Vet coming tomorrow for the old boy :(...

Buds_mum

Visit site
Well I posted about my old lad last month, after the vet came out and said he has abscesses we still treated him for what we suspected was laminitis alongside the suspected abscesses... Farrier confirmed our suspicions so he has been restricted, off the grass and kept like a laminitic.
However a change of hay has really set him off again, I mean pounding digital pulses. I can see them! He is really miserable, hasn't been himself since the first bout of lameness and now he's moving less he has seized up behind due to arthritis. I think he has had enough... :(

I hate seeing him in pain, although he has been sound for about 3 weeks now having him restricted has made him fret and become miserable. I put a muzzle on him... He shook his head until his nose bled. He is no longer the happy retired horse he was, he isn't galloping around, bossing his mares.

I want the conformation from a senior vet that I have tried every level of management I can feasibly do, we have chatted on the phone already. I think i'm at peace with my decision if abit numb.
I can't see him in pain, he's 27 and owes me nothing.

Now its just the process of having him PTS.

Please would people recommend and give me some views and experiences.

My choices are vet, injection, disposal...£??? Hundreds?

or bluntly the knackerman, bullet and taken away... £30...

Its not about the money, i will find it! But I have no experience of this! I will say although down, once he has his friends all in the stables he's bright and still bolshy and a git to handle (as ever), and has always been difficult to sedate, would he 'fight' the injection...?

I'm sorry to be morbid but I need to be fully armed and in the know. Thank you in advance.

TiaPony

Visit site
So sorry to hear of your situation. Horses have a way of letting us know that enough is enough..

Personally, when my ponies' time comes they will be shot. It is instant and over in a moment. Not sure that I could be the one holding my horse when it happens whereas I might feel inclined to stay with them to the end if they were injected and it would distress me to see them fight. My ex-racer is also a pain to sedate and always seems to need excess drugs, I would not want to put him in a situation that prolonged his suffering.

Just my opinion and everybody has different ideas but money is not a motive for me, I would just like them to have a swift and painless end.

Big hugs

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
How sad for you. Hugs.xx

When my first pony was PTS we went down the knackerman route. My very experienced friend and instructor went up, because I didn't want to get upset and upset the pony. The pony was brought outside the barn his stable was in, he was just eating a polo as it was done. It was instant, the pony dropped down dead.. No stress, no knowledge of what was going on... My friend has also taken a few to the slaughterhouse herself, and said they are killed in a special loose box, which has a collapsing wall they then fall through, so again its not stressful for the horse..

Hope thats some help..xx

Leaf

Visit site
I am so sorry for you and your boy xxx

you have done the hardest bit and made the decision, and the right one, how you decide to put him out of his misery is up to you both are quick and humane and pain free.

Do not feel guilty (hard not to) you are a good and loving owner it is sadly his time x

thought with you.

joeanne

Visit site
I think it depends on you.
If you think it will be too much, get the knackerman out, give him a bucket of whatever takes his fancy, a last pat/scratch and hand the lead rope over and walk away.
Bullet for me every time. The knackerman does this day in and day out so sadly he gets a lot of practise at it, and therefore be my choice everytime.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It really is a personal decision, but;
I prefer to have the horse shot, as IME it is less stressful for the horse. I have had 2 pts by the vet by injection and several shot by knackerman/equine crem/hunt. The 2 who were injected have both fought it to some extent, in different ways. The ones who were shot have gone with a mouthful of food, completely unsuspecting. There has been a small amount of blood left to clear up after the body has been removed in all cases.
If you want the ashes back (we never have) the knacker/equine crem will organise that for you whether the vet does the job or they do. It is the cremation which puts the price up massively.
I'm sorry you've had to make this decision but it does sound as though its the right one for the horse.

