Vet bills.. what would you pay?..

SpruceRI

Visit site
I have got myself into debt before with a beloved mare. She was fully insured but the treatment went way over the £3500 limit at the time.

And the outcome was that I had to have her PTS in the end anyway, nothing to do with the debt, but her quality of life. Whilst at the time I felt I had done the right thing in giving her a chance, all these years later I can see that it was futile and my 'misguided' attempt at saving her life actually put her through hell.

I would seriously weigh up the treatment, recovery period and likely outcome of the horse either returning to work (for a youngish horse) or for one of my oldies, retiring comfortably before deciding whether to go through with some large scale treatment

I don't think you can really say what you'd do until it happens....

Bionic Boy

Visit site
I have done whatever it took. I ended up with a vets bill that way exceeded how much I originally paid for him and also the insurance cover I have. It roughly ended up with my insurance paying for half and me paying the other half.

To me he is priceless so there was never any question that I would do whatever it took to give him what he needed.

Ellemoo

Visit site
My girl gave me a lovely £1650 vet bill when she was 12 weeks old, she wasnt insured at that time (she is now :eek: ) Luckily my vets are super, and as weve been registered with them for years they let me pay the bill off in several installments :):eek:
I agree with others though that it depends what the vet bill is for, i dont think id risk putting myself in debt if the chances of successful treatment were fairly low etc :)

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Must add that the horse that had colic 'Harley' when he was 6 days old he had a leg problem, and was down at the same vets, money was no object then, and the bill was 1500€ and would of paid it if it had been triple that, .. but now for me, Im living on my savings, and if I had to pay 4-5K then thats most of it gone and with no regualar income, I would be worrying on how to pay to keep them and myself..