Very Very needle shy horse... to calm, result! :D

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
My horse Freckles is very very needle shy, no idea why as Ive had her from a foal (shes now 17 and has got worse over the years) shes a nightmare for vaccinations, 2 days ago she tried to bite and kick the vet why she had her booster, she then needed a 5 day course of inflammatory injections, the vet did the first one where we had to twitch her, Im sure its all in her head that its going to hurt.. and I have to do the other jabs on my own ** I didn't twitch for the vaccine as she was not too bad last year)

so later that day I spent an hour desensitizing her neck, at first she would not let me near it, had the mother of all strops, to the point of rearing trying to bite and getting generally bolshy etc... I started with a long whip just touching her neck, then a shorter stick, then an old electric fence post (6 inch long with the point on the end) then a nail..... not hurting her just touching, poking, pinching, making her realise its not going to hurt, lots of praise also when she was calm. ** I will add she fine to groom and loves having her neck scratched and will groom you in return)

so yesterday I did the messing with her neck (only using my hands) to the point shes really calm with no head shaking, then I pressed an ice cube against where Im going to inject for 5 mins, then injected her, she did jump but stayed calm..

this morning I did the same thing, and had a horse that remained calm and still, so fingers crossed she continues to stay like this.

so anyone with a loopy needle shy horse it can be overcome, I didn't want to have to result to twitching every time, or restraining her and people getting hurt

caras mum

Visit site
Well done you! Love reading things like this, amazing the difference a little training, time and patience can make.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Good for you, there is a tetanus that lasts three years, and at her age unless out and about or mixing with those who might be out and about you can think about dropping the flu.
I used to jab every 15 months even though vets recommend 12 months, but the manufacturers site stated protection was given for 15 months, so that is how I got to that position, [also horse was unwell at the normal time]