Vestibular disease

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
Willow, my 12 year old German Shepherd, was diagnosed with idiopathic vestibular disease yesterday, the vet and I agreed to give her until Monday before reevaluating whether or not it was time to say goodbye (I'm pretty sure that is what will be happening?). I know several of you have experienced this with your dogs and I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for how to get through the weekend. She hasn't eaten since Wednesday, I've tried coaxing her with different foods, she just turns her head away, and she was unable to empty her bladder this morning. If it wasn't NYE I'd make the call today but all vet clinics are closed and the emergency clinics are fully booked, not to mention I would be required to drop her at the door with complete strangers, which I do not want to do.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Sorry to hear this. You could try syringing fluids and smear something like soft cheese/pate/Chappie along the outside of her teeth/dab on her nose so at least she will lick it off and get something from it. Or leave a small amount of food down and leave the room so that she doesn't feel any stress/pressure (I know it's not likely and definitely not intentional, but just in case.)

Last edited:

misst

Visit site
No suggestions really but just wanted to say sorry this has happened to you over a BH weekend. It's never easy at the end but the prolonging it makes it emotionally harder I think.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
My mum's 10 year old dog was diagnosed with this 4 weeks ago. She was rushed to the emergency vet as my mum thought she was having a stroke. Vet did suggest PTS there and then as she could not stand but also said 90% of dogs do recover though they can be very distressed while they are so disoriented and dizzy. She stayed in hospital heavily sedated for 48 hours then went home with oral sedation and for 3-4 days my mum worried she had made the wrong call in not PTS as the dog was so impaired/ill. Her vet kept saying 'she will get better' and mum trusted that. She turned a corner after about 4 days at home and improved rapidly after that. They have just been to stay for Christmas and Daisy and mum's dog have had a great time charging all over the place, enjoying long walks. She gets tired and she bumps into things but her anxiety is gone and she is happy, energetic and eating fine. No 2 cases are the same and if it's time, then you'll know. But this was our experience.

bonny

Visit site
My old collie had several episodes of it, each one less severe than the one before. My vet was quite happy for her to carry on, he said to the dog it felt like being seasick but actually physically everything was ok and it just takes time for it to pass. The first time she didn’t eat either for days, it’s hard for them because they can’t focus on anything but she turned the corner when she started eating ham slices fed to her by hand. No way would she of been able to eat from a bowl, she was too unsteady.
I wouldn’t make any decisions about your dog yet, it seems to be common in dogs and it will pass.

Sandstone1

Visit site
They can recover pretty well from this given time. It does look dramatic and must be horrible for them and make them feel awful. My vet said if they improve within 48 hours they often come right. I think you are right to give it a couple of days before you decide as there could be something else going on but if you can get her to eat and drink she does have a chance. I hope she come good for you.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I had a 12 year old lab a few years who I was ready to pts due to it, with advise from the vet he did recover and had a couple of extra years. obviously they do not all come good and with other age related issues it may be time to call it a day but I hope you are lucky and she recovers.

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm afraid to make the final decision too soon since I know dogs can recover from vestibular attacks, unfortunately I live in a house with a lot of stairs, which complicates everything.

On a happier note Willow did decide she would eat some cubed cheddar cheese and about 1/4 of a small pumpkin my mom baked, and she drank half a bowl of water. She is still wobbly but seems to be a little bit less so, hopefully she continues to make progress in the right direction.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm afraid to make the final decision too soon since I know dogs can recover from vestibular attacks, unfortunately I live in a house with a lot of stairs, which complicates everything.

On a happier note Willow did decide she would eat some cubed cheddar cheese and about 1/4 of a small pumpkin my mom baked, and she drank half a bowl of water. She is still wobbly but seems to be a little bit less so, hopefully she continues to make progress in the right direction.
I am pleased that shes eaten. Whatever happens I hope you have time to spoil her. Good Luck.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my collie cross had an attack of this just after her 13th birthday, she took 48 hours before the wobblyness improved a bit, she slowly got better and after 5 months she was back to normal , never had another attack and i lost her last year at 15 when she lost the use of her back legs....so she had 2 years of good quality life . if she'd had another attack i would have PTS as the recovery took quite a while and i think her age would have been against a full recovery...its worth waiting to see if there are signs of recovery before PTS but i must admit after the first 2 weeks i wasnt sure if i was doing the right thing but it turned out ok...

