Vet visit - really, really, REALLY pleased!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The vet has just left and I'm so pleased - it was good news all round.
In August 2009 a recently qualified assistant vet came out to do vaccs and wanted to listen to elderly cob's heart and lungs. She heard fluid on the lungs and said that mare had a weak heart. The mare didn't winter especially well last year, (she kept getting lice from a pony in a neighbouring field and we found it very hard to keep on top of). Then she had a couple of choke episodes this summer. EDT, who is also a vet, came out this Aug and said she thought the mare seemed well, when I explained that we weren't intending to take her through this winter.
So senior vet came out today and did a thorough check- she's got NO problems for her age (29), although obviously she looks like an old horse, (she was a broodmare for the first 10 yrs of her life).
He also did tetanus vacc for friend's pony who last met him at RC's microchip session and wasn't very happy about it - she was as good as gold.
Then he checked my mare who had acupuncture for back problems earlier this year - she's in very good condition - better than he expected when I explained that I've only just started bringing her back into work properly, rather than last June - as I was ill all over the summer.
So instead of ringing the Equine Crem and getting them out to the old lady as we had feared, I'm going to go for a short hack on the road this weekend for the first time since last Feb. Hurrah!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you, all!
The elderly cob is now back in her field, with the 3 younger ones, where she will stay now for the foreseeable future. So much nicer than the alternative that we were prepared for!