Very sick horse

Aces_High

Visit site
As title says my horse this morning looks like he's dropped 50kg's over night. He's staggering around the paddock, listless and looking depressed. Vet out run bloods, get full results in the morning, had painkillers and Anti Inflamms. Vet out again this evening tubed him fluids and electrolytes, more painkillers. Still staggering. Is eating his hard feed. Not really after anything other than some good vibes. Down in the dumps to say the least hence my to the point post.

EMWSanctuaries

www.equinemarketwatch.org.uk
Viral by the sound of it.sometimes onset of strangles can do this rapid weight loss, but I'd be more than a bit worried and hate to say it, but could it be grass sickness?
sorry Edited to add not being doom and gloom. Hope bloods show cause and it's easy fixed tomorrow.

Last edited:

Doris68

Visit site
I'm probably totally wrong, but I recall several years ago, a friend's horse had very similar symptoms and it was diagnosed as botulism. Very rare in horses and the (old & experienced) vet said he'd only seen it once in his lifetime. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and hope that the cause of this rapid weight loss can be found.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you.

Aces_High

Visit site
Doubtful grass sickness due to time of year and the weather conditions haven't be "grass sickness" esq. Did mention to vet along with EHV, EIA etc. Looks like he's been poisoned and sedated. No temperature and heart rate normal, first hist report came back low WBC and anemia - common with viral infection. Waiting for the bio-chemists to be back in lab in the morning. Unlikely strangles - use equine vets who went on other calls after mine. I keep my horses on my farm and no contact with other people/horses. Just sad

Aces_High

Visit site
Thank you guys. Will mention botulism tomorrow morning.... I've mentioned almost all the causes I can think of so everything is crossed. So weird as was 100% yesterday and -100% this morning. Just want him to be back to normal - is still neighing when I feed him but is just so sick. Sorry my sentence structure has gone out of the window. Off to check him now whilst still a glimmer of day light

ladyt25

Visit site
With such a sudden onset it sounds like some form of poisoning to be honest but the problem is finding from what! Is he kept out 24/7 or in part of the time? I would be checking the field for anything he could have ingested. Are there any elderberries or anything similar about? I knew a horse who used to gorge on elderberries and would stagger about, fall etc etc (essentially like being drunk) but would recover within a couple of days.

I thought botulism could only come from feeding silage? So, not sure it could be this unless you are feeding haylage maybe that is not of good quality? I amnot sure if botulism can come from any other source.

I hope they get to the bottom of it, it's never nice when our horses suddenly get poorly.

Ravenwood

Visit site
Oh crikey - you must be beside yourself :(

Is there a stream in his paddock? Just check that there is no drop wart water hemlock growing in it - thats what killed our pony :(

All fingers crossed that he pulls through by the morning xx

Mike007

Visit site
It could be a lot of things ,most of which are not serious.You are clearly doing all the right things,Vet,and monitoring him. None of this is going to stop you worrying like crazy,keep us informed because we are all worrying too now.

oscarwild

Visit site
Sorry not much to add but I have my fingers crossed for a early diagnosis and hope its easily treatable.

I've been in your position and I now how you feel.

*HUGS* to you and please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Aces_High

Visit site
Alma - I've PM'd you location. Just got back from checking him. All of his supper is cleared up and he was picking at grass. He's now his stable as his staggering has worsened and another phone call to my super vet and talk of hospitalising him which I've gone against as he's not insured so funds for cause and fix rather than hospital. Might sound hard nosed to the younger readers but I have to be realistic. Will be checking him every hour and if he deteriorates then vet will be coming out. Temperature, heart rate still normal. I metioned staggers this morning as I know it's common in cows. Mentioned botulism and that's generally a cross a line through everything and then it's botulism (comes through ingesting the toxin) odd dead rabbit in fields from pussy cats but nothing untoward. Just hope he makes it through the night as we can aim for some more clues once his bloods are back. Really not sure what I'll do if he doesn't.

misst

Visit site
You do not sound hard nosed at all. It must be awful to just have to wait and see. (((vibes))) for a recovery asap.

MochaDun

Visit site
How scary for you. So sorry to hear what a bad day you've had. Thinking of you and wishing him well and no deterioration overnight.

Aces_High

Visit site
Cuffey - thanks for the link - I did mention that to vet this morning. There isn't a stream or ditches though the paddocks. Just have no idea and the vets are stumped too. This waiting game is against me completely - just wish it was Monday and had his histology reports in my hands. Thanks again to all the kind words. I hope the positive vibes to Max keep him going through the night......

Cuffey

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you

Staggers in cattle (metabolic) absolutely no connection with ryegrass staggers in horses
Your vet may never have seen a horse with ryegrass staggers
(Cattle easily sorted if caught quickly with magnesium and calcium salts)

The lady on IHDG was told to keep her horses quiet, so not going to referral maybe for the best and hers did get better.