Spotsrock

Visit site
I prefer the bullet from my limited experience of both. Nothing more to contribute except hugs. Lots of them.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
So sorry to hear what you are going through. My horse was PTS in October - similar to yours, he had had enough - he was still eating and attempting to be bolshy, but was very uncomfortable and in pain. He was PTS by injection - he was given an injection in his stable - not sure what that was, but I think it was a muscle relaxant. We led him up the yard where he had a sedative. He always responded strongly to sedatives, to the point where he was snoring. He went very quickly. Cost was £189 for vet and £180 for disposal. Whatever decision you make, it will be the right one by your boy. x

Last edited:

Copperpot

Visit site
Firstly I'm so sorry :(

I would choose knackerman too. Having had one pts with injection I would never go down this route again.

Thoughts with you for tomorrow x

Cazza525

Visit site
Yes knackerman in your position. Costs vary, last time I was charged £40 for shot and disposal. It is very efficient and they are expert at dealing with the horse and owner. Unless the vet was there and horse already down, I would then have the vet inject. I'm so sorry for you, but you are doing 100% the right thing.

abercrombie&titch

Visit site
So sorry - its such a terribly hard time. I went for injection - very quick and painless - they put a cannula in and then put it in through a line. He went instantly. He was a headshy chap when we had him, and although fine with us it would have stressed him having people he didn't know round his head, so for us it was by far the best option. I can't remember how much it cost, not least as I had him cremated so I could bury him at home but several hundreds. Whatever you choose, i'm sure its the right choice.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
So sorry to hear this. I lost my old girl a few weeks ago. She was pts by injection, all very peaceful and calm. Then her body was taken away and cremated. Good luck with whatever you decide, it's very hard, but whatever decision you make it will be the right one. xxxx

mattilda

Visit site
So so sorry to hear you are having to make the worst decision. Mine have all gone by injection. (3 so far). They all went peacefully and quickly. Hugs to you for tomorrow.

SKY

Visit site
i am so sorry, massive hugs. i lost a mare 9 yrs ago with lami and it had sever lami for 6 weeks vet and farrier did everything. but vet said it was time and i was heartbroken, i also spent a fortune £800 treating her, but i am glad he sort of made the decision for me. i got her injected and taken away. was heart broken, i held her while he injected her, i broke down, but was so glad i was there for her in the end, didnt break down till she was gone. as wanted her to be stress free last few mins.
my heart really goes out to you, i am so sorry and really big bear hugs for you.

Archangel

Visit site
I remember your previous post, so sorry to read the update. For my three oldies I chose the hunt each time. The last time a few weeks ago cost me £80. As with you, it wasn't about the money it was about the best thing for the horse.

Will be thinking about you tomorrow.

5bs

Visit site
I very unfortunately have had to have three put down in the last 4 years one,one of those onlyba month ago,all where sedated by tha vet first and then shot.I wasn't there but have been there for friends they have absolutely no idea.I stayed with my last one for a couple of hours afterwards,and found it very comforting knowing he was at peace.

Trinity Fox

Visit site
My heart really goes out to you we have lost a horse and one our dogs in the last few weeks and it really is heartbraking, we have always had ours put to sleep by the knackerman we have one who lives a mile down the road so even if hunt is not around he could come quicker than the vet in an emergency.

My mum was put off injection after seeing horse at the races sitting up and down during it being pts although it was not really in distress, we lost our horse recently to twisted gut vet was there and gave injection and I can honestly say it was very quick and not distressing, I think if your horse was full of adrenalin it may take longer but really I think in your horses condition I would go with the one you feel comfortable with.

Bless both of you and my thoughts are with you both at this sad time.

SophieLouBee

Visit site
Sorry to hear that :(
My beloved pony was PTS by injection, it was all very peaceful, he just went to sleep and didn't wake up. The horse ambulance took him to the crem for us, and we had his ashes back in a week. No idea of the price though, I was only 17 when it happened so my parents/instructor dealt with it as I was very depressed.

angelish

Visit site
So sorry for your lad :(

I held a friends a few weeks ago for the injection and it was very quick and quiet but I have to say the horse was as good as gold and stood like a rock even though she never gets very sleepy with sedation and we were very competent and quiet/calm with her so it all went smoothly but if I had one that didn't like vets , needles or was likely to mess and barge about I'd go for the bullet as it would be a whole lot stressful for the horse

pogface

Visit site
How absolutely awful for you. Hugs.

