Vet coming tomorrow for the old boy :(...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I've had the hunt for a mare who was down in the stable (and blocking the others from getting out). We've had both knacker/equine crem in emergencies (the latest one was on a Sunday evening) and by appointment. I have to say that I would always recommend our local equine crem at any time, to anybody. When my Clydie was seriously ill, the vet who attended recommended pts and rang the equine crem herself, as she preferred not to administer the injection.

flirtygerty

Visit site
We cared for an old boy, when it was obvious he wouldn't last another winter, the decision was made to give him the summer then PTS, the date was chosen, his owner was with him, the vet warned us he might stagger, so a bed was made for him in the easily accessible barn,his friends were close, he was sedated, then the final injection given, a quiet end for a much loved horse, the crem people sent the owner a plait from his tail, now used as a book mark, I believe in total it cost around £800 two years ago

Will be thinking of you

dunkley

Visit site
Huge ((( HUGS ))) and well done for making a difficult decision.
I have seen needle and bullet, in different situations. The only time the needle was quiet and peaceful was with an old mare, who was shutting down with severe liver disease anyway. There is a saying that the bullet is kinder for the horse, and the needle is kinder for the owner, and I am inclined to agree. Although with the needle, it is the thought that is kinder - the reality doesn't always match. The local hunt have always done mine, and others I have seen shot. The huntsman is experienced, kind and compassionate, and the horses usually go down with a mouth full of food or polos. I expect the knackerman is just as good.
The only advice I can give is, don't be there for removal - it's not the nicest thing to see. I have done it for friends' horses, but would never be there for mine. Good luck, and stay strong xx

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
This thread makes me think seriously about what I would do when its time for ours to go, and thank my lucky stars that the vet is only coming to inject them tomorrow.

Hugs to you again, hope you get some sleep and it all goes ok tomorrow..xx

milesjess

Visit site
Sorry :(

For a 15.3hh ish I got quoted £530 for disposal, ashes returned etc... Plus vet charge so say £600 ish?! Depends on size of the horse and if you want ashes returning. I'd do it this way as opposed to the knackerman personally as I feel with a loyal companion it's the right thing to do and allow them to return home so to speak to rest in peace.

Sorry for your situation, I know how you feel but it'll be ok and it sounds like the right thing to do x

Surreydeb

Visit site
Such a hard decision but all credit to you for knowing when the time is right and doing the best for your boy. My oldies had the bullet I wanted to be there but when it came to it was too upset and didn't want to stress the horses. Knackerman (im told by by OH who was there) was fab caring and quiet and horses didn't know a thing. I said goodbye quietly took a piece of mane and tail to keep and went next door until it was over. A small amount of blood to clear up afterwards. Although very upset also felt relieved that I knew mine would not suffer anymore and I had done right thing confirmed by vet. Big hugs to you xxxxx

Christmas Magic

Visit site
So sorry for your loss!Big hugs!!!:(
When we PS Hudson,we called the hunt and had him shot,it was done in a moment,he didnt knew what happened,one moment he been stuffing his face on very tasty apple meal,next moment he was gone!Paid only 170 i think,and went to huntsman later to pick up his shoes:(
Whichever way you choose,its very very hard!:(

Shazzababs

Visit site
So sorry, but I think you are making the right decision.

From my experience you know when they have had enough, and it sounds like your boy has.

I've lost 2 oldies in the last 10 years and they had both had a lovely retirement and were ready to go. It will be so sad, but you know, and he knows its time.

Please be there to settle him in his final moments, you will regret it if you aren't.

ThePony

Visit site
I'm so sorry you're having to say goodbye to your boy, massive hugs for this hard time. For me I would personally choose bullet, no matter how excellent the vet is the cannula can't be ever so pleasant so I wouldn't like that to be her final minutes. Totally a personal choice and both are quick and humane for your horse, so try to choose what you feel comfortable with.
Take care.

kylee86

Visit site
this post is so sad and brings back some memories of my first boy. he has been sick for a weeks every day the ve was out in the end there was nothing we could do as an infection had moved to his heart. we had him put to sleep via injection. the vet sedated him first he got down on the floore and rested his head on my knee as if to say im ready. the vet administered the drug while i stroked his face and he peacefully fell asleep on my lap. i stayed with him till he was collected and walked awy b4 i saw him being loaded aas i didnt wnt that image in my head as he went very peacefuly. my friends was also pts last year due to colic also via injection and he went down straight away.

you are doing the right thing and im sure we will al be thinking of you.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Thinking of you today. My old lad was put to sleep using the bullet last October. I choose bullet as he had a habit of fighting sedatives and also the older the horse the bigger the chance of the system not being in good working order so taking longer to actually take effect on them and actually reach the heart. I didn't stay i gave him a carrot and handed lead rope to yard owner and walked away he was shot while i walked away no noise from him totally clueless and on ground in seconds. The knackerman choose to do it by hose pipe and after he moved body he washed yard too- only small amount of blood.
I didn't want his ashes back as he was no longer my boy as soon as he hit the ground. I only have good memories and Im glad of that x

nagseastsussex

Visit site
Hi its a hard decision to make but I used the hunt, it cost £150.00 but they were excellent and if and when the need ever arises again they would be my first port of call. big hugs for you at such a sad time.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I've seen horses pts by both, and when the time comes for my 2 I will have the hunt come out, blow "gone away" and shoot them. To be fair the 2 that were pts by injection both went peacefully and quietly, but one had a brain tumour and was fitting and the other had a burst gut (did it whilst racing) and was already doped up to the eyeballs.

Waffles

Visit site
How very sad. Had my old boy PTS last year by the hunt with a bullet. It was instant. One second he was grazing, the next, he was gone. There was of course the money issue to consider..... Also, with the hunt, it meant they could take the carcass immediately - it was all over and one with very quickly. I think I would have found it horrendous to see him go slowly as it does with the injection. Good luck.

