Very proud of daughter- how best to pts v nervy pony?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My very brave daughter has decided to pts her gorgeous pony. We are heartbroken but both vowed he'd never ever suffer so it's the right thing.
She wants me to sort it obviously she's only 14 but she's going to say goodbye and leave.
Now I've dealt with this before by way of injection with me holding and gun with someone else holding.
I'd always say I'd go down the gun route again. The hunt were so kind quick and professional.
The problem is I don't know if I'm tough enough to hold a horse I love to be shot, but he's nervous to the point he won't come out of the stable for most people and would be scared to be led away by an unknown man, however nice they were.
Could I hold and look away? Which way would be the least scary for a pony like this?
He's the absolute love of our lives and we have to get it right for him :'(

LadyRascasse

Visit site
If you want him shot why not ask the vet to either come out and sedate him first so he wouldn't know you weren't with him or if he is good with wormers ask them to send you some domosedan gel than you put under the tongue and works much like the injection. I am really sorry that you are going through this. If it helps I have had 2 horses pts by lethal injection and they both went very peacefully, the last one I stayed with her and she literally got down like she was having a nap, very peaceful but extremely sad for us.

AmieeT

Visit site
Didn't want to read and run, but what a wonderful, selfless daughter. She sounds mature beyond her years.

I hope you get the advice you need, and that its dealt with best for the pony.

Ax

_GG_

Visit site
If you want him shot why not ask the vet to either come out and sedate him first so he wouldn't know you weren't with him or if he is good with wormers ask them to send you some domosedan gel than you put under the tongue and works much like the injection. I am really sorry that you are going through this. If it helps I have had 2 horses pts by lethal injection and they both went very peacefully, the last one I stayed with her and she literally got down like she was having a nap, very peaceful but extremely sad for us.

This. So very sorry for you all xx

BethanT

Visit site
I'm so very sorry for you and your daughter. Where we are one of the men that covers the area for gun use on livestock is very good with the horses and they never seem to sense it coming (he feeds them apples/carrots while he does it). Maybe if you explain to the person carrying out the procedure he could spend a bit of time giving treats to said pony to ease his nerves? Failing that do you have a friend who pony knows who could hold him.

Chances are he will pick up on anything your feeling and potentially make it worse.

Again im so sorry for you both. Sending hugs. xxx

epsilon

community.webshots.com
A very brave decision to make. My heart goes out to you. From a safety point of view you absolutely could not hold and look away, particularly if he's being pts using a gun. They fall very quickly and you need to 100% have your wits about you. :eek:( Personally I would use the injection, they fall slower in my experience and I've found vets usually take the rope at the last minute to control the fall. Also it makes absolutely sure he doesn't end up in the food chain. If you feel you can't look, is there someone who could hold him for you whilst you stand close by? That way you can lead him and keep him calm, but close your eyes at the last minute.

noodle_

Visit site
very brave decision to make...ive had to have 2 pts now...

i hope this thread dosent turn into a slanging match about which is best and how the other party is wrong, however....

for what its worth i chose injection to put my beloved mare to sleep...she was sedated and then dropped very quickly... at the time she dropped the horses in the next field chose then to gallop across the field behind her, at the time i was gutted as she had a little excited moment [she tried] but after i realised it was very fitting.

So for me, to be able to hold them until the end...i picked the injection.

be positive

Visit site
The last pony I had pts was very nervy, suspicious, headshy at times hated the vet and injections but was difficult with men in general so the gun was not an option, I arranged a set time with the vet and gave him some acp, in tablet form as you couldn't use a syringe, another of his foibles, about 1/2 hour before he was due, he barely managed to walk outside as the acp had taken effect, the vet had no problem injecting and he went very quickly and peacefully.
A week earlier the vet had struggled to take bloods so the sedative certainly made all the difference.

