Vet appointments and covid?

Lintel

Visit site
Anyone else or their beloved four legged friends struggling with having to let their dog go into the vet consulting room by themselves?

I have always been proud that we have made the vets a great experience for our GSD, in fact I would say he actually enjoyed it, adored getting a wee biscuit from reception and was always very comfortable and happy.

Earlier on in the year I had to let him get his eyes checked without me in the room and today he had his vaccinations... to my astonishment they stated he had a 'red flag' in his notes for aggression and attempting to bite staff on his last visit- so he must be muzzled. Nobody had made me aware of this on his last visit... and it's is COMPLETELY out of character for our laid back dude. I did think he was a bit shaken up last time but had put that down to him having to go in without myself and they stated at the time everything went fine.

Today he was TERRIFIED to go in for his jags, I had to walk him in myself and leave him in the room to get his jags, once finished he was practically towing the vet out to get me, clearly distressed and desperate to leave.
It breaks my heart to see him that way, I understand that we all need to stay safe during this but surely not at the detriment of our pets.

Feel free to kick me and say I'm being over sensitive. I just cannot believe he has been marked as aggressive when he is anything but? ... I have also been possibly OTT and changed vets in the hope that in a year's time I can go in with him in a new place and make it super positive again- and it's where the horses are registered anyway(and closer to home!)

SAujla

Visit site
Could they not have done the jab outside in the car park with you there? I changed vets to one where I could go inside with a mask on and using the automatic hand sanitizer machine.

I don't think it's fair they laballed him aggressive without saying anything. You might have changed what you did this time based on that or you could have explained how out of character it is for him

SusieT

Visit site
The fact they didnt tell you he had an issue would worry me, but they may not have realised it was unusual for him unless they know him well.
ref:
'It breaks my heart to see him that way, I understand that we all need to stay safe during this but surely not at the detriment of our pets.
Yes, I'm afraid pets needs come second to human needs at the moment. And so long as they are getting the vet treatment they need I would just put up with it- hopefully its not for long. Maybe muzzle train him so thats not a surprise to him, and send some of his favourite treats in? Or speak to the vets and see how to make it better.
I've seen this explained and it makes sense- Bear in mind if you go in with your pet, you have covid unknowingly, you give it to the vet, then they give it to their colleagues- very quickly you will have no vet practice for two weeks as they are all isolating - what if your pet is sick or needs emergency surgery in that time ? Better that humans wait outside, pets go in and vets stay covid free so we can still us the practices we want to use.

Lintel

Visit site
Understand totally SusieT? I think it's the lack of communication I am more upset with.
I'm a nurse in ED so I'm fully aware of the situation we are in at the minute but on that note I cannot help but think that - I am cleaning, caring and comforting covid positive patients in nothing more than paper mask, apron and gloves. Sadly it isn't warranted for us to wear full PPE unless we are doing aerosol generating procedures?
Surely their is not a huge greater risk with me being socially distanced from them, but with him in the room for a minute. I have no idea how those with very nervous pets are coping.. ?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Honestly, even the biggest softest lumps of GSDs can turn into knobheads away from their owners with strange people being poked and prodded in a place with slippy floors and bright lights that smells weird and they can sense other animals that may be stressed or in pain.

Especially males and I've had to do a lot of work with both of my males, even the one that loves people as a rule. No one likes getting poked with needles or their limbs pushed and pulled around and dogs can't say 'ow youre hurting me'.

It doesn't surprise me TBH and I wouldn't let it upset you, it doesn't mean he's a bad dog, just a scared/unsettled one in a strange situation.

I don't actually understand why you can't come into the room masked up, most of the vets I deal with are a lot more pragmatic, and it's going to cause big negative knock-on effects for a lot of dogs.

SOS

Visit site
Surely their is not a huge greater risk with me being socially distanced from them, but with him in the room for a minute. I have no idea how those with very nervous pets are coping.. ?

There is quite a difference, there’s not been any evidence to confirm that COVID can be spread on fur/animals but lots that it can be spread in spite of social distancing! We too just have a paper mask etc. and could be meeting COVID positive people everyday, especially with how many people are asymptomatic or just think you are allowed to go to the vets whilst self isolating (it’s happened several times). As SusieT put very well, if you want a vet practice we have to keep our staff members safe.

