Very tough decision

Bossanova

Visit site
Just had to make the decision to have my ancient pony put down this week
frown.gif

Jacko is, by rough estimate as her past gets a bit hazy 20 odd years back, 36 years old. Shes the ultimate chestnut mare- 13.1 of fiesty naughtiness!!
I was given her by my sister 12 years ago for my 9th birthday and she taught me everything she could- she sparked my love for horses. She won me my first rosettes and trophies.
Back in her heyday she was a very sucessful show pony and when she retired from that she taught countless kids to ride. For the last 5 years of her life she has been very happily retired and has fought on like a trooper. Unfortunately her teeth are letting her down and now she finds it hard to eat much bar long grass and her digestive system is packing up so I dont want to put her through another winter and see her struggle.

Not an easy one, she really deteriorated last week and now is the right time I hope
crazy.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
I think you have made the right decision. At least she can end her days happy now. It is a very hard decision to make as she has been with you for so long. *hugs*

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
It is horrible to make the decision but it sounds like the best thing you could do for her. Winters are never easy for oldies and far better for her to go while she is happy than to struggle through the bad weather.

Big hugs for you and Jacko x

PinkFairy

Visit site
very tough but shows you really love her to put her first as countless people have said to numerous others. thoughts are with you - you're never alone when you have the H&H forum with you!!
smile.gif
keep smiling - she will understand.

monica123

Visit site
awww......... not an easy decision, but im sure it is right for her, and i know you will miss her but you dont want her to suffer
frown.gif
well done for making such a hard decision
laugh.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh honey I am so sorry to hear this
frown.gif
BIG BIG HUG TO YOU xxx

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont tell Bossy, he loves Jacko and would be heart broken!!

PinkFairy

Visit site
ahh i second salceysaddlery. thats very true. just cherish the good memories (and some of the bad!) just rememeber you gave her a fantastic life and she was LOVED. not every horse has that and not every horse's owner puts their needs before the riders.

SJFAN

Visit site
I agree with everyone else's posts - it's a tough decision to have to make, but kinder to your pony to let her go before her quality of life deteriorates further. Doubtless it feels as if she's a member of the family. I for one wish it was possible to legally help people to die peacefully and swiftly when they can no longer find pleasure in life.

mrussell

Visit site
We are looking at a similar decision for our old hunter. Shes 20+. She did her front suspensory 6 years ago...a front SPFT 2 years ago - and the other front SPFT last year (in the paddock).

Shes extremely lame on hard surfaces and hates being retired. She stands with her bum to the door in her stable when the others are being tacked up and just stands and sleeps in the paddock, resting alternate legs.

Shes not on any bute and is paddock sound to a reasonable degree - but come the deep clay - Im not sure it will hold.

The others depend on her and she's a fab companion as she is so quiet and sensible....

..but thats not her. She loves being ridden and loves being naughty (part Connie) so is hanging about any quality of life? I dunno.

I wish I had your determination. Youre doing an amazing thing for your friend. Question is - are we doing the right thing for ours?

seabiscuit

Visit site
Its a really tough decision I know- sounds like she had a lovely life and gave much pleasure to all though.
Thinking of you and RIP little JackoXX

Bossanova

Visit site
I know, I knew her joint locking was going but sister called today
(right before a lecture, blubbed my way through, very embarrassingly) and said she'd stopped eating her hard feed and although is ok within herself, may not cope with winter. Now is as good a time as ever, keep her dignity intact! Just a bit of a shock

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
its horrible when you are faced with that type of decision. I totally sympathise with you, at least she has had a good long life.

Sadly we had to have a dear pony (little sod admittedly) put to sleep earlier this year. He taught my daughter to ride, bucked her off, knocked her over but she loved him as all we all did.

He kept escaping and believe me we tried EVERYTHING over 3 years, it got to the point he was going to cause an accident, he also had lung problems, so I took the decision, hard tho it was, to have him put to sleep.

I did try and rehome him to a local animal park that had perimter fencing but to no avail!

When the vet came he was wonderful, pony didnt know a thing and said that all in all you had to ask what he was running from which kind of put my mind at rest. He had a bad start, and had some lovely years with us but ultimately something wasnt right.

Still miss him.

Good luck with your decision and those who are brave enough to make a decision for the animal are the best sort of owners. Dont feel too guilty by doing your best for your pony.

Taurus

Visit site
We made the same decision with our old faithful last Summer. Was the hardest thing to go through and I was/am devestated still and miss him more than I would have ever believed possible to miss anyone or anything, BUT to have tried to keep him going would have been nothing short of cruel. He gave us everything through the years that he was with us and in the end it was the only thing we could do for him to let him go with as much dignity as possible.
You're doing the right thing for the right reasons and are being very brave xx

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Always a tough one this, you know you pony and what is right for her. Well done for having the courage to make the decision you have, she maintains her dignity and you avoid anything unpleasant happening to her with you saying "if only".

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
A horrid decision but one for the best for the pony itself; doesn't make it any easier for you though after all your good times.
Cherish your memories and be glad you will have done the right thing.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
It sounds like she's had a wonderful life with you and has been truly loved and cared for, and you're doing the kindest, but hardest thing for her now, that ANY animal lover can do.

I'm so sorry. xxx

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss, one that all of us who keep them for life have to face, it is the final act of kindness that we can show them