Vet scan costs

khalino

Visit site
Just so I can steel myself for the upcoming bill. Would anyone know the average cost of a back scan? There's something up with my boy.

be positive

Visit site
A back scan is a rather vague description and unless you know what part is being scanned there will be a wide range of estimates, if the back is the problem then it will probably need xrays as well, ultrasound will have it's limitations so be prepared for ongoing tests, nerve blocks etc. MRI is not relevant as it cannot be used on the back so don't panic about the price quoted above, ultrasound will be far less.

ihatework

Visit site
Get a quote from your vet - your description is vague!

If xraying Id expect to get the bulk of the back done for under £300 - you generally pay a fixed fee plus an additional cost per image.

Ultrasound has more limited use on the back so unlikely to be what your vet is planning - only ultrasound I have used is on the sacro joint whereby you go in rectally and look underneath the joint

Other scanning option would be bone scan - cost varies but I managed to negotiate 1K cash a couple of years back. Normally nearer 1.5k though

khalino

Visit site
The thoratic vertabrae; just double checking because that's where we sit, I'm assuming.
He just keeps throwing his head down, even after he's had the physio and osteo. But he doesn't do it when you lean your whole weight on him, just when you sit on him. He's not sore or tetchy...I'm thinking KS?

ihatework

Visit site
The thoratic vertabrae; just double checking because that's where we sit, I'm assuming.
He just keeps throwing his head down, even after he's had the physio and osteo. But he doesn't do it when you lean your whole weight on him, just when you sit on him. He's not sore or tetchy...I'm thinking KS?

They will xray for that. Can you box to the vet hospital, usually much cheaper that way than lugging the portable out