However I agree it is not on they did not tell you about the incident previously. I would request the clinical notes on his file for a full picture. We always tell clients if something like this has happened so they can work on it. Many are blind to it though and refuse to come to terms that their perfect dog has acted such a way. 99% of the time it is nervous aggression BUT how quickly the dog climbs that ladder of aggression and reacts is very much down to previous experiences in and out of the vets and I believe breed.

To clarify I don’t believe certain breeds are more aggressive than others, but that some are more intelligent and instinctual in their reactions. GSD in particular. They are renowned for how well they can read body language and their intelligence so the ladder of aggression is formed very quickly. This is just my personal thoughts... I’m no expert just spend a lot of time watching animals behave in different ways!

As for the very nervous animals we are trying our absolute best. Consults outside on a long lead if necessary. Pheromone therapy and natural calming sprays for every patient. Treats where appropriate and extra time spent reassuring them. Just today I spent 10 minutes walking a dog around our reception giving small bits of kibble and praising him as he was too scared to walk.... despite the owner seeing he was reluctant to come in and handing back a waggy tailed dog, who sat by me like a new best friend whilst I talked, they then complained about the length of time the animal was in there (20 mins with reception work and consult).

On a whole we have actually found the majority of animals much, much better behaved without owners present....

PurBee

Visit site
Im amazed your vets didnt allow you in masked up...cant they guess that without the owner there (like usual) all animals are going to be on their guard more?

my vet allowed me in masked up...good job as the bottom thermometer incident could've been something else other than her perplexed face looking at me as if to say “what on earth is he doing momma?!”

Lintel

Visit site
There is quite a difference, there’s not been any evidence to confirm that COVID can be spread on fur/animals but lots that it can be spread in spite of social distancing! We too just have a paper mask etc. and could be meeting COVID positive people everyday, especially with how many people are asymptomatic or just think you are allowed to go to the vets whilst self isolating (it’s happened several times). As SusieT put very well, if you want a vet practice we have to keep our staff members safe.

However I agree it is not on they did not tell you about the incident previously. I would request the clinical notes on his file for a full picture. We always tell clients if something like this has happened so they can work on it. Many are blind to it though and refuse to come to terms that their perfect dog has acted such a way. 99% of the time it is nervous aggression BUT how quickly the dog climbs that ladder of aggression and reacts is very much down to previous experiences in and out of the vets and I believe breed.

To clarify I don’t believe certain breeds are more aggressive than others, but that some are more intelligent and instinctual in their reactions. GSD in particular. They are renowned for how well they can read body language and their intelligence so the ladder of aggression is formed very quickly. This is just my personal thoughts... I’m no expert just spend a lot of time watching animals behave in different ways!

As for the very nervous animals we are trying our absolute best. Consults outside on a long lead if necessary. Pheromone therapy and natural calming sprays for every patient. Treats where appropriate and extra time spent reassuring them. Just today I spent 10 minutes walking a dog around our reception giving small bits of kibble and praising him as he was too scared to walk.... despite the owner seeing he was reluctant to come in and handing back a waggy tailed dog, who sat by me like a new best friend whilst I talked, they then complained about the length of time the animal was in there (20 mins with reception work and consult).

On a whole we have actually found the majority of animals much, much better behaved without owners present....

Your practice sounds lovely I do wish ours was the same, it's so nice of you taking the time and putting the extra measures in place. I'm sure we wouldn't be have had the same issues if we were with you. Im 100% with the you on the breed traits and sense, one of there old vets had told us she was scared of GSD's and was clearly nervous around him which was fine as we were there to reassure her that he was a gentle giant but if we hadn't been there that time I can't help but wonder if it would be a different story- this quite possibly is the different story sadly.

SOS

Visit site
Your practice sounds lovely I do wish ours was the same, it's so nice of you taking the time and putting the extra measures in place. I'm sure we wouldn't be have had the same issues if we were with you. Im 100% with the you on the breed traits and sense, one of there old vets had told us she was scared of GSD's and was clearly nervous around him which was fine as we were there to reassure her that he was a gentle giant but if we hadn't been there that time I can't help but wonder if it would be a different story- this quite possibly is the different story sadly.

