Vets no longer restricted to emergency work only..........

suebou

Visit site
These changes have caused great concern in daughters practice....they have furloughed 50% of staff and been on emergency only this week. Daughters hours have increased and they are ‘flat out’ at the minute. She is really not sure how this will work.......

PSD

Visit site
It’s good news but I can’t see it working. My vets are still only covering essential/emergency work

View

Visit site
Vet practises are free to unfurlough their staff if they now need them to work.

As long as the staff in question have been on furlough for a minimum of three weeks i.e. the period of furlough cannot be less than three weeks. We're trying to plan our return to full schedules so that we don't get caught out if things change quickly.

Last edited:

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site
Because it was never ruled out by the guidelines.

People were allowed to work normally as long as they could social distance.

Since the lockdown we've had the builders round to install the doors for our new barns and the gardener last week to mow the lawn and attack the never to be defeated brambles. People who can work from home should but if you can't, as long as you can stick to the social distancing rules, you can still go to work - unless your employer has furloughed you.

Xtra

Visit site
Mine didnt stop vaccs but you had to cover several areas to safe guard the vets. I had to get mine out to do an ongoing injury treatment and we made sure there was ample space and everything was cleaned before and after his arrival. Was a bit odd discussing my horses treatment across the car park though lol. Anything else that can be done by email/vid link etc is being done that way.

angrybird1

Visit site
With furlough they can call you back to work within first 3 weeks it just means the employers will have to pay you not the government.
That's how I understand it anyway.

PSD

Visit site
I do hope so. A neighbours little dog died four days ago because the return of her pneumonia wasn’t deemed an emergency, so antibiotics were sent through the post. They didn’t arrive in time ?

that is heartbreaking

SOS

Visit site
Odd that the Government advice hasn’t changed though. Has the novelty worn off now? Or have they now realised they over reacted?

Neither. The RCVS and BVA (governing bodies of the veterinary world) issued advice immediately following the announcement of a three week lock down on what vets could and could not do, in the interest of animal health, welfare and public health for a three week period. The lockdown has now been pretty much confirmed to be extended so the RCVS/BVA have had to include more allowed procedures in the interest of animal health, welfare and public health for a prolonged period of time. Naturally what may not of needed seeing within a three week time period may need to be seen in a several month period so the procedures allowed have been increased.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an explosion in the number of kittens, guinea pigs and rabbits in the next few weeks and months.,

Sugar Plum

Visit site
A bit difficult if your horse doesn't tie up. I assume you can leave your horse in its stable and walk away though if you are to keep the 10 metre rule.

be positive

Visit site
A bit difficult if your horse doesn't tie up. I assume you can leave your horse in its stable and walk away though if you are to keep the 10 metre rule.

I think this could be tricky, if the vet needs to hold the horse and inject there is a small risk if it objects or if they cannot catch hold of the rope in the first place, this morning my vet arrived, I opened the yard gate, tied horse up on the yard while she got ready, stepped well back while she checked heart, did jab and went to wash hands, horse stood perfectly as I knew he would and neither of us were ever closer than 10m, more most of the very short time she was here.

It is a time that the well mannered easy horses that are easy to deal with, happy to have other people handling them will be appreciated by any professional who does come, tying up is a fairly basic requirement and one that most horses can be taught to cope with under fairly close supervision, now may be the time to address it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Our vets are risk assessing each visit and horse. Tricky horses will not get jabbed.

Infection protocol wise, I’d prefer mine to be tied up outside the stable, like I did for the farrier recently. I stayed at least 2m away from him, but 10m would be no bother. All gates etc already open so vet/farrier has no need to touch anything but the horse. I used dedicated washable nylon headcollars and my only red headcollar rope, clean for each visit. Red hand washing bucket in the background.

048330A2-4DD2-41A5-97D2-EC52609881C5.jpeg

Last edited: