worry or just enjoy him? He looks well in him self nice coat bright eyes etc and no longer looks imature so am looking forward to showing him next year he is only 14 months old now and I have had 2 x colts of my own just not as laid back as this one.

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
You'd have to wait until the autumn now to have him done because of the flies, but if it were mine, I would have him done sooner rather than later. For the sole reason that no matter how laid back he is, his hormones will kick in eventually and in my view there is only one reason to keep a colt entire and that is if he is true stallion material.

Charlie77

Visit site
Oh he will be cut! Im just slightly worried thats hes still intact and so laid back? Far more laid back than any youngster I have known never mind intact colts and as I said many years ago I did work at a stud so have known many.

Elfen

Visit site
My boy was cut at 2 - you'd have never thought he was a colt - so laid back!! Had him cut and he stayed exactly the same temperament wise - he's now four and is still a very very sweet matured boy - thank god as he's 17.3!! Enjoy him :)

HBM1

Visit site
Oh he will be cut! Im just slightly worried thats hes still intact and so laid back? Far more laid back than any youngster I have known never mind intact colts and as I said many years ago I did work at a stud so have known many.

I have a yearling who is so laid back he is almost horizontal. He is so easy to do it is often a thought that he is asleep. You would never know he was a colt.

I also bred his 4 year old brother, also still entire, and he is going through the backing process so easily, in a yard full of mares and other stallions, and he hasn't put a foot wrong.

They don't need to be rabble rousers just because they are colts - he is obviously well-raised by you and his breeders. :D

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

He's a baby! Most colts of that age running with geldings are fine. One of mine got out at 2 - and jumped into a stable with an in-season mare - he was a horny little sod!

But I have a 2 year old I'm running on at present - he's as good and sensible as a gelding!