We have extended our appointment times to half an hour a patient for many reasons but a big one being this is not normal for anyone, including our pets. It sounds like your practice isn’t right for either of you anymore.

But just to put both of your minds at ease maybe (when the world allows) you can visit some friends and get them to take him into a different room, close the door and give some treats. And then if practices can open their doors next year ask if you can bring him in to do exactly the same exercise away from you. We are always happy to help people with their animals nerves at the vets... after all it makes our lives easier!! There may be times in the future that he has to go to the back of the practice for bloods or imaging or anything that may not work in a consult room with an owner and building both your confidence back up is never going to harm.

As before I am no training expert at all, but I am an advocate of mimicking situations and positive reinforcement. And btw I have always loved GSDs, my grandparents had them and they were amazing dogs who tolerated me grooming them like a horse and leading them over poles.

Lintel

Visit site
We have extended our appointment times to half an hour a patient for many reasons but a big one being this is not normal for anyone, including our pets. It sounds like your practice isn’t right for either of you anymore.

But just to put both of your minds at ease maybe (when the world allows) you can visit some friends and get them to take him into a different room, close the door and give some treats. And then if practices can open their doors next year ask if you can bring him in to do exactly the same exercise away from you. We are always happy to help people with their animals nerves at the vets... after all it makes our lives easier!! There may be times in the future that he has to go to the back of the practice for bloods or imaging or anything that may not work in a consult room with an owner and building both your confidence back up is never going to harm.

As before I am no training expert at all, but I am an advocate of mimicking situations and positive reinforcement. And btw I have always loved GSDs, my grandparents had them and they were amazing dogs who tolerated me grooming them like a horse and leading them over poles.
Thank you, he has been neutered and had imaging before, both times never an issue. Great idea with going into another room with others, thank you! I think we will just need to start building his confidence again, the last thing I want is a nervous GSD in any situation!?

meleeka

Visit site
My vet has been pretty ridiculous about COVID. I understand why they don’t want owners inside, but I’m guessing they’ll have a whole lot of dogs that are now scared of the vets after this.

I took my rescue dog a couple of months ago. I don’t think she’s been to a vets before and certainly not in the last 4 years (she’s 6). The first time she did go in but the second visit she was absolutely petrified and even then it took some persuasion from me for them to inject her in the car park.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I get my adult dogs seen outside for certain procedures (including vaccs) as the practice locally is a converted house and very narrow/cramped and I don't want them to have a negative connection.
The friendlier one was manipulated by a certain vet after an injury last year and it obviously hurt as he bristles at him on sight.

With the pup I make sure not to feed her beforehand and take either a couple of cooked chicken breasts or a foil tray of pate-type dog food and she's too busy feeding her face to worry about what's happening. In a higher stress environment it's always a good idea to up the ante food wise.
She had to be taken in the back to be looked at last weekend so I gave the nurse a handful of chicken.
She's already running in and jumping on the scales and peeing with happiness ?

Lintel

Visit site
I get my adult dogs seen outside for certain procedures (including vaccs) as the practice locally is a converted house and very narrow/cramped and I don't want them to have a negative connection.
The friendlier one was manipulated by a certain vet after an injury last year and it obviously hurt as he bristles at him on sight.

With the pup I make sure not to feed her beforehand and take either a couple of cooked chicken breasts or a foil tray of pate-type dog food and she's too busy feeding her face to worry about what's happening. In a higher stress environment it's always a good idea to up the ante food wise.
She had to be taken in the back to be looked at last weekend so I gave the nurse a handful of chicken.
She's already running in and jumping on the scales and peeing with happiness ?
Exactly what you want though? He used to scramble to get up the stairs and into the vets. Which makes is all the more heartbreaking that how he is desperate to leave when so much effort had been put in to make it positive.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I thought I would hate it but, during lockdown, Hector was ill. I had him to the vet, was waiting with him for about 3 hours in the car park on a hot day and I was nothing but relieved when I could hand him over so he could be investigated.

