Very light weight saddles??

Oldernewbie

Visit site
Hi all, due to an injury non riding related, I have been advised by my consultant that I am not to lift. A full kettle is pretty much the maximum I am able to lift ?. Luckily my horse lives out now and all ‘heavy’ jobs like rug changes or foot care are included in her livery package.
I can do basically everything apart from lift so in spring I hope to start some easygoing riding again with support.
My current made to measure saddle (ideal) is much too heavy, so I am going to sell it. I need to try something considerably lighter, I know its going to have to be synthetic but have no clue where to start!
It may be that no saddle will be light enough in which case I have to accept I will also need help to tack up but this will significantly restrict when and with whom I ride as my yard isn’t fully staffed all day. Any suggestions?

Palindrome

Visit site
The Wintec lite is 4 kgs, I use plastic stirrups and some lightweight webbers with it. But a 2 liters kettle would be 2 kg so I don't know if it's light enough.

Oldernewbie

Visit site
Just filled up to the max line and weighed our 1.7 litre plastic kettle, it comes to 2.5kg.
Arrggh yes just been googling myself and it seems even being generous a kettle is max 3kg, even my full kettle feels heavy (makes the injured bit hurt) so maybe ill be destined to ride bareback ??? or get one of those bareback pads and just ride in the arena. Unfortunately neither if those is a realistic option as my mare has two mildly impinging vertebrae, its never caused any obvious issues but ive been advised to endure saddle provides pressure relief over the area.

mini_b

Visit site
A full kettle in one hand feels different to a light saddle lifted between two? I can see how the kettle would maybe be more painful to lift?

But… if you like your saddle and it fits, I’d honestly pay someone to chuck it on? Even if you weren’t on a properly staffed yard (don’t know your situation) would you not be able to say “excuse me can you pop my saddle on?”

if someone asked me I’m not sure I’d say no? I’ve been asked for all sorts of help at shows and asked folk to do my girth or chuck me something when I’ve been on my own and horse is excited to be out. I’ve not said no to anyone either!

Widgeon

Visit site
Can you get your livery to include tacking up? I think you’d regret moving from a ‘nice’ saddle to one that still might be too heavy. Will you be able to do the girth and bridle?

Yes absolutely this, please don't sell a well fitting made to measure saddle and buy another one just because it's light - that way lies a whole world of a different kind of pain! I would also just pay someone to lift it up onto the horse for me. By the time you add stirrups and leathers I'm pretty sure any saddle will weigh more than 3kg. But could you also look at a really good bareback pad as a fallback for days when there's no one to help? There's lots of threads on them and some people seem to really rate them.

dreams579

Visit site
I ride in a smart treeless saddle which is v light and almost feels like a treed saddle to ride in

the other thought that crossed my mind is can you train horse to stand next to big mounting block to be saddled, so you aren’t having to lift saddle up so high, which may help in how much weight you can easily lift?

Widgeon

Visit site
the other thought that crossed my mind is can you train horse to stand next to big mounting block to be saddled, so you aren’t having to lift saddle up so high, which may help in how much weight you can easily lift?

Yes I was wondering about this too. There are plenty of people out there with reduced / no use of various limbs who seem to have found workarounds....it must be doable!

Nasicus

Visit site
I'd have no problem lifting on a saddle for a fellow livery who is recovering from injury!
I'd go the assisted route with a saddle you know fits your mare than trying to find a lighter one and risk aggravating her spinal issues.
Or as suggested, use a mounting block or step stool to get to the height where you can carry/support it with a forearm under each end and just slide it on, vastly different pressure, weight distribution and forces that way compared to lifting a kettle with a hand and putting the force on the wrist.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Until recently I had a heather moffet flexee pre gulleted version , extremely light. I upgraded to a treed Black Country and the difference is crazy. You could swing the flexee over your head?

I have the HM pre-gullet flexee too and it's amazingly light (and a really nice saddle). My other horse has the newer gulleted version and it's much heavier. You could make the saddle lighter by doing two trips - one with just the saddle and the other with the girth and stirrups. Put stirrups on to saddle after you've tacked up.

Oldernewbie

Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I definitely feel theres a workaround and I think I could definitely train my mare to stand by our big mounting block.
i don’t want to keep asking people even though they would happily help, my injury may well be longterm and unfortunately whilst surgery may be required in the future ( if it degenerates further) but its risky surgery (neck) so it may be that it’s something that I need to live with.
The Ideal is a lovely saddle but its SO heavy!!! I really don’t want to be lifting it at all.
Im going to go see if i can borrow or try the suggested HF saddle (obviously the primary issue if I can get one that fits her).
Ill post an update when I find a solution in case anyone else faces a similar issue in future.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP, I think you'll need to think further on this.
You'll need help to tighten a girth when on board, also need to avoid any tension on the reins (even if things are out of your control, for emergency stopping and the like).

Having been temporarily out of action recently and just going to be same for another few weeks, the not lifting has actually taken some thought. Taking rugs off was sort of ok, putting on was not. Grooming was out, and picking out feet, so was sweeping yard etc. There is so much we all take for granted till we cannot do it.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Saddle fitter chiming in, beware lightweight saddles. In some ways a bit of heft gives it a better interface between horse and rider, I have yet to see any lightweight model or brand, especially the changeable headplate synthetic tree brands, that truly does a better job than a well fitting saddle with a wooden tree, though of course there are plenty that work for many, it's just far from universal. There may be something out there that's a bit lighter that would be a great solution, but if you can train your mare to come to the block for tacking up it's definitely a good thing to try.

Oldernewbie

Visit site
OP, I think you'll need to think further on this.
You'll need help to tighten a girth when on board, also need to avoid any tension on the reins (even if things are out of your control, for emergency stopping and the like).

Having been temporarily out of action recently and just going to be same for another few weeks, the not lifting has actually taken some thought. Taking rugs off was sort of ok, putting on was not. Grooming was out, and picking out feet, so was sweeping yard etc. There is so much we all take for granted till we cannot do it.
Yes its amazing how much lifting is required for ordinary day to day life let alone equestrian life. I feel, for tge first time in my life, quite dis-abled. I have to rely on my Husband to come with me even to see my horse as I discovered the perfectly ordinary gate to her field needs a slight lifting manoeuvre which set me back weeks pain wise. Can’t open windows,cant empty bins,can’t carry shopping bags I could literally go on and on! Ive piled on weight through this enforced couch potato lifestyle as well!

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I don't understand how you can ride but not lift because tightening the girth would be far heavier than lifting a saddle? What about if you need to pull the reins with force? Sudden changes of direction? Does your consultant understand the biomechanics of riding because it puts your upper limbs and chest at quite some risk, depending on the issue. Is he or she assuming all you do is sit and hold reins? I would double check if I were you (physio speaking here!). Good luck

Nudibranch

Visit site
My HM Flexee is light (as mentioned above). I currently have the newer gulleted version but I use it without the plate for my Dales. I haven't weighed it but it really doesn't weigh much. I also use plastic stirrups. That makes a big difference.
If you can tack up from a box or mounting block that would make lifting easier. I have a rotator cuff issue and when it's painful I tack up from the mounting block as I can't lift anything above shoulder height.

Not being funny but post above - if you need to tighten a girth or pull the reins with that much force, there's something seriously wrong...