Vet or no vet?

LaurenBay

Visit site
Ok so I'm not sure if this is a silly question, I'm still learning as he is my first dog.

But I'm wondering if i need to take Ralph to the vet to empty his anal glands. Over the last couple of months Ralph has been dragging his bum across the carpet. Not daily or anything and usually stops within 10 mins of having a poo. I'd say this is a once a week thing. Never seen him lick his bum or seemed distressed. Anyway last night we were having a cuddle on the sofa (thankfully wasn't laying on me) and something made him jump and there was a small wet patch which reaked of fish! It came from his bum area. After doing a bit of research I'd say it was his anal glands leaking. So not sure if the glands are in fact emptied now or weather I need vet to check? No bum scraping or leaking today.

How do I check if they are full or not? Or would you just take him anyway?

twiggy2

Visit site
I would get them checked but stress to the vet that you only want them emptied if strictly necessary.
My lurcher has one analysis gland that is more sloped than normal and it gets very full before emptying, she had them empties a few times when she was bum dragging, liking and a bit smelly but it's best not to interfere if possible because it causes inflammation of the area and can weaken the muscles making a bigger problem long term.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Add fibre to diet, flaked bran is good. Does he have raw bones?

Both of mine have been awful for this, they are very poorly bred (not saying Ralph is!) and have various issues. I don’t know if it’s related. The vet taught me how to internally express the glands. You have to be very careful, you don’t want to damage the things. At 9, mine have almost stopped leaking. I know Ralph isn’t as old. The smell is unbelievable, isn’t it?

If it’s never happened before, I wouldn’t worry about the vet for now. If it happens again, take him to have the vet express them for you.

{97702}

Visit site
I would probably go to the vet simply because if they are leaking it’s gross and I’d want it checked out 😄

I had George’s done when I took him for his MOT when I got him, the vet confirmed that they definitely needed doing and he would have been uncomfortable (he was rubbing his bum a lot more often than Ralph, probably every couple of days?)

I’ve swapped him to the same kibble food as my lot which he has adjusted to without any problems and he does nice normal poos now, so I’m hoping it was just a one-off for him, he certainly hasn’t shown any signs since

Clodagh

Visit site
I would get them checked, I would not do it myself if I didn't know what I was doing.
What food is he on? I know this gets done ad infinitum but you want his poos to be as dry and firm as possible, then they should empty themselves.

Moobli

Visit site
I’d get the vet to have a look and express them if it’s necessary. Get them to show you how to do it for future. I’d also look at adding some fibre to his diet which should help.

LaurenBay

Visit site
thanks all, at the moment he is on Kibble. He poos twice a day, I wold say they are quite soft poos so maybe that could be why? diet could be key here.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Diet has definitely been an issue in the past for my dog, and kibble didn’t result in large enough poo to express the glands (neither did raw (although she still has a portion of that)), so we did have a phase of having them done almost monthly sadly.

I too would get him checked and expressed if needed, and then look at diet and consider how you can make the poo ‘bigger’. Canned pumpkin is an excellent bulkier as are veg and bran.

GSD Woman

Visit site
If his poos are huge and soft I would look at changing his food. My youngest had huge, softish poos 4-5 times a day eating what the older 2 eat. I switched her and things are fine. Also, talk to your vet about canned pumpkin and/or raw, meaty bones. Mine eat kibble but get beef bones frequently and turkey necks when I can find them. The oldest can't do raw chicken so that is out for us.

{97702}

Visit site
LB if his poos are huge that suggests to me that there is too much waste from whatever you are feeding? With kibble there will always be more waste than with raw, but I’ve never had a dog doing huge poos - and at one stage one of mine was getting 1/2 kilo of kibble a day to put weight on him!

It would be worth thinking about a change of diet, I’ve never had to use any of the bulking agents for my dogs that people are suggesting but I also haven’t paid a fortune for kibble either 😊

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Another fan of canned pumpkin here, I pay £25 for 12 tins from Amazon so would be interested if anyone can source it cheaper! 2 labs get through 1 tin every 2.5 days. 🐾🤔

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hector sometimes has the reeky bum, but never rubs on the floor. He has a clear liquid come out.

The vet said he did not need expressing, after a poor start in life he is easily made nervous and he thinks it is when he is nervous as his glands were OK.

The liquid was like clear glycerin. Vet says tough! Try not to get him nervous. That can happen if there is gunfire on the TV though, or a visitor. Poor Heck.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you go to the website allaboutdogfood uk you can compare foods and make an informed choice. Food is definitely the key.

That’s all well and good - but even on the best quality kibble my dog had an issue. I’ve lost the will to live with feeding tbh.

Op, get the glands emptied, do look at a better quality food and give it six weeks to see how it goes. It could simply be a one off.

DSB

Visit site
Yellow sweet potato"Kumera" dry roasted in it's skin is better,our vet says than pumpkin.Our dogs love it and get some each day,if you can get some,try it.One of our dogs is at present on antibiotics for the dreaded anal gland problem,due for a recheck on Friday.

LaurenBay

Visit site
thanks all, Red-1, it was a clear liquid, on the sofa and my clothes! yuk! it was actually me that made him jump, he backed into me to lay down and his tail was at a weird angle I moved it for him and that's when it happened. Weather he jumped, or I accidentally emptied it. I have no idea! haha

He is off to the vets tomorrow (want them to check his ears anyway) so will ask more about diet. I just find it so hard, there are so many out there to choose.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
thanks all, Red-1, it was a clear liquid, on the sofa and my clothes! yuk! it was actually me that made him jump, he backed into me to lay down and his tail was at a weird angle I moved it for him and that's when it happened. Weather he jumped, or I accidentally emptied it. I have no idea! haha

He is off to the vets tomorrow (want them to check his ears anyway) so will ask more about diet. I just find it so hard, there are so many out there to choose.

My vet said that as it was clear and his glands were normal, it is just an emergency evacuation of the stuff they make to scent mark. They said that in a nervous dog it can just be what they do when frightened, as in squirt some out, not diet related.

It is rank!

gunnergundog

Visit site
He is booked in Weds at 4.30 with vets.

Amymay - the poos he does are gigantic! even my dog walker was shocked at how big they are.

Size matters, yes, but it is also consistency. The faeces need to be firm enough to push against the glands; if they are large and soft, they won't have the same effect. Play around with different brands of kibble by all means, but you may find that adding an element of raw meaty bone to the diet will ensure the necessary firmness.

And, on that note, off to cook tea! :(