vets charging admin fees for processing insurance forms- is this the new norm?

throwawayaccount

Visit site
as title, just received my newsletter for my vets- and there's a small section about a £20 charge being introduced to process each new claim form from 1st july, that you have to pay yourself (not deductible by insurance).

does anybody else's vets charge an admin fee for processing claim forms?

TPO

Visit site
It's not new although not every practice does it.

I was with a practice as a short term measure after leaving a horrendous equine practice before joining my awesome equine practice. The in between place charged £20-30, can't remember exactly, for filling in the forms and they were the worst/slowest at even filling in the forms ironically.

throwawayaccount

Visit site
I never knew that, although tbf i've only started filling in claim forms since last year (and have since never stopped!!) learn something new every day :D

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
as title, just received my newsletter for my vets- and there's a small section about a £20 charge being introduced to process each new claim form from 1st july, that you have to pay yourself (not deductible by insurance).

does anybody else's vets charge an admin fee for processing claim forms?

I think it's new to your vet because they've recently been bought out by one of the big two companies.

Renvers

Visit site
Mine hasn't, but my small animal vets now employs a person just for this purpose. Maybe your vets have had to employ someone or found that the amount of work is reducing visit time and so has to cover the lost revenue?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Mine used to have a 2 tier system, nothing if you do the admin, organise the claim forms, send on invoices to be paid etc, all they do is fill in the vet report Then they charged £15 if they do a direct claim where they take care of everything and once you've started the claim they liaise with the insurers, send the invoices, get them paid etc. I've done both, £15 is very little to let them sort it out and it also means they deal with and chase delays. Other times I've been with insurers who wouldn't pay the vet direct so it was easier for me to do it.

I did get a £15 fee by mistake when there was a hospital visit for an already active claim but it was removed when I queried it. However I got the impression in that case it was because I was a client of theirs and a referral from a another vet would have paid an admin fee.