Vets want people to stop buying Bulldogs

maisie06

Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61799718

I think the damage is too far gone. I also disagree with them being undeniably cute, nothing about them appears cute to me

Unti shows such as Crufts ban the exibiting of these breeds nothing will be done , I can't see how these judges can look at the flat face, folds of skin and the struggle to breathe and think that dog is either healthy or normal- Instagram influencers and celebrities also have a huge part to play.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I half watched the late Sunday morning BBC programme and some breed representative was saying "oh no it's not THIS type of KC acceptable bulldog that's the problem, it's all them weird other types of British Bulldog that's the issue" pointing to her own deformed dog. Forgive my terminology, and I paraphrase her quote but that's how it looks to me (owner of a rehomed, poorly bred pedigree cat that has health issues).

maisie06

Visit site

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
This is going to sound callous but I would have had them all PTS to save them a life of misery and potential adopters the heartbreak of caring for a very sick dog that can't lead a normal life.

Not at all, I thought exactly the same. However, I can see how that would be tough for a rescue, as that would upset a lot of their animal loving followers and thus their donations may drop significantly. Or you do it on the quiet and risk having the same sort of reputation as the RSPCA has.. it's a lose lose.

GSD Woman

Visit site
This is going to sound callous but I would have had them all PTS to save them a life of misery and potential adopters the heartbreak of caring for a very sick dog that can't lead a normal life.

If it was just the owners I wouldn't care. They should have done their research before getting such a pet. I don't like the fact that the poor dogs can't breath or even move normally. The breeders that have evolved these breeds need a good smacking.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I said exactly the same when I saw this story. A lifetime of pain and expense is ahead for these poor creatures, and for anyone who takes one of them on. PTS would be the kindest option.

P3LH

Visit site
I’ve said it many times before here but outcrossing and an optional pause (where breeders may choose) of closed stud books is needed. No matter how many good breeders there are, imports, low COIS ETC in a breed - eventually if we keep just going in and in, there will be nothing left.

With my own two breeds I’d outcross if I could/wanted to breed. For my rough collie, I’d incorporate Welsh sheepdog blood, sighthound blood and their smooth (vulnerable) cousins. They’re essentially posh lurchers anyway as we’re the scotch rough collie types out to sighthounds and setters to create the showy version we know. For my Pembroke corgis I’d incorporate Lancashire heeler, vallhund and probably those lines of lithe, foxy, red coloured Jack Russell that show an influx of old corgi way back. Again, at their point of recognition they were a farm yard tyke of no fixed type that were defined only by dwarf legs, and the way they worked - heelers who nipped and ducked. The list is endless for other breeds I can imagine outcrossing too.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m with those saying immediate pts, they’re never going to be happy, healthy dogs pelting round, are they? I think it’s disgusting to put them through a life of suffering with multiple surgeries. It’s the one thing we can do for animals that we can’t do for humans, pts with dignity to end suffering.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I filled in the Blue Cross pet census the other day, and today a very nice man from the Blue Cross called me, he very politely listened while I bored him with details of my own pets, well he did ask! He was telling me about the #endthetrend campaign they are running, to stop the use of brachycephalic pets in advertising campaigns. Some of the facts he was telling me especially about pugs were just horrific! Hopefully they will advertise their campaign more and maybe people will take some notice because they are a well known charity. Although I do have to admit to accidently ending up being the slave to a flat faced cat, I would never intentionally get a flat faced pet. Luckily mine isn't so extreme and at about 10 years old has no health issues.

fetlock

Visit site
Family had a bulldog about 30 years ago.
Hot weather was a nightmare for her. You couldn't take her for a walk in the hottest weather and not very far in moderately hot weather.
Her wrinkles and the inside of her piglet tail used to weep too so had to be constantly bathed and dusted with talc.
It's appalling what bulldogs have become, from their far healthier ancestors.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Bulldogs could be outcrossed to Staffy Bulls, American Staffordshire terriers, Olde American Bulldogs and so on.

Pugs could be outcrossed with with any smaller type with a decent head and build. They may lose "type" for a while but that would be a good thing IMO.

In the US we need to make all 4 Belgians one breed with 4 coat varieties. Calling them separate breeds is stupid. Again IMO.

Nasicus

Visit site
I agree with you for not only the interests of the dogs themselves but also:
"The charity say the dogs now need investigative tests, X-rays and surgeries, that’ll likely cost Hope Rescue an estimated £20,000."
That's a lot of money that could help a LOT more dogs than 10 genetic abominations live what are likely to be very limited, short lives. I don't think it's ethical of a rescue/charity to spend that kind of donation money on such a small number of animals. If they wanted to privately fund it, then go nuts.

GSD Woman

Visit site
"The charity say the dogs now need investigative tests, X-rays and surgeries, that’ll likely cost Hope Rescue an estimated £20,000."
That's a lot of money that could help a LOT more dogs than 10 genetic abominations live what are likely to be very limited, short lives. I don't think it's ethical of a rescue/charity to spend that kind of donation money on such a small number of animals. If they wanted to privately fund it, then go nuts.

