Very odd poulticing situation......????

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
To cut a long story short, my partner horse which he sold a few months ago is back on my yard temporarily as lady who bought him didnt have a stable and he appears to have an infection in his foot.

First noticed was Saturday morning, he was hobbling around his field (I had simply gone to say hello to him with owner as hadnt seen him since before xmas!), bring him in, hose him down and he has really odd sore to the side of his coronet band. First think its a kick, but on closer inspection its definately an infection of some kind.

As heat in leg and puffy leg also, tell his owner it may be wise to get a vet to take a look.

Vet comes, says that its definately an infection. Has a dig in his hoof cannot find a thing or any entry where pus may be trying to get out.

Says that infection is actually travelling upwards???? Along bottom of foot up to coronet band.

So new owner is busy polticing like a madwoman, bit of gunk coming out, stinks to high heaven but nothing really improving.

Have you ever heard of an infection in the hoof travelling upwards as this is new territory for me!!!

>>>>>

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yep - gravel. Can quite often come out of the coronory band. Tell her not to over do the poulticing as it's such a sensitive area.

We have a mare that's on about week 4 of gravel - gradually comming sound, but has some better days than others. The mud is acting as a natural poultice, so she's out in the field.

irishdraught

Visit site
Yes - if pus can't drain downwards, it tracks up until it hits the coronet and then bursts there. Can be a pain though as it can damage the coronet and therefore has an affect on the hoof growing normally.

dill

Visit site
I have a mare who had this three years ago. Twice a day I washed the area with hibiscrub soln. Popped a bit of Animalintex hot poultice on it - held on with a couple of laps of clingfilm whilst she ate her breakfast/tea - left the poultice on til it went cold 15-12mins, then dried it off and covered the area with magnesium sulphate paste (from the chemist) which drew all of the gunk out within three days, stuck a bit of Melonin dressing over it all - wrapped with a few more laps of clingfilm and a bit of vetwrap/duct tape. All the gunk was out within three days then I kept the wound fresh with Dermagel whilst it healed over. The only sign now is that she has a thin ridge down her hoof where the coronary band was damaged.

ihatework

Visit site
Yes I had one, took a while to clear up. Try not to overdo the wet poulticing, mag sulphate paste might be an idea. My vet gave me metronex as well.
If the horse gets worse get the vet back up as if you get quittor it's more serious (infection of cartilage) and often requires a GA to scrape infected tissue away.

D

Donkeymad

My pony currently has a gravel that has erupted through the coronary band - very normal.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
blimey!! all these years have had horses and never seen or heard of it before with mine or anyone elses!! Never stop learning do we?!

THank you for your kind replies, I will print this off and let his new owner see it and it will give her much reassurance I am sure.

Thanks again!! x