Very light weight saddles??

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but I think doing up the girth will require a greater pull than lifting a kettle, so don't rush to get rid of a saddle that you like because it's too heavy. I suspect you are going to need help tacking up, whatever you have as a saddle.

I hope we see you happily (edited from typo heavily!) back on board in 2023.

Last edited:

Oldernewbie

Visit site
I don't understand how you can ride but not lift because tightening the girth would be far heavier than lifting a saddle? What about if you need to pull the reins with force? Sudden changes of direction? Does your consultant understand the biomechanics of riding because it puts your upper limbs and chest at quite some risk, depending on the issue. Is he or she assuming all you do is sit and hold reins? I would double check if I were you (physio speaking here!). Good luck
Hi, my Consultants perspective is that I should reduce pain and harm as much as possible, however riding is very important to me and keeps me going mentally and physically. Yes I could need to do an emergency stop or be thrown which might cause further injury or even surgery but the type of riding I do and intend to continue doing is pretty low risk
( obviously nothing is no risk). It may be that when I do get back to riding it massively aggravates things in which case I may decide that surgery is going to be the ‘better’ option

Peglo

Visit site
Could you have a saddle rack on a high mounting block so you could just pick up the saddle from waist height and put it on the horse at the same level? So you’re not having to lift it up if that makes sense? Just move it from A to B. If your going to ride that day you could ask someone to have it on your block ready for you.

maya2008

Visit site
As you need your husband to come and help get the horse out of the field anyway, I would maybe pay for a few freelancer lessons to teach him how to tack up and tighten girths. I know you could explain but it might be easier if someone teaches him who can demonstrate (and you no longer can). Then he can tack up and do girth for you. If he’s there anyway, he might as well learn!

SEL

Visit site
My HM Flexee is light (as mentioned above). I currently have the newer gulleted version but I use it without the plate for my Dales. I haven't weighed it but it really doesn't weigh much. I also use plastic stirrups. That makes a big difference.
If you can tack up from a box or mounting block that would make lifting easier. I have a rotator cuff issue and when it's painful I tack up from the mounting block as I can't lift anything above shoulder height.

Not being funny but post above - if you need to tighten a girth or pull the reins with that much force, there's something seriously wrong...
Sorry for a thread hijack - does the flexee stay pretty stable on your Dales? I'm saddle hunting and they've been recommended

marmalade76

Visit site
Nylon stirrup irons make a massive difference to the weight of a saddle, as an adult who rides ponies, I've had a couple of pairs for years.

Also putting everything on separately will help - numnah on first, then saddle, then add girth rather than lifting the lot on in one go.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Nylon stirrup irons make a massive difference to the weight of a saddle, as an adult who rides ponies, I've had a couple of pairs for years.

Also putting everything on separately will help - numnah on first, then saddle, then add girth rather than lifting the lot on in one go.

Yes, agreed about the stirrups. Safestyle composites are a good one to consider, full safety stirrup but lightweight. It's not surprising how many people might pick up a saddle during a saddle fitting and comment on how light it is and I point out that it has no accessories attached yet!

Nudibranch

Visit site
Sorry for a thread hijack - does the flexee stay pretty stable on your Dales? I'm saddle hunting and they've been recommended

Absolutely. She's quite horse shaped rather than flat backed but I've ridden everywhere in it - some ridiculous terrain - and it doesn't budge. However I use the Nuumed shim pad that HM recommends, and the Pro Choice girth. I've used different girths in the past (admittedly on different horses) and they've not given quite the same stability.

Reactions: SEL