Milanesa

Visit site
Thinking of you today well dOne for making the right call, I have been in your shoes just a month ago and it is v hard but not seeing her suffering anymore meant it was the right decision. Xx I used injection and cremation.

Supertrooper

Visit site
I'm so sorry. I lost my mare with laminitis.

I had her injected and then cremated and personally wouldn't do it any other way. It was very quick and peaceful xx

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Very sorry about what you are going through.

Up to you how its done.

I couldn't have mine shot, yes its quick but it could easily go wrong.

When injected it may take a few seconds longer but its not painful and the horses is dead or asleep before it hits the ground then heart stops a few seconds later

Goldenstar

Visit site
Firstly I am sad for you but he is lucky to be with people who care for him at the end.
I have sent many horses on their way mine and others and seen both methods I go for the gun very time .
I get my vet to do it as if they are head shy I like them to have a tiny bit of sedation it's done at home and I book the hunt kennels to arrive just after.
I dislike seeing them injected and had one very bad experiance with this ( one of my own) but have been with other injected horses since which was ok but shooting is quicker but I would always opt to inject if possible if the horse was down I am always there with my own I prefer to know it was ok rather than be told but have been with several friend horses when they did not wish to be there.
It's awful and sad but you know when it's time and an old friend has had enough
Best wishes to you.

noodle_

Visit site
*hugs* to you OP

your horse is lucky to have you to make the best decision for him

Im put one of mine down by injection.... he went down without a fight and if im honest it was almost as if he thought "thank god"....

was the right thing to do for my horse, although some didnt agree (i dont pass my problems on).. he went peacefully and animals dont have any concept of tomorow...

whicever option you choose - get the biggest bucket of his favourite feed while the deeds being done.. they are non the wiser.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Feel for you - always a very difficult time. I've dealt with both ways and have seen around six go by injection in the last five years, including my own boy with a twisted gut. All were very peaceful and quick. Whatever you decide, say a proper goodbye and then walk away before removal. Vets and knackermen are both very sympathetic about letting you spend some time once they are down and will look after everything when you need to walk away.
I think the other key thing is to have a good friend or family with you so that, if you do get very stressed beforehand, you have someone there to keep your horse calm and say goodbye for you.

Shazbat

Visit site
Well done for making that horrible decision. I always feel that is the hardest part but remember it is better a week too early than a day too late.
I have had horses and ponies PTS using both injection and shooting and always preferred the injection.
However......
Last year we had two old ponies that had lived together for years and decided that they should go together. I made all the arrangements with the vet- place ,time,etc. One of the ponies had always been difficult with injections ,very headshy and terrified of the vet so it was agreed that he should be given a good dose of sedation in a feed which was done prior the vet arriving.
The vet arrived and we dealt calmly and efficiently (the hundreds of tears came later] with Danny who just lay down ,put his head in my lap and drifted off.
Toffee on the other hand was dreadful.He fought the sedation,we had to twitch him to give him some more sedation by injection.This did not touch him
and we had to twitch him again to PTS.He fought everything to the end and it haunts me still-he was so frightened and not peaceful at all.
The conclusion of this post- it is entirely your choice but please consider the temprement of your horse when you make that decision.

Buds_mum

Visit site
Thank you all for your incrediably kind words of support. It has meant such alot reading these post so honestly thank you all.

Silver was put to sleep at 1.45pm by the Vet, he was sedated then shot. It was quick and he didn't move or make a sound. Good as gold. He has gone to the hounds, he loved to hunt and it seemed like the right thing to do for him.

I'm numb, it was very hard beforehand but when it came to it I was calm. The vet injected him and he dozed off munching an apple, it stopped raining and the sun came out. He looked so lovely and shiny, resting his hind leg in the sun. I gave the vet his leadrope and walked away, he didn't move. Just one crack, perversly it started to rain. I went back when everything had stopped and covered him over. The truck came about an hour later.

I miss him already, stupid things like looking up to his feild to check he was ok... as I was shutting the gate behind the truck. Its going to be odd him not being here, but I know it was the right thing to do, he wasn't in huge pain but was only going to get worse but right now he looked fantastic, all in his summer finery, he was lame again for two days, the vets were 100% supportive, I had two out and they were both excellent.So it was an easy descion but not taken lightly. but a hard process.

R.I.P Silver Bear, you were brilliant. Thank You for everything.
217283_10150268633984989_500884988_9187570_6997598_n.jpg

Mongoose11

Visit site
I am so sorry that you had to go through this day. I read your post earlier and selfishly all I could think of was 'what will I do when the day comes'.

What a handsome boy he was. I am glad the sun came out for him today. I hope that the days pass quickly over the coming months and soon you are only able to remember the fondest memories rather than today.

Lots of Love to you xx

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Definitely would go with injection. I have seen three go by injections and they were all very peaceful. If you have them shot there is a lot of jerking about afterwards, if you have injection it is normal for some heavy slow breathing after the horse has lost consciousness. Both are humane, but for me personally, unless the horse is terrified of vets, then I would choose injection. If anything were to go wrong (which is extremely rare), I would rather have to top up the injection than shoot an animal twice.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Definitely would go with injection. I have seen three go by injections and they were all very peaceful. If you have them shot there is a lot of jerking about afterwards, if you have injection it is normal for some heavy slow breathing after the horse has lost consciousness. Both are humane, but for me personally, unless the horse is terrified of vets, then I would choose injection. If anything were to go wrong (which is extremely rare), I would rather have to top up the injection than shoot an animal twice.

Wagtail - read the update. Sadly he has already gone x