Vets coming out :(

Auslander

Visit site
I'm a breeder (I *plan* my breedings) but I would be just as peed off as you are OP if I bought a mare on the understanding she was not pregnant and then months later it turned out that she was. Being pragmatic about it, there's nothing you can do. It is what it is but I do understand your shock and upset about this. First thing I'd be doing is contacting the previous owners and asking them for more information on the colt/stallion that the mare was with. And if you're in any doubt about being able to sell the foal, just take a look around at what some people are buying! This type of foal appears to be all the rage in England from what I'm seeing so I don't think you'll have any problems selling.

I agree. I know everyone is excited, but the OP isn't, and I can see exactly why. I love a foal as much as the next person, but if I bought a horse to ride, and found out it was in foal, I'd be pretty fed up. Without wishing to sound horrible, I'm sure the OP would rather see fewer "congratulations" "So excited for you" et al, and a bit more empathy with the situation she finds herself in It's a bit of a ****** really!

Delicious_D

Visit site
I'm a breeder (I *plan* my breedings) but I would be just as peed off as you are OP if I bought a mare on the understanding she was not pregnant and then months later it turned out that she was. Being pragmatic about it, there's nothing you can do. It is what it is but I do understand your shock and upset about this. First thing I'd be doing is contacting the previous owners and asking them for more information on the colt/stallion that the mare was with. And if you're in any doubt about being able to sell the foal, just take a look around at what some people are buying! This type of foal appears to be all the rage in England from what I'm seeing so I don't think you'll have any problems selling.

Indiscriminate breeding really isnt it. Im glad the foal will be born know with your knowledge but someone not so on the ball might not have realised and risked the lifes of both mare and foal.

tessybear

Visit site
Hello all i promise i have read every single post and brough an already over emotional abbie to near tears :rolleyes:

Really amazing how supportive you have all been, mum and me have an action plan Vet thinks she will be fine but the stud up the road has offered help during birth if she struggles if the vet cannot get here in time :D

Yes i am annoyed, worried and frightened so very scared, i'm worrying about any problems that may occur to either mummy or Mini T :eek:

Regarding keeping Mini T i'm afraid it is a big no no, dad has confirmed that and whilst willing to help us he doesn't want us keeping it. Fair enough we do not have time for the two :eek:

Went down to Tess gave her a cuddle and talked to her for a bit, she yanwed and rolled her eyes a lot clearly a pro at this stuff :D

This place will be my bible for the next few weeks and thank you to everyone offering advice and help I NEED IT !! :D:D

warming slightly to the idea of a little one, i want to make sure they have the best start in life so even though it was an unwanted little un' they will hopefully have a very bright future ahead of them

thank you all once again
xx

tessybear

Visit site
Bagsy first dibs on foal at weaning :p

If i am being totally honest i would love for it to go to someone i *know* or can keep in touch with so you lot are more than welcome ;) those crucial breaking in years shape a horse for life i would hate for it to go to a wrong home :(

Fools Motto

Visit site
A mare at the stud has boobies like Tessy, and her due date is 2 half weeks away... if that helps!

Good luck, everything will work out fine!

dad just got back to me... no it's not a troll post :rolleyes:

we are having a foal in 2 weeks .................:eek::eek:

Although news you didn't really want, I'm glad I was right. We're all behind you, and will always help in any way. You will end up enjoying it, but it is daunting whether or not any foaling was planned. Chin up, deep breaths. Have hugs, you will look back at this in a few months and cry with laughter! x

ibot

Visit site
I am not sure what to say i am sure you will do the best with all that you can and when you are unsure you have all of us to ask.
I think its great even if slightly unplanned but at least you are an owner that cares a great deal for her horse and that is lovely to hear.

Good luck
xx

Nicnac

Visit site
Devastated for you :(

Sorry it's not the news you wanted and hope it doesn't scupper your plans too much. Nothing you can do about it so make the most of an unplanned situation.

On the plus side,

- you are not dealing with a maiden mare so she'll know what to do, even if you are wobbling;
- you will be off school when foal arrives so have some time to work with him/her;
- ShysMum will nab foal off you as soon as it's weaned;
- it's an amazing experience.

Looking forward to pics!

