Veterinary Probiotic - cheaper alternative???

EJJ999

Visit site
After a bout of spasmodic colic the vet sold me a carton of 'Veterinary Probiotic'. Bit expensive at £50 but haven't had any problems since. Just about run out now so either buy some more or find something else.

I tried comfort gut (friend gave me one dose) and he didn't eat it - so glad I didn't buy that.

He particularly likes a minty taste.

Just wondered if I can buy it elsewhere.

Thanks.

i-love-wellies

Visit site
Comfort gut isnt a probiotic its charcoal that is supposed to improve stomach pH and aid digestion. You could try some natural probiotic yoghurt though this may be a pain to manage with storage etc long term... can be easier to just syringe it to them. Not sure of the dosage but ive heard good things i'd imagine youd want something with lactobacillus/acidophilus but maybe double check with your vet.

BarnesBridge

Visit site
I've used Equine America UlserGard since my boy had ulcer-related colic and he's (touch wood!) not had any flare ups since. I also feed Dengie Helathy Tummy as that has a probiotic in it. X

SO1

Visit site
Does the vet probiotic have the ingredients listed and how much of each in it as if it does then you can compare it with other products.

I am using the feedmark Biopro and was wondering about Protexin which is much cheaper. However when I looked at spec it appears the Biopro has a large amout of pro and pre biotics in each dose iwhich must be why the price is more.

EJJ999

Visit site
Probably not connected - but have used Protexin for a few days now - he is a bit silly !!! Anyone tried it and found their horses being highly strung while on it????