We have always had knacker man out. Incredibly quick no matter what your horse is like. In my limited experience injections can be slow so no knowing what their reaction will be... Had friends that have used injections and have said never again.
Never an easy decision :( x

Buds_mum

Visit site
Thank You all what an overwhelming response, really means so much so me.

I am bending towards the bullet, i'm sure its quick and they know nothing. The sentimental part of me thinks the injection seems more peaceful, but the outcome is the same isn't it. I will see what the vet says, I presume the knackerman takes some arranging or can they just come the same day?

I have so many mixed emotions, but almost detached... at the moment. I will be with him.

Thank you for the support and hugs guys, very appreciated.

MissTyc

Visit site
For a calm horse in his element (i.e. not an emergency), I go for injection. I like to hold them while they go and I like to be able to hold myself together. It leaves me with a peaceful last image and I'm more at peace that way. I think it's a very personal choice. As long as the person is competent, they are equally peaceful options and welfare will not be compromised in those last moments of life.

MissTyc

Visit site
Thank You all what an overwhelming response, really means so much so me.

I am bending towards the bullet, i'm sure its quick and they know nothing. The sentimental part of me thinks the injection seems more peaceful, but the outcome is the same isn't it. I will see what the vet says, I presume the knackerman takes some arranging or can they just come the same day?

I have so many mixed emotions, but almost detached... at the moment. I will be with him.

Thank you for the support and hugs guys, very appreciated.

In my experience the hunt can come out pretty quickly. They came in the snow for me in a terrible emergency last year and thank god they did. Still ... I'm a sentimental old boot and I only use the bullet for emergencies ...

mandyroberts

Visit site
I have only had to make the decision once. I went for injection as my very bolshy boy would not have considered letting a strange man near him without a fight, feed bucket carrots or whatever.
My vet sedated him in the field with a minot debate, and he was not aware of the rest. I think it depends on you and the horse, but my thoughts are with you.

I have the ashes in a casket in my fire place in the lounge - friends think I'm nuts, but I don't care - we were together for 22 year and he will never be replaced

Bikerchickone

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. When it was time for my old horse I used the hunt and it was quick and he knew nothing about it. I was lucky that I had a good friend who stayed with him, and she said he didn't worry at all.

Go with your gut instinct and I'm sure it will be right for you both.

Big hugs. Xx

wildwhippet

Visit site
I've also had three PTS by injection. All quick & calm. I would be prepared to have the huntsman out, but only because I know him.

The only advice i would give is... Don't have him PTS in his stable. Out in the field makes it much easier for collection.

When I lost my gorgeous boy, I couldn't afford to get him cremated, & I've never stopped regretting it. but again that's me & not you.

Big hug

Jaycee

Visit site
Such a hard but brave decision to have had to make, so sorry for you and your horse.

Over the years I've had 3 horses pts. Two were Hunters that were pts by our local Hunt (at the time it seemed the right thing to do for them). Yes it was over in an instant, but the sound of the gunshot and the fleeting glimpse of terror in my horse's eyes will haunt me for ever.
More recently my much loved pony was pts by injection, I thought at the time that she would have reacted badly to the injections as was the norm for her, but I couldn't have been more wrong, it could just have been that she was in so much pain she never even noticed the needle going in, I don't know, but I do know that she took her last breath with her head cradled in my arms and to me that was priceless.

mattilda

Visit site
The other thing I found was a huge sense of relief afterwards. I missed and grieved for him of course...still do, I had him for 28 years. But as he got older I knew the time had to come at some point even though he was fit and healthy almost up until the end. Once he had gone the worst had happened and I didn't have to worry about him any more. Does that make sense? J x