Whichever option you choose giving him some sedative first will make it less stressful for all involved and probably easier for your daughter who although will not be there can think of him being very sleepy and totally unaware, brave girl to have to be facing this at such a young age.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Epsilon of course, I hadn't even considered that- my brains gone a bit mushy!
No I don't want a big debate over methods either, I've done both personally but my last horse was easier as he was perfectly ok with other people and fought sedation dramatically so it was a no brainer.
I'm not sure sedating him first would work as I just don't think anyone would move him. He's very partially sighted.
I think I will go talk it all over with my vet. I guess the injection means my horse can say goodbye (is this still a recommended thing? They are very close)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to reply!
Sadly this will be her 3rd lost since she was about 6 we've had some incredibly rubbish luck. This one was supposed to be her forever pony... He's only 7

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Be positive- that's really interesting and similar sounding. He's not actually bad with the vet as in yearly jabs and millions of checks etc over the years so perhaps that's the way to go here.

cambrica

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read what you are going through. Your daughter is incredibly brave.
Whatever you decide my thoughts are with you and your daughter xxx

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I'm not sure sedating him first would work as I just don't think anyone would move him. He's very partially sighted.

My first horse i had put to sleep was also very limited in his vision (which was the final reason to have him pts) which made him very panicky. In my naivety I allowed myself to let other people guide the day and they tried to take him somewhere unfamiliar to put him down as it was easier for the truck. He went mad and I was screaming at them to stop, in the end I took him back to his stable and sent everyone away and it was just me and the vet. What I am trying to say is don't do anything out of the ordinary, keep him places where he feels safe and if having a mate helps him feel safe then I would do that. If it's likely to stress him further then I wouldn't worry, horses come round to accepting with or without seeing the body. I would make the day about what is best for him. I really wish you the best of luck with whichever way you decide, you know him best.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You actually wouldn't be allowed to hold the pony whilst it's shot. And as the pony is nervy I think I'd go down the injection route.

Thinking of you xxx

BSL

Visit site
I'm so sorry you and your daughter are having to go through this. The pay back of having the privilege of being a horse owner. I have had to let 4 of my beloved horses go over the last 30 years due to illness and old age. Injection was used for all of them. it was incredibly quick and peaceful. I'm not advising you to use this method, just telling you what worked for us. Your daughter is very brave for one so young.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes, seeing it all written down has helped me know for sure injection is right in this case.
I know tomorrow he will be right as rain again and I will start doubting this but that's when the real suffering starts I think, by delaying the inevitable.
Life's such a complete bit**
This will be two horses and our long term family dog in the space of 6 months

palo1

Visit site
I held my horse for the vet to shoot under similar circumstances. Carefully orchestrated with me standing slightly in front of horse, next to vet. The vet had agreed that it would be near impossible without me there to settle my horse. He was sedated to make it safer and as soon as the gun went off I walked straight off ahead. I was with my boy till the last minute for which I am very glad. Devastatingly sad but sometimes it is the best and bravest thing to do to help when the time comes. Sorry you are in this sad situation.

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Go for the injection.
We had a pony pts under similar circumstances.
He was sold to as a childs dream...hmm 11.2 of pure danger, fear, anger and unpredictable but only under saddle. In the stable he was a gem but only with her and as she was only 6 at the time I felt it was too risky.
I'm pretty sure he was heavily doped at the time of buying and this continued on the yard as we bought him from a 'friend' of the yard owner and then paid the YO to feed and turn out every morning.
It was only when we moved yards his true colours came out.
I knew that by selling him on he would end up being ridden and handled by children as he was stunning to look at. I couldn't risk it so made the decision.
It was actually the vet who suggested injection as he said that I could hold the pony while sedated and that if/when it got too much I could safely hand the rope over to his assistant who would be able to hold a sedated pony.
It was peaceful and quick and as I handed the rope to her, he didn't even really notice me walk a few steps away. He fell to the ground and then I went back and just stroked his head until the vet called.
Its never easy but I personally think in this situation it was the safest option for all involved.
So sorry you have to do this too.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Hi, very sorry to hear your news. My pony had the some fate a few months ago, she had broken her leg so I didn't have time to plan. When the vet asked if I wanted to leave or stay my gut went with stay and I just turned my back as he pulled the trigger. Walking away was harder than staying. I feel very proud that I stayed with her when she needed me, just like she did I needed her.
So sorry again

Adopter

Visit site
It is such a hard decision, what a mature young lady your daughter is.

