VERY VERY VERY wet gelding

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
One of my liveries has a little 14hh cob gelding who is the wettest horse I have ever met.

She has spent a fair amount of money on tests to rule out issues.
He is 6 years old. Is on a diet (as on the porky side), in light work.

He is stabled in the evenings (live out in winter not an option). We have rubber mats with shavings.
Little dude drinks 2 40litre buckets of water at night almost every night and his stable the next morning is always soaking wet and disgusting and the smell of his wee is beginning to permeate the yard.
He is also going through a lot more shavings than any of the other horses including the biggest horse on the yard (17.2hh).

Any advise on how to keep his stable cleaner for me? The smell is dreadful. It has come to the point where he is almost on a bale a day just to soak up his wee at night and he is fully mucked every day and the stable left to air but despite this the mats never dry enough thanks to the dreadful weather.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Vet was out last week and specifically noted the terrible smell of his wee but as horse was tested last year for everything....

Last year was ten months ago though.

Take the mats up for starters and then could you think about bedding hom on a base of shavings with a top of straw?

L&M

Visit site
I know it sounds cruel, but as the pony is only stabled at night, I would be tempted to cut water by half, (40 litres does sound excessive for any horse), and allow him plenty in the field, in the hope he wees less in the stable and more in the field.

Another bedding option could be wood pellets - more absorbant than shavings and cheaper.....or put some sawdust down under the shavings.

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
I know it sounds cruel, but as the pony is only stabled at night, I would be tempted to cut water by half and allow him plenty in the field, in the hope he wees less in the stable and more in the field.

A bedding option could be wood pellets - more absorbant than shavings and cheaper.....

Owner wasn't happy with me cutting water when I suggested this. And he definitely has plenty in the field.

I will look into the pellets. Thank you.

TPO

Visit site
Everything else aside I highly rate Nedz Pro bedding.

I have a couple of wet geldings (& thankfully one very clean and neat one!) although they dont drink excessively, and it has been the most absorbent bedding.

Pellets are absorbent but I found them really dusty when dry and the damp bedding never sat well with me.

Nedz Pro is scented too so that might help with the smell issue that you are experiencing. I only need to add, max, one bale a week.

All their details are on their website. I bought it from efeed.co.uk and it worked out much cheaper for me than buying locally and the bedding itself was even cheaper as I bulk bought 40 bales at a time.

fabbydo

Visit site
Both of mine are wet. They have Nedz Bed Pro under their straw. It's very absorbent and has also cut down on the wee smell. (They have rubber mats too. )

Equi

Visit site
Take the salt out. If he is on a diet and is getting through all his hay he’s possibly licking it out of boredom and it’s making him thirsty.

I often find with wet horses they need stupid massive beds. When I was just sharing my lad his stable was always stinking because the person in charge of him didn’t want to buy more bales. I suggested I buy the bales and do the stable to his needs and I then stuck at least 4 on top of the bed he already had and there was less issues.

holeymoley

Visit site
He does have a salt lick and tends to go through it like a fat kid in a candy store.

I will look into the pellets thank you.

And here lies your problem. Take the salt lick out. If owner is concerned with salt intake, add it to the bucket feed. He’ll continue to flood the bed if he’s constantly drinking to balance licking a salt lick... ponies like that tend to find the salt lick a method of entertainment or if they’re the greedy ones they’ll keep at it all night purely to eat at something.

Steerpike

Visit site
I have one similar, he would eat a himalayan rock salt in a night and he drinks a lot, I had bloods taken and they were all normal, I took the salt block away and added salt to his feed and put him on a bedding of wood pellets, some I soaked but I put unsoaked in his wee spot. Edited for spelling!

Trouper

Visit site
Miscanthus pellets are the most absorbent you can get so I would certainly be using some of those - maybe as a base layer.
But I would be concerned if his wee is smelling so bad after all that water which should be diluting it so much - agree it may be time for more vet tests.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would want a TRH Stim test for PPID, if he hasn't had one very recently. I would remove the salt lick and definitely wouldn't remove the water. The pony might be better with a proper big bed onto the mats, with wood pellets or similar as a base to soak up the wet. I have to say that one bag of shavings per week doesn't sound like much to me.