I am 'lucky' if you could call it that, in that when we first got him almost 6 years ago, he was very ill and there was a week where he was in all day every day on a drip, and only home at night. During that week he made mates with the staff.

He was happy to go in, my only issue was that when he was brought back out, the vet stood at one side of the car park and announced that he would be OK if she dropped the lead here, and I called him. Noooooo, the car park gate was open to the road. No, lady, not cool. For that, I was quite cross.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Spaniel had to go in by himself yesterday. He was "silly spaniel" stressed but no more so than he usually is from a vet visit. He goes wiggly and super-friendly and silly when a bit stressed out though so the vets thought he was great! It'll be interesting to see how he is next week as he has to go in for a check as they poked his bum and squeezed his anal glands this time, which he won't have been happy with. I did ask them to give him biscuits. We've not been in to that vet practice heaps either because we've started getting the dog jabs and checks when we get the vet out to do the horses jabs and checks.

I didn't like him going in without me but the vet was very good and Spaniel went off with him very happily... "oh hi! I'm Spaniel! Who are you? Do you have biscuits? HI! Isn't this fun?" .... I've left Sprollie at a strange vets for an entire day before for referral investigations and even the most clingy dog in the world survived that and was really happy to go back for subsequent check ups. It's only like that but shorter.

However I'd be very peaved if they didn't tell me that my dog had been aggressive until the next time I showed up!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Speak with the practice manager to find out why you weren't told.

I'm dreading almost any of mine having to go in. They're all a friendly as punch and the Rotties usually are happy to go into the vets. However, the GSD suddenly went strange for no known reason when we went for kernel cough and vaccs. Had to muzzle her and I gave the kennel cough thing under the vet's direction. One of the Rotties is a worrier and will let you know he's not happy. He's not done anything, but the thought of effectively strangers trying to handle him when he's in pain is not something I'd be keen on. He's put up with manipulation before when a lameness was being investigated, but there was one very low short warning growl and that was with us there. This is the dog that usually has vets/nurses sitting on the floor playing with him and being licked to death. All bits are very tightly crossed that it's a bridge we don't have to cross.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Speak with the practice manager to find out why you weren't told.

I'm dreading almost any of mine having to go in. They're all a friendly as punch and the Rotties usually are happy to go into the vets. However, the GSD suddenly went strange for no known reason when we went for kernel cough and vaccs. Had to muzzle her and I gave the kennel cough thing under the vet's direction. One of the Rotties is a worrier and will let you know he's not happy. He's not done anything, but the thought of effectively strangers trying to handle him when he's in pain is not something I'd be keen on. He's put up with manipulation before when a lameness was being investigated, but there was one very low short warning growl and that was with us there. This is the dog that usually has vets/nurses sitting on the floor playing with him and being licked to death. All bits are very tightly crossed that it's a bridge we don't have to cross.

Amateur dramatics with the KC vacc is totally normal. After the Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter performance between vet and dog a few years back, after being fine as a pup, I ask for it to be done outside and vet will usually hand it to me as more of it actually gets into the dog's nose instead of all over floor/vet. I don't muzzle (oil on fire) but use a cord collar and let the dog hold a ball.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Amateur dramatics with the KC vacc is totally normal. After the Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter performance between vet and dog a few years back, after being fine as a pup, I ask for it to be done outside and vet will usually hand it to me as more of it actually gets into the dog's nose instead of all over floor/vet. I don't muzzle (oil on fire) but use a cord collar and let the dog hold a ball.

The odd thing was, the behaviour started in the reception area. Sat there perfectly fine 'till the vet walked in to say hello. Cue very strange noise from the GSD as she backed up. I couldn't see that the vet had done anything wrong at all. We hadn't had that one before so it wasn't an association, unless he smelt of something that I couldn't detect.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I think the vet should have mentioned they had issues the first time, but try not to worry too much about your dogs reaction. Unfortunately my 3 have all had to go to the vets during Covid, ( 2 GSDs and a Lancashire heeler), I've not been in with any of them. The oldest shepherd had to have surgery and as I know she can be a grump with vets I just popped a muzzle on her, they said she was fine. Younger shepherd was a total drama queen and had to be dragged in, but a few minutes later came out wagging tail at nurse. Heeler has had a few visits due to impacted anal glands, so quite glad I wasn't holding him :). But he is used to vet environment so wasn't bothered. I do understand why vets are being so cautious, I certainly wouldn't the practice being closed due to covid. There is another local vets who were allowing owners in, one of the vets contracted covid (not necessarily from a client) and they had to shut for a few days to allow for deep clean etc, so that is the other side of the story.

