Vet recommendation Hampshire

JaneyB

Visit site
Someone who is hot on lameness / way of going, preferably someone who deals with sports / performance horses, can anyone recommend?

Cliqmo

Visit site
Mine is actually registered with The Barn Equine Surgery (Dorset/Hampshire border) but several ladies at the yard have had complicated work and lameness diagnoses completed by Liphook and have been pleased with the results.

*Touch wood* I haven't used The Barn for anything other than jabs at the moment so can't tell you what they're like for lameness :)

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Liphook are great! successfully fix one pony with a broken leg. Said pony is now out winning rosettes every time! A bit of a miracle really!

I'm told Hampshire Equine are very good by a few people, ask for Shane!

BlackSheep

Visit site
I'd recommend Eamon McGaughlin.
He's just branched out on his own from PJ McMahon.

Professional no nonsense approach, very knowledgeable.

PM me for his number and more info if you like.

paulineh

Visit site
Depends where you are in Hampshire.

I find Carston Skov who use to be with Hampshire Equine but left to go on his own,very good and caring, would have no one else for my horses.

Unfortunately I do not think much of Hampshire Equine. The girl who use to worked there refused to come out to one of mine who ? had colic. Also found Shane unsympathetic with my elderly mare.

Faithkat

Visit site
Depends whereabouts in Hampshire you are - big county! I live in Hampshire but not far from the Wiltshire border and I use Endells who are the Southampton side of Salisbury. They are excellent and have brilliant facilities.

K27

Visit site
If it's for a comp horse lameness I'd use either of the vets that Blacksheep has mentioned.

joeanne

Visit site
My vet is great, but as a smaller practise if anything bigger needs doing, we are referred to Liphook, and in all honesty, I wouldnt go anywhere else!

jojo5

Visit site
When my brilliant cob and best friend who is now 21 was around 12, he was diagnosed with bone spavin. David Langrish at Liphook dealt with his case and was really informative all the way through. Liphook performed a type of surgery which I understand is no longer permitted in equines (fusing the joint) and Seb has never looked back, continuing to jump etc until recent years (and still can now).
Owners recommendations for vets are of course often based on the success of the treatment their animal has received.

Louisa245

Visit site
The barn have been very good to me and my horse in sorting out his lameness (I have to admit I was surprised as I had never properly used them before)
Have also heard very good things about endells!

Silmarillion

Visit site
There will always be good and bad reviews of vet practices... I for one would never use Endells again. Unfortunately for me they are the closest to my horse so if she colicked I'd have to call them, but for everything I can I use Stable Close in Winchester now - I've met most of the vets and "my" vet, Alex David, is fab in my experience. I wouldn't hesitate in having any of the Stable Close lot out at short notice if I couldn't get Alex - which is more than can be said for Endells as even back in the day I used them, I'd have to be careful who I allowed to come out. I've never really found the receptionists very helpful either - but as I said I haven't used them for years so they may have changed by now! They totally lost my trust... but on the other hand, when they do a good job they do a really good one, and they are very lucky in having such good facilities.

Not quite Hampshire but I didn't read the entire thread to find out where you are, sorry... but the only two other vet practices I have used have been The Barn Equine Clinic in Dorset (only for a vetting but they were all lovely and helpful) and O'Gorman Slater Main in Newbury (another too-big-for-their-own-good place, judging by my experience of them).

Word of mouth in your area is a good way to find a vet - that's how I found mine :)