gallopingby

Visit site
Hope your girl is continuing to improve. I had a rescue dog who recovered from 2 episodes of vestibular disease. The first one was very scary she would have been around 10 or 11 years and the second a bout 18 months later. The vet said she’d take around 10 days to recover, the second was a shorter time. We got her walking and she did the stairs independently- her choice!!! although l watched her coming down! She had a third episode at around 14 years and by that time was struggling with her sight and also deaf. Ive also had an episode in a 12 year old who recovered within 48 hours and lived to 17. Think you just have to take a day at a time and try not to get to stressed yourself.

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
How is your dog today OP ? Hope she’s on the mend now.

Thanks for checking in. Willow is still wobbly but seems to be getting better, albeit slowly; she is eating a ground bison/rice mixture I made whenever it's offered to her and she managed to do the stairs by herself while I spotted her. I'd be a lot happier than I am but she started having bloody diarrhea yesterday and it's gotten progressively worse, to be honest I'm more afraid about that now than I am about the vestibular attack.

Hope your girl is continuing to improve. I had a rescue dog who recovered from 2 episodes of vestibular disease. The first one was very scary she would have been around 10 or 11 years and the second a bout 18 months later. The vet said she’d take around 10 days to recover, the second was a shorter time. We got her walking and she did the stairs independently- her choice!!! although l watched her coming down! She had a third episode at around 14 years and by that time was struggling with her sight and also deaf. Ive also had an episode in a 12 year old who recovered within 48 hours and lived to 17. Think you just have to take a day at a time and try not to get to stressed yourself.

It's been encouraging to hear about the recoveries that dogs have made from vestibular disease. If there's one phrase I hear more than any other in my life it's that I worry too much, this weekend has been no exception.

Did your veterinarian suggest over the counter seasickness/motion sickness pills. That often helps.

The vet proscribed Cerenia, Rimadyl, and codeine, the last two because there was some indication that Willow had injured herself falling hard due to the dizziness. I don't know if I've made the right call but I weaned her off the drugs today after doing some online research and seeing that blood in stools/diarrhea are listed as side effects on reputable websites. I'm supposed to call the vet at 7am on Monday with a progress report, I'm hoping the stomach issues will have resolved by then, if they haven't I don't know what my decision will be or if I will even have an option.

Last edited:

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I really feel for you. Our elderly Collie got it, and the vet was initially quite optimistic, but after appearing to improve, she had several more episodes, needed a towel sling to support her to go outside etc and we felt she had lost her quality of life. Sending hugs. xx

GSD Woman

Visit site
Books'n'dogs, definitely stop the Rimadyl. Gastric upset is one of the possible side effects. Is it dark, digested blood or frank blood? Dark, coffee ground blood is very serious. Has she had bison in the past? If not, stop that and switch to a protein that she's had in the past.

Feel free to PM if you need/want.

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
Books'n'dogs, definitely stop the Rimadyl. Gastric upset is one of the possible side effects. Is it dark, digested blood or frank blood? Dark, coffee ground blood is very serious. Has she had bison in the past? If not, stop that and switch to a protein that she's had in the past.

Feel free to PM if you need/want.

The blood varied from bright red at the beginning to a sort of medium red at the end. It's been 12 hours since her last bout of diarrhea and she's currently resting quietly, I'm hoping that it's over. She's had bison before and has never had issues with it. Bison is actually the only meat my family eats because we are allergic to poultry and we have family friends who are bison ranchers who raise/harvest the animals in an ethical manner, which is extremely important to me. We've been told by our vet since bison is very low in fat that it's a good protein to feed during episodes of gastric distress.

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
My collie x huskey (now 13.5) had it about 2 years ago. It was awful to see how horrible she must have felt with the physical incapacity and therefore fear and nausea that it induces. When she first became unwell I recognised the nystagmus and associated symptoms but the first vet (locum) diagnosed an eye infection. Took her back next day as wasn't satisfied and she was correctly diagnosed. She was prescribed anti - nausea drugs. She had a few (2 or 3) days of feeling wretched and then improved quickly. She has fully recovered and has had no recurrence so far and is on no medication related to it. I hope your doglet is similarily fortunate and makes a good recovery. All fingers crossed for you both.