Very swollen sheath

Nari

Visit site
My ID is currently on box rest with about 10 min walking a day (gradually increasing). Yesterday lunchtime one side of his sheath was very swollen, but it seemed no worse last night. This morning both sides were massive, the original side still being slightly bigger. It's obviously tender as he does't want it touched (normally having his sheath scratched is a sure way to be his favourite person) but he was still happy to walk out. It doesn't seem to be bothering him in any way - he's not kicking at it, unhappy behind or off his food.

There's no way he can be turned out at the moment (recovering from laminitis) & he's on 2x25mg acp tablets a day to make him safe to walk. He's been on box rest for 6/7 weeks with acp for most of that time but no danilon after the first 2 weeks as his stomach can't tolerate it.

A vet is at the yard tomorrow & if it's no better I'll ask her to have a look, but would you call them today? I always seem to be calling them! He's a very sensitive lad anyway so when it was just one side I was convinced it was an insect bite, but both side? Oh & some of the vets aren't going to be keen to check this as he's a funny so & so with vets & this would put them in a very vulnerable position.

italylyns

Visit site
My ID was all swollen underneath when he was ill and it was called pitting oedema.
If you can push it and it remains dented for a while, thats what it is! It normally occurs when they are on box rest as the circulation is not moving properly! it is a build up of fluid.

Not sure if this helps but hope he is o.k.

Nari

Visit site
If you think I'm going & prodding it when he's made it quite plain that he doesn't want me to then you must think I'm mad! Ok, I AM mad, but not THAT mad!

It just seems strange that it's come up when he's finally starting to walk out, or is that normal?

magicgirl

Visit site
I had a pony with a swollen sheath which was the result of an insect bite. He had antibiotics and was fine then. It would be a good idea to let the vet have a look

titch

Visit site
We have had this problem both times my gelding has been on box rest for a length of time. The vet said it's very common when they are box rested, so I wouldn't worry.

It would be worth getting the vet to have a look though, they may put him on a short course of anti biotics if they feel necessary :)

Nari

Visit site
I lost my nerve & spoke to the vet tonight. He said it's probably nothing major & get his colleague to look at it tomorrow. At least that put my mind at rest!

I did manage to get some cream on the slightly less swollen side tonight & it definately isn't fluidy or soft. Not hot either. He still wasn't keen on having the other side touched though.

I hope it isn't an infection because I really don't want to give antibiotics at the moment. He reacts so oddly to some drugs & has a history of stomach problems so it really os a calculated risk. Of the vet suggests them I may ask her to speak to the one I normally deal with to doeble check. God I must be the client from hell, the only thing I do right is pay!

Oldred

Visit site
Poor you - and horse! I've had this problem with my gelding and it seemed to mystify my vet who then suggested it might be heart problems!!! I ignored him and insisted on antibiotics. The second set, penicillin, cleared it up. I still don't know why it happened - it was during the winter when he was in a lot but it co-incided with changing (had no choice) to large, sharp woodchips. Once the fluid gets there it is a place that is hard to shift I believe but my chap's went as soon as he was turned out 24/7. Hope this helps.

scrat

Visit site
My veteran ID X is a large old boy and his sheath became alarmingly swollen. He swells a bit overnight anyway while stabled but he was bitten and the swelling became warmer to touch. Vet suggested heart problem as well as he had a slight swollen area in front of sheath. We agreed this was also a reaction to fly bites and he was treated witH AB's and bute. Exercise does help to reduce the normal fluid retention in this area but I find that it is also worse on hot days.

bensababy

Visit site
Nairi, when my boy was recovering from Lammi he had a huge sheath and this was all down to the Lammi, this was a first sign for me that he had it.

Nari

Visit site
Well the vet had a quick look at it but couldn't really say much, suggested holding cold cloths on it to try & take down the swelling since he can't take bute etc & thought it was probably nothing serious looking at him overall.

It's now virtually back to normal & as it went down I could see what looks like an insect bite on it so hopefully it was just a reaction to something biting him in a sensitive area. Poor boy!