Veterinary science with a preliminary year at uni?

madgirl

Visit site
Would love to apply for this course next year as I have missed the deadline for this year leaving myself in a very difficul situation. From what I can see you can only do it at Bristol and Nottingham?
Anyone know anything about it ro even better done it?
TIA
grin.gif

MontyandZoom

Visit site
There is also a course at RVC which is a prelim to VetMed. What's your situation, the prelim courses have fairly strict entrance requirements. PM me if you prefer

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I applied for the same thing last year (Didn't get into either
frown.gif
)
It's possibly actually harder to get into them than normal vet courses as there are so few spaces! Cr*p loads of work experience in lots of different areas are needed, and excellent grades, As, A2 and GCSE.

VRIN

Visit site
If you really want to be a vet and have not been accepted for a place in the UK then have you thought about going abroad to Europe?

Its fairly easy to find out the requirements for a place at uni in the different countries...

For instance in Italy, every town has its own university and most (if not all) will have a vet degree as one of the courses. On a single day in August anyone wishing to apply for a place sit an exam at the uni of their choice. If there are 100 places then the top 100 will get a place, if some don't accept the place (some young people will apply for a medical degree as well) then the place goes to the 101 person and so on down the list... A much fairer system than in the UK and there are many more places available!

If you don't know the language then go for a year - maybe work - to learn the language and then sit the exam.

There is also a loophole in EU ruling which has not been tested in law which basically says (don't quote me as I don't know the exact details) that everyone has the right to study at a uni in there own country so once accepted you should (though you may have to go to court to prove it!) be able to swap to a british uni.

madgirl

Visit site
My situation is not that i havn't been accepted, but more that I don't do chem or biology A level hence have to do the prelim year.
But worth considering abroad.
Thanks

Flint12

Visit site
I would do the course you are thinking about doing but i am doing four science A levels so i cant
frown.gif
Im still going for it but the direct rout.

It would be worth thinking about though, but i can imagine it would be even more competetive. For the straight vet course you need atleast 6 weeks experience and the average people do is 12 weeks. You need pretty much straight As as well. Im sure you know all this though. And then most people do volunteering abroad etc.

hope it all works out
laugh.gif

hollykb

Visit site
I have applied to the normal 5 yr vet course to (hopefully!) start next year so went to open days in the summer.
Are you studying A levels at the moment? The general vibe I got was that you have to have a pretty good reason why you're not doing science A levels, as its pretty widely known that you need them for vet school so it doesnt show that you really want to do it if you haven't opted for them. Also the nottingham course is aimed at getting people that wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to go to uni onto the course, there are conditions you have to fill like yours parents can't have gone to uni, you have to have been to a state school and something else ridiculous. It allows you to get in with lower grades (BBC I think) but places are limited as you said. How about doing the science A levels now? If you can't go for 2 years anyway you have time. Just another option
smile.gif
Good luck though!

Snowysadude

Visit site
Abroad is really expensive! I am at notts atm and the prelim yr is basically like a harder version of A level bio, chem and physics all in a year! if you are motivated to do it though then go for it, i think about 18 out of 30 people passed the year last year
smile.gif

VRIN

Visit site
The corse fees for veterinary in Italy are not as expensive as in the UK - you are a member of the EU so it costs the same as if you are an Italian student... The thing you are not entitled to are the student loans the UK offer but with interest rates so low the student loans are not as advantageous as they once were and with the saving on course fees ... As an English speaker you would be able to do some language tutoring to get in a bit of extra money...