Vetroflex and Sarcoids

pc2164

Visit site
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had feed this supplement to horses with sarcoids?

Only reason I am asking is that I am trying this supplement at the moment and have just finished the loading dose and seem some good improvement in movement etc. The only problem is that my mare has nodular sarcoids which have been growing over the last few months or so but very slowly. Since feeding the supplement they appear to have grown at a slightly faster rate. I'm not sure if its just the sarcoids growing more rapidly or the fact that I am using the supplement.

The supplement is natural and is structured around collagen which I know promotes skin growth etc but I have spoken with the Company and they say that as far as they are aware it should not make the tumours grow. They have in fact also said that collagen has been seen to reduce tumours although no study has been done on sarcoids.

Just wondering if anyone had experienced the above.

I have also spoken to my vets who have said that there is no evidence either way to suggest growth or reduction etc

abailey

Visit site
Hi,
I have had many horses with sarcoids and IMO have found that supplements do not work and would go as far to say that if you do see any improvements whilst on supplements its coincidental, as many sarcoids will fall off/dissappear naturally.

I'd advise you not to waste your money on supplements (I spent literally hundreds) and if you really need to remove your horses sarcoids call your vet and ask for Liverpool cream. Its an aggressive treatment and can only be applied by your vet so can be costly (although if insured should be covered). I've had 100% success using this.

Good luck :)

pc2164

Visit site
Thanks for the response and apologies for the delay.

I have spent thousands probably on supplements and its true what you say and the majority don't work at all.

My mare has been treated numerous times with the liverpool cream without successful. She had her first treatment at about 7 years old which was covered by insurance but now I pay for the treatment myself.

I have been offered laser surgery for her as some of them are too big to use cream on. This would mean that she would be put under general anesthetic which I know is a big risk but there are no other options other than to leave them to grow and lose her eventually :-(

I've got a hard decision to make.

pc2164

Visit site
Forgot to add, the Vetroflex is a joint supplement.

I have now taken her off the supplement and the sarcoids have not grown at all so I think it was definitely the supplement feeding them somehow. I spoke to my vet since and he said that it could well have made them grow. Thank goodness I have taken her off it now...phew..

T's mum

Visit site
has vet tried injecting liverpool cream into the big sarcoids? (preferably banding them first) works brilliantly and drop completely off in 10 days

applying cream to the outside of them didn't work on mine at all.

pc2164

Visit site
Hi,

Unfortunately some of them are too big to band. The vet says they need de-bulking before anything else can be done. I haven't made my decision yet but I will definitely ask them about the treatment you have suggested along with some other ideas I have. I know my vet is contacting Prof Knottenbelt in any event for advice on the best treatment.

R.A.H

Visit site
Get in touch with Jeremy kemp Symonds he does laser surgery for sarcoids. He did my boy under a standing sedation. He removed 3 sarcoids. He was very good and he isn't that expensive. If you want his contact details pm me.

pc2164

Visit site
Hi R.A.H

Yes I have been in touch with Jeremy. I have decided to go with the laser but unfortunately due to the areas and the number of sarcoids she is having to have a general anesthetic. Jeremy's prices are great but the other costs involved will be down to my vets for the GA and aftercare etc. I am currently awaiting a price.

I have seen some of his work via case studies and have been impressed.

Have your horses grown back at all?