Vets covering Worcester

stimpy

Visit site
I'm looking for recommendations for an equine vet practice that covers west Worcester and is reasonably local so that emergency call outs are prompt. Must have kit to do diagnosis on site, e.g. portable Xray, scanners etc. I'm currently with a practice that has to refer to Three Counties hospital for anything beyond routine stuff and would like to switch to a practice that can do most things in house. TIA.

stimpy

Visit site
Out of interest why not use Three Counties as your vet? We use them, they are first class.

That's a good question Darbs. Two minor reasons really, technically they are only a 30min drive from me but that does involve getting round Worcester so in reality more like 45 mins on a good day. That feels like a bit too far away for colic callouts. The second reason is that I've been referred twice and found them extremely expensive, e.g. £500 for a 6 hoof xrays in a laminitis case which was more than double what I have paid when we lived down south. But perhaps I need to find out whether costs are much higher when it is a referral rather than a direct client (though if that is the case I find that quite aggravating!).

Thanks for the reminder though, I should consider them since, grumbles about costs aside, I found their vets excellent.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I use MBG. They have a team of vets and do remember that not all clients are super rich! They refer to Three Counties if necessary, for colic ops for instance.

stimpy

Visit site
I use MBG. They have a team of vets and do remember that not all clients are super rich! They refer to Three Counties if necessary, for colic ops for instance.

Thanks for your reply Orangehorse. That's two recommendations for MBG and I spoke to them on the phone earlier today and liked what I heard so I will probably go with them. Thanks!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I took my lame dog to them and was expecting them to say "leave her here overnight for tests" but instead they gave her an injection and said see how she is in a couple of days! She recovered.

Darbs

Visit site
That's a good question Darbs. Two minor reasons really, technically they are only a 30min drive from me but that does involve getting round Worcester so in reality more like 45 mins on a good day. That feels like a bit too far away for colic callouts. The second reason is that I've been referred twice and found them extremely expensive, e.g. £500 for a 6 hoof xrays in a laminitis case which was more than double what I have paid when we lived down south. But perhaps I need to find out whether costs are much higher when it is a referral rather than a direct client (though if that is the case I find that quite aggravating!).

Thanks for the reminder though, I should consider them since, grumbles about costs aside, I found their vets excellent.

If it helps I dont find Three Counties overly expensive for routine stuff, and for regular visits like injections they do a 'zone day' when they are in your area so there is no call out fee.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I use MGB too and think they're fantastic. But I didn't initially recommend on this thread as have been shot down by a very vocal member on here before for mentioning them.

stimpy

Visit site
I use MGB too and think they're fantastic. But I didn't initially recommend on this thread as have been shot down by a very vocal member on here before for mentioning them.

Sorry to hear that, all recommendations are personal so not sure why anyone thinks your personal view is not valid :confused:

Having talked to both practices I have decided to go with MGB, they are ten pounds cheaper for callout than 3 Counties, and I like that MGB are geared up to do everything at your place rather than 3 Counties who want you to come in for xrays, scans, scopes etc. As I said earlier I have found 3 Counties vets to be excellent but having to take a whole day off work to take a horse to them is a big factor for me.

Thanks all!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The OP has the best of both practices available. A very local, capable of doing most procedures on site, practice that can get to her within minutes, who refer to a top class hospital if needs be. Hopefully there will never be a need, but we all know what horses are capable of.

One of mine got referred a few years ago, an uncomfortable horse at 5pm, MBG on site within 30 minutes, on the lorry within the hour and at Three Counties within the next hour straight into surgery. I feel very fortunate and grateful to have such excellent veterinary services so local to me.

PonyClubMum68

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Orangehorse. That's two recommendations for MBG and I spoke to them on the phone earlier today and liked what I heard so I will probably go with them. Thanks!
I’ve used MBG for over 19 years and have been 100% happy and satisfied with the service I’ve had. They’ve treated my horses for all manner of issues over the years, from abscesses to sarcoids, to an eye removal. Anne Gibbs, is exceptional and Zara Fairbrother and Jade Pennington are first class. Nothing too much trouble and importantly in this day and age still a partnership as oppose to being owned by venture capitalists who will be forcing vets to promote certain treatments to increase profits.