This. So much this. I hate it when rescues/shelters make money to treat horrible issues instead of helping nice, basically healthy pets to be adopted.

SOS

Visit site
There is a lot of talk in the veterinary industry about this. There was a debate the other day about what would happen if we banned brachycephalic breeds and some interesting points arose:
1) banning a breed is not productive, instead you need to ban either certain confirmations OR test dogs on function I.e could have a short nose but function well or a longer nose but function badly
2) these breeds have more than just respiratory problems going on, however fixing the situation is approached the last thing we want to do is push owners away as these dogs will need veterinary attention at some point
3) banning breeding will push it unground and those buying won’t care
4) the publics perception of these breeds is a million miles away from veterinary. You only have to hear people talk about their “cute snore” or sleeping with a toy in their mouth (so they can breath) or how they are so placid (because they cannot exert themselves)

It’s not an easy situation to fix.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I know this isn’t necessarily the thread for this but I am angered by so much I see on social media involving animals.. and this is just the latest one.

A Tik Tok account called ‘future frenchies’ who are advertising their dogs based on ‘big ropes’, starting at £30k apparently. Not only am I astounded there is a market for this, just look at this dog, I don’t need to say any more. They have puppies of all ages with the same characteristics too so clearly it wasn’t an accident.

E06870F4-5A77-4528-9CB9-9DF897096EE3.jpeg

Petalpoos

Visit site
A Tik Tok account called ‘future frenchies’ who are advertising their dogs based on ‘big ropes’, starting at £30k apparently. Not only am I astounded there is a market for this, just look at this dog, I don’t need to say any more. They have puppies of all ages with the same characteristics too so clearly it wasn’t an accident.

[/QUOTE]

I just don’t know what to say but torture as a way of making money springs to mind.

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
I know this isn’t necessarily the thread for this but I am angered by so much I see on social media involving animals.. and this is just the latest one.

View attachment 95523

I just can't understand the appeal in a dog that deformed. My mom and I recently saw a Frenchie with a longer muzzle and not only was it more attractive but it also seemed to have a better quality of life. They aren't a breed that I would want to own but if people must breed them they should at least aim for an animal that is able to function as a dog.

scats

Visit site
I know I’ve mentioned this before but I groom a frenchie who has some of the worst breathing I have ever seen. He vomits constantly as a result and has a pronounced rib cage and sucked in stomach from heaving constantly to breathe. It’s very distressing to witness and he seems such a happy little soul, but what a dreadfully uncomfortable time he must have.
His owner has admitted she didn’t realise how bad this breed was for this and will never get another.

GSD Woman

Visit site
That poor Frenchie looks like it has been crossed with Shar Pei. It is going to need those rolls baby powdered or have corn starch daily as well as being cleaned and dried.

That picture made me want to vomit. sort of like some of the American show lines GSDs. I refer to them as hock walking a$$ draggers. But they can breathe.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

View attachment 95523

I know nothing about TikTok, unsurprisingly. Is there a way of reporting the post?

This is clearly a money making scheme, but blow me, who buys a dog looking like that? One of my greatest pleasures is watching my lot gallop round the woods/swim/play fight. That dog will be able to do none of those things. ?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
That poor Frenchie looks like it has been crossed with Shar Pei. It is going to need those rolls baby powdered or have corn starch daily as well as being cleaned and dried.

That picture made me want to vomit. sort of like some of the American show lines GSDs. I refer to them as hock walking a$$ draggers. But they can breathe.

Oh, it's better than that.. it's been crossed with a chowchow... because they're fantastically healthy, good even tempered dogs, and a frenchie bitch should birth those size puppies fabulously.

I know nothing about TikTok, unsurprisingly. Is there a way of reporting the post?

This is clearly a money making scheme, but blow me, who buys a dog looking like that? One of my greatest pleasures is watching my lot gallop round the woods/swim/play fight. That dog will be able to do none of those things. ?

I did think about it as I wanted to find a way to have it taken down so other people can't see it and decide they like it, but unfortunately you can only report for animal cruelty which this isn't in the obvious sense, so it would be reviewed and left up. I would then have to report the hundreds of videos on their page of all their dogs which look like this.

My feed has been plagued by hideously overweight riders, hideously obese horses, Tennessee Walking Horses with stupidly tight side reins on as 2yo's, lame horses being ridden and idiots with dogs.. I have had to just block them all, as there's nothing I can do about it and it was really getting me down.

Reactions: TPO

smiggy

Visit site
Last year I had a lovely owner with a gorgeous year old Frenchie that literally couldn’t breathe, it was constantly retching and going blue. She had insufficient funds and no insurance. I managed to phone around a found a practice about 200 miles away that offered fixed low price surgery. She went there, had surgery done. a Few months ago I had to euthanise him. The surgery hadnt worked well enough to give him a reasonable quality of life. Not that they hadnt done a great job, he had just been at the bad end of the spectrum. So sad, poor little dog had no chance of a good quality of life.
so no , vets really do t want you to buy theses dogs, we dont want your money, we don’t want to cry about euthanising sweet little dogs .