Barney&Buzz

Visit site
Awesome, please dont bank on it being exactly 2 weeks though. I am available at all times, I shall PM you my number as I know exactly how you feel. You many not be able to spend the summer riding but you will have a foal to bond with and play with. They are the biggest time waseter's ever and the feeling you get when the greet you the first time is unexplaneadly!!

tessybear

Visit site
Although news you didn't really want, I'm glad I was right. We're all behind you, and will always help in any way. You will end up enjoying it, but it is daunting whether or not any foaling was planned. Chin up, deep breaths. Have hugs, you will look back at this in a few months and cry with laughter! x

Thank you it really means a lot to have such lovely, knowledgable people behind us ! Oh i know i will i'm getting myself in a right old tizz:eek::rolleyes:

I am not sure what to say i am sure you will do the best with all that you can and when you are unsure you have all of us to ask.
I think its great even if slightly unplanned but at least you are an owner that cares a great deal for her horse and that is lovely to hear.

Good luck
xx

Thank you :) Oh foal wasn't planned but will be cared for and we will always to what is best for both of them :)

AND
friend just said i can ride her little 4yr old Cobby over summer :D

mulledwhine

Visit site
Not ideal and the seller has a lot to answer for :(

I completely understand your worry and concern :(

You are a sensible person, and I know you will do what is right fir you cx

Good luck, please relax, and have fun xx

soot

Visit site
Best cob I ever fell dropped out of a 2year7month mare I'd bought for £50 at auction to "save" her. Whoops and Yay and Tears and Sweat and what an amazing bloody little cob I have. Could sell it a million times over!

tessybear

Visit site
Does a dance around the living room :D yay OP :D congratulations:D

hee hee thank you :D you lot are changing my mind slightly :D

Not ideal and the seller has a lot to answer for :(

I completely understand your worry and concern :(

You are a sensible person, and I know you will do what is right fir you cx

Good luck, please relax, and have fun xx

Seller was dodgy, found out after buying her sh has sold a horse on loan before :eek::rolleyes: will not answer phone calls so we are telling ourself the dad was a strapping gpysy cob of 15hh :D

Well i have all of you lovely people to beg for help if i get in a tizz

tessybear

Visit site
Awesome, please dont bank on it being exactly 2 weeks though. I am available at all times, I shall PM you my number as I know exactly how you feel. You many not be able to spend the summer riding but you will have a foal to bond with and play with. They are the biggest time waseter's ever and the feeling you get when the greet you the first time is unexplaneadly!!
Well knowing our luck it will be tonight :rolleyes: what i would like to know is should we be waking up every few hours starting now and checking on mummy ?

I think the 'aunties' are going to be fighting for this little un at weaning ;)
*eyes up shysmum* ;) lol

Please do i would love for it to go one of you lot :D

Best cob I ever fell dropped out of a 2year7month mare I'd bought for £50 at auction to "save" her. Whoops and Yay and Tears and Sweat and what an amazing bloody little cob I have. Could sell it a million times over!

Aw lovely to hear a positive story :D

Queenbee

Visit site
Feel like crying.. not because I am happy either :eek:

Feel like such a cow for feeling angry at this but it's not something we ever , ever wanted :(

OP, you WILL HAVE YEARS

You can still ride late on in the season

You can show in hand with foaly

Believe me, when it pops out... riding will be the last thing on your mind xx

Really sorry you didn't want this, but it is what it is, and you must make the most of it. I loved my girl with all my heart and begrudge every moment I missed riding her, but I would give anything to have her foal now. ENJOY it, this is a little miracle, storm the ridden classes next year x

tessybear

Visit site
OP, you WILL HAVE YEARS

You can still ride late on in the season

You can show in hand with foaly

Believe me, when it pops out... riding will be the last thing on your mind xx

Really sorry you didn't want this, but it is what it is, and you must make the most of it. I loved my girl with all my heart and begrudge every moment I missed riding her, but I would give anything to have her foal now. ENJOY it, this is a little miracle, storm the ridden classes next year x

so very true was in panick mode before and must say now my head is clear and i am begining to get broody :D

Last edited:

Boxers

Visit site
Well have just read this thread and caught up.

What a surprise for you! I realise you are not sure whether to be happy or not, but once the foal arrives you will be pleased I think.

