Vet records question

sassybebe

Visit site
As the owner of a horse do you have the right to have your horses veterinary records? I'm considering changing vets and just wondered if i'd be able to get my horses records to give to new vets. One of the only reasons i'm staying with current vets is that they've known my difficult horse for 8 years but i've lost all faith in them now so am in the process of making a decision about switching.

Spookywood

Visit site
Sorry, I am absolutely no help, but I am also very interested in this from the new owner angle and can you ask for a horses vet records/history from previous owners vet?

BigRed

Visit site
Of course you can ask for your horses vet records. You have to ask for them if you need an insurance claim...

If you are a new owner, you will need the previous owner's written permission to get the records, as their contract was not with you.

shellonabeach

Visit site
Spookywood I got my mares prev vet history with her old owner with the old owners help, she had to give consent to her local vets and Rossdales for them to release the information which they then did :)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
When i changed vets i asked for my records....they got picky but as soon as i told them my horses there fore my records , also helped setting dad on them :D, they gave me them.

They have now right to with hold them, thats what is was told anyway.
Xx

horsemadelsie

Visit site
My old vets wouldn't let me know anything about my horses records, even though I argued with them that it was my horse! They were generally very rude to me anyway, hence why I've changed vets now, and my new vets will send me a copy in the post whenever I ask, and they're always polite about it! :)

sassybebe

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling my vets wont be too helpful, i work there too which may make it i tad more awkward but we shall see :)

coloured_c0b

Visit site
My new vet rang my old vet for my horses records. They were all sent via Internet so my new vet had them in no time at all. My new vet is really very good . if they go in for any treatment they also send me a report anyway of any findings and when I collect will go through any X-rays. Last time I was there my boy had an ultrasound scan which my vet went into great details about whilst I was there watching.

mandwhy

Visit site
I think it would be nice when buying a horse if you could ask for a copy of their records, even if it was an overview for the past year or something, I guess some sellers might oblige but if the vets aren't very forthcoming it might make them look like they are hiding something which would be rather unfair!