Very lethargic mare

annt

Visit site
I bought my mare last October and haven't really had her while in season until now. She is normally very forward going and a bit like a tank but she came into season 7 days ago and she is completely lethargic with no go in her at all. I rode her that first day and she sweated a lot and just didn't want to "go" which is completely unlike her. I stopped riding her and have rested her all week and also had the vet out to check her that first day. Vet did loads of checks to ensure she had no respiratory symptoms etc etc but he said physically she is fine. He said give her a week and see what she is like but to call if there was any change. I have called him again as I'm not convinced coming into season would account for such a change in her. She is showing no other symptoms at all. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and is 7 days excessive to be in season? Thanks xx

Nici

Visit site
Hmm, the behaviour seems strange indeed. 7 days is about the upper limit of days mares are in season for, but it really depends on the mare (just like with humans).

tankgirl1

Visit site
I'm no expert but I am assuming you ladies have all experienced periods, PMT, period pain etc - why should it be any different for a horse? We are all mammals after all

Suby2

Visit site
My mare used to get times when she was depressed. Over time it was obvious that it was linked to her being in season. This only lasted a few days though.

Amye

Visit site
We have a mare on our yard who goes more laidback when in season. She's normally quite highly strung but when in season she goes the opposite... I think it's odd as most of the others are the other way around!

If it's still going on for over 7 days it could be something else though..