And your friend has offered you some riding so that is good.

I know nothing about foaling or foals so wish you all e lick, you have good support on here, with your vet and from the local stud. Why don't you give them a ring and see if she can go on foaling livery there .

Good luck!

Delicious_D

Visit site
Just a thought op, you can test her milk to check when she looks like shes due to foal. IIRC the test check for the calcium levels. You will need to keep an extra eye on herand ensure you have a foaling kit ready.

Just understand, not everything runs smoothly and if the foal is mispresented...seconds count. You need to be on hand and observing and only interfer if the mare looks like she is struggling.

Also, watch out for a red bag delivery. This is where the placenta as prematurely broken away from the uterine wall. Good luck and ensure in these next few days you read up.

tessybear

Visit site
Thats what I like to hear :D Mini T, T and you are very lucky :D Have you contacted previous owner like SF suggested? Any ideas as to who the daddy is?

I'm sure T will show us the ropes :) Yes we have tried she will not answer calls etc, she is dodgy im sure knew Tess was pregnant and thought she would get rid quick:eek:

Well have just read this thread and caught up.

What a surprise for you! I realise you are not sure whether to be happy or not, but once the foal arrives you will be pleased I think.

And your friend has offered you some riding so that is good.

I know nothing about foaling or foals so wish you all e lick, you have good support on here, with your vet and from the local stud. Why don't you give them a ring and see if she can go on foaling livery there .

Good luck!
Thank you lovely :) ! we are keeping her here but the stud has offered to pop round during the birth time and help out if we need anything and offer advice such lovely kind people.
im excited for you tessybear! i know its not what you were hoping for at all but youll soon have a mini tessy running around :D who wouldnt want that?!
Thank you :D i will end up falling in love i know and then getting rid may be tough ;)

tessybear

Visit site
Just a thought op, you can test her milk to check when she looks like shes due to foal. IIRC the test check for the calcium levels. You will need to keep an extra eye on herand ensure you have a foaling kit ready.

Just understand, not everything runs smoothly and if the foal is mispresented...seconds count. You need to be on hand and observing and only interfer if the mare looks like she is struggling.

Also, watch out for a red bag delivery. This is where the placenta as prematurely broken away from the uterine wall. Good luck and ensure in these next few days you read up.

We have been told her teets should extend closer to foaling, can i be really stupid and ask what a foaling kit is :eek:

When should we start checking on her at night do you think ? and what are the signs of being in labour ?

Vet has told us about red bag delivery :)

floradora09

Visit site
OP have been following this as procrastination from my AS revision. Just wanted to say good luck, and even though you'd been hoping for a summer's riding I think this might just be a little bit more exciting ;) I've always had geldings but would love the experience of having a foal (not personally, but you know!). You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on here and also with the vets/stud- so am sure everything will go smoothly for you. :)

tessybear

Visit site
OP have been following this as procrastination from my AS revision. Just wanted to say good luck, and even though you'd been hoping for a summer's riding I think this might just be a little bit more exciting ;) I've always had geldings but would love the experience of having a foal (not personally, but you know!). You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on here and also with the vets/stud- so am sure everything will go smoothly for you. :)

Tess has bad timing, in 2 weeks time is my driving test... and baby, a-levels roughly 4 weeks away:eek::D
Blooming horses who would have them ;)

Oh i am lucky to have people with such knowledge about !

Delicious_D

Visit site
The teats should wax up and closer to foaling drip milk.

A foaling kid is items such as gloves, chlorohexidine solution to sanitise the foals ubilical cord area, a stable rubber to rub the foal down and a phone with credit to call the vet. Once the foal is born you will need to tie the bag up onto itself to prevent the mare standing on the bag and tearing it. The mare should pass the placenta up to 90 mins after foaling. If she retians it the vet will need to inject her otherwise you have the risk of infection.

You will also need to lay the bag out and check its all in tact i.e. no parts missing.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
In your shoes I'd be furious and really disappointed. However, despite losing the summers riding, you will have a foal to work with, which is perhaps a once in a lifetime experience so once you get over the shock, I'm sure it will be fine.

I've bought three mares since July last year and if any if them turned out in foal I would be the same as you.