KEK

Visit site
We are not currently in lockdown but were earlier in the year. It was awful. I don't think the animals were better, I felt they were way worse without their owners coming in (contrary to the normal improvement we get with taking them 'out the back' from consult.) Many, many dogs were nervous and difficult to handle. And I'm a dog trainer and am pretty good at handling dogs. Also, it was totally exhausting as you had to go and get the dog, have a chat/get history, take the dog into the clinic, examine, go BACK out to discuss treatment plan with the owner and then bring the dog back! All in 15mins, and it was HOT then as well.. total nightmare. My sympathies for vets having to still be doing that now, I really hope we don't have to do it again.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm in Tier 1 in the Highlands but the vets are still not letting anyone inside. It's fair enough in my book, the consult rooms are tiny in there and hot... perfect for virus transmission. I've had one carpark consult in the summer and one where they took him in. I'm hoping we can get the horse visit for jabs and get the dogs done then too.

I have pretty easy going individuals of pretty easy going breeds (apart from the half a collie mixed in there) so it's not a problem for me. But those one human dogs of "aloof" breeds must find it hard. Still if they were getting an operation or something they get left don't they?

rara007

Visit site
Honestly, I am pretty good with big dogs (by no means a wonder trainer but I’m good at body language and not nervous- I’m the one roped into the behavioural PTSs) there’s not many dogs I wouldn’t want a muzzle on for an in depth eye exam. As much as anything it gives you something to help hold the head still! There’s no way to do it non intrusively and for the close work for a large dog there’s going to be almost no gap between its teeth and my face. My first boss had a massive scar on her face from a scratch that never healed right and was still having revision surgery 6 years later, one of my nurses has just had 1/2 a week in hospital following a bite from a dog that bit through pain. It’s just not worth the risk, especially if you’re working at any pace and if you’re seeing a case every hour or so and you have time to really bond with the dog someones got to be financially footing that loss in efficiency. I know most vet ophthalmologists don’t muzzle but then I know their consult times and prices... Nb. I only do emergency work these days, in a busy clinic. Everyone’s dog is their baby but stereotypes don’t come out of nowhere and while most vets know nearly nothing on behaviour they do know an awful lot about not getting bitten, they see more dogs in a week than even the ‘we’ve always had 5 dogs’ owners will have in a lifetime. I do really support the fear free initiative but for the work I do there’s no time to change behaviour only manage, but most my cases are beyond displaying anything beyond lethargy.... If you don’t know the circumstances of the first visit it’s hard to comment and it would have been ideal to discus. It might have been he ‘just’ had a Shepard nervous tizzy and the vet didn’t fancy getting her face that close to an anxious animal or it could have been she knew she rushed approaching his eyes. Even humans don’t really appreciate ophthalmology exams let alone if they’re nervous and don’t understand why someone now has their face a few inches from them.

meleeka

Visit site
We are not currently in lockdown but were earlier in the year. It was awful. I don't think the animals were better, I felt they were way worse without their owners coming in (contrary to the normal improvement we get with taking them 'out the back' from consult.) Many, many dogs were nervous and difficult to handle. And I'm a dog trainer and am pretty good at handling dogs. Also, it was totally exhausting as you had to go and get the dog, have a chat/get history, take the dog into the clinic, examine, go BACK out to discuss treatment plan with the owner and then bring the dog back! All in 15mins, and it was HOT then as well.. total nightmare. My sympathies for vets having to still be doing that now, I really hope we don't have to do it again.

I remember waiting for 45 minutes for my appointment when it was 30 degrees. That was definitely not fun and bordering on a welfare issue. At least it’s a better temperature now.