Veteinary Thermal Imaging

maggiesmum

Visit site
I think i depends very much on the experience / knowledge of the person interpreting the results.
I had my geldings legs & back imaged and it very clearly highlighted the exact spots where his kissing spines were, I was then able to proceed with back x-rays & treatment, in this instance I could have spent a fortune with the vet before we'd got to the point of x-raying his back.

Fun Times

Visit site
My vet told me that thermal imaging was inaccurate twenty years ago and has made very little progress since then. Granted he may have said this to persuade me down the route of more expensivie veterinary diagnostics! I watched a short clip of it being demonstrated recently on countryfile and do remember thinking there were too many variables. For example a pony showed very hot front feet but this was saod to be o.k becuase both were equally red. A highland cow by contrast showed all green becuase her coat was too wooly to get an accurate reading. I thought it seemed a bit unscientific. But then again, if you are stuck and can afford it, what harm??

popsdosh

Visit site
I have always took the attitude that if it is such a great tool why have vets not been using it since these cameras were available ages ago. I am afraid a few people got hold of them and saw a way of extracting money from people.

missprimitive

Visit site
I had it done recently on one of my horses. To be honest I didn't rate the lady who carried it out, even less so when I got the results through and she tried to sell me a load of extra services she also did. Same horse was then booked into the vets for scintigraphy a few weeks later and interestingly they did actually pull up the same areas. My horses are insured to the hilt but if I ever had one that wasn't i'd perhaps look at having it done again as a baseline for further diagnostic work

PorkChop

Visit site
I used to use a Vet who used the thermal imaging in conjunction with treating with a scenar - so my horses were not unsound. I found it very interesting and a great tool, would certainly give it a go for the cost. I also think it depends on the skill of the person interpreting the results.

ETA the Vet in question is called Roger Meacock, can highly recommend and he travels all over.