Have been present for both methods, both worked at the time for us and we did let one mare sniff her friend after she had gone and it seemed to help her accept it, othwise she was prone to jump out looking for her particular buddy, but after seeking her lying peacefully she did not look for her again.

Whatever you decide, thoughts are with you.

Luce85

Visit site
Thinking of you and your daughter, she is obviously a very brave girl!

I would go injection if he is nervy, I have been present for both methods, I personally prefer the injection as its what I've always used, and I can be there til the end that way.

Thoughts are with you whatever your decision is xx

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I feel sick this morning, just don't want to be doing this.
We had such high hopes for this pony and he really would haven been awesome.
My other issue, and this one is going to be a nightmare is telling my partner (daughters dad) who is absolutely one of those head in the cloud people who can't see that an animal is suffering- when I found our elderly dog collapsed and barely breathing he still wouldn't accept he had to let go.
I'm expecting a guilt trip of him and just pray he doesn't make my daughter feel bad about it as I was just so impressed with our talk last night.

_GG_

Visit site
I feel sick this morning, just don't want to be doing this.
We had such high hopes for this pony and he really would haven been awesome.
My other issue, and this one is going to be a nightmare is telling my partner (daughters dad) who is absolutely one of those head in the cloud people who can't see that an animal is suffering- when I found our elderly dog collapsed and barely breathing he still wouldn't accept he had to let go.
I'm expecting a guilt trip of him and just pray he doesn't make my daughter feel bad about it as I was just so impressed with our talk last night.

Tell him but DO NOT allow yourself to feel guilty and make it clear in no uncertain terms that he is to do NOTHING BUT SUPPORT your daughter...unless of course he actually wants to add to her heartbreak. If that's the case, I think I'd be getting quite angry and laying the law down.

This is hard enough on you. I'm sure when you tell him, it won't be that bad but please please, don't let him make you feel bad. You and your daughter are just the kind of owners a horse needs.

Thinking of you xxx

horselover88

Visit site
Thinking of you this morning :(

Perhaps you should remind your partner what a sensible and mature decision your daughter chose to make of her own accord. What a credit to you both.... Not easy as an adult, let alone a teenager who thought they had a dream horse.

Hugs.

Merrymoles

Visit site
My thoughts are with you, whatever method you decide to go with. In recent years, I have been with around ten horses PTS by injection and, without exception, it has been calm and stress-free for the horse.
My OH doesn't deal well with PTS either and I now send him away if the moment has come. He can quite happily shoot pigeons etc but it is very stressful for him when it is an animal he knows/loves.
I know he knows in his heart that it has to happen but finds it incredibly hard to come to terms with. I tend to focus completely on what is best for the animal concerned and ignore his feelings but have come to realise that he needs some TLC as well. I think all you can do is explain the reasons as best you can and try not to get involved in any debate.
I am sure you and your daughter will support each other but am glad you have the support of HHO too!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hi Everyone, Ive had a very long chat to my vet today, he said we could try and manage things but we will just be prolonging the inevitable. We have decided he will come out next Tuesday.
He's not immediately suffering and I've been to collect bute and eye drops incase he gets worse again between now and then. It gives my daughter a bit of time with him.
We are saying stuff the diet and he's been chomping on his favourite molasses lick and is going to go out in my rested paddock now full of grass to have a lovely last few days.
My daughter had arranged a photo shoot ages ago with an Art student from her school and she has agreed to bring it forward to tomorrow which will be lovely and give her some lovely last memories.
His old owner who gave him to my daughter as a present aged 3 is coming to visit which will also be tough.
Sad times but you are all a great help- thank you xx