very up right pasterns and hoofs

jollyponies

Visit site
hi my foal has really up right pasterns and hoofs.
he is only 6 months old, he has seen the farrier and he is going to keep an eye on him, im getting really worried as when my other two play and have a run around in the field he will have a trot and then will stand and watch them. could this be due to he is pain with it i will take some pics tomorrow so you can see.

has anyone had any problem with this, please help
thanks

kerilli

Visit site
fwiw, i knew a youngster years ago with a totally upright hoof (as in 90 degrees to floor), who had been neglected. corrective farriery wasn't started till he was 2, but his hoof came back completely to normal and he went a long way in dressage.
see what your vet says... your foal has a lot of growing to do yet!

judymoon

Visit site
Ask your vet as im not sure about age and windows of opportunity (getting old and memory fuzzy!) but bandaging helps to slacken tendons and drop pasterns, if its beyond that then corrective shoeing, yes i know its a foal but they do it at the clinic i used to work at it in the states with amazing results, where they put a raised shoe to lift the foot even higher thus completely taking the strain off the tendons. When they remove the shoe the tendon has completely relaxed and will stretch to normal position. Also you can inject, they did it in the states and the vets here might frown, but its an antibiotic, i know it as LA200 but im pretty sure its tetrecycline (spelling) that has an effect on upright pasterns. (saw the results of a young vet injecting about 20 foals with it who had a bit of a virus, we got a call the next day when the manager found 20 foals with fetlocks on the ground!) but we did use it for upright foals. Just some thoughts and maybe some ideas to put to vet

jollyponies

Visit site
hi thank you for you help, i will put it to my vet and see what he thinks.

her are some pic's of his legs. let me know how bad you think they are.
Photo-legs.jpg

Photo-legs2.jpg

he is like this on all four and walks around as if he is on stilts

Maggie2

Visit site
He needs to be got indoors and seen by the vet ASAP. they are seriously upright and he needs exercise restricted, and feed energy levels may need altering too, and then he needs to be seen by an experienced farrier.

jollyponies

Visit site
i have only just bought him, getting really worried now i have rung my vet and he cant make it at all today he is going to phone me back to in a bit to see he's be coming tomorrow or monday,, poor boy what does this mean for him

milliepup

Visit site
Wow that looks pretty bad and can't believe they have been left like this with no one doing anything about it. Are you serious that you actually bought her like this and the previous owner had not done anything?
On the up side I have a foal who from birth was in hospital (and lying down) for 2.5 weeks and as such has been very slow to develop due to her illness reasons.
She was like this on her front feet but we took immediate action when she was able to walk again as you have to act before the growth plates get to old and set. My farrier has worked on her every at least 2 weeks and she now has a toe extension on which is helping her to come down on her heels as she should be. She did exactly the same as yours and was starting to knuckle over so please please please get your vet or farrier out asap.

Good luck.

jollyponies

Visit site
his mum was of the nf last year and she is 95% wild so when she had him the lady that breed him could not do a thing with him because of mum giving her both hind legs, anyway we got him and he proving to come around and be a real sweet man, it is so sad the vet said he could not make it out today but can on monday he is not to worried about he says? im going to phone tomorrow and get them out the same day as im paying for it so i will chose what day he comes out
confused.gif

jollyponies

Visit site
vet has been, he is not right in his stifle he said he is up right , so little man has got to go up for x-rays to see whats going on in the legs and he is not happy about his stifle, vet said it could be the stress of being up right, i have got to phone the vets about 3-4 today to see when he has got to go up.
frown.gif