Vetting a 2 1/2 week old foal - Any experience of this?

[142807]

Visit site
I bought an elite foal and had a simple heart, eyes and breathing vetting. Limbs change so could only check a brief toe in out and lower limb. Limb conformations is changing from day one until at least 6 months and probably a year. You can only insure for accident/illness as conformation is pre exsisting or developemental so no cover. I am afraid you pay your money and take a chance
Hello, thank you for the information I now see a flexion test isn’t the norm which is good as I was concerned about that.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
In Britain we don't have any elite horses, we don't compete at high levels as your home country does, therefore we don't have elite foals.
Good luck with your search for decent advice.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
In Britain we don't have any elite horses, we don't compete at high levels as your home country does, therefore we don't have elite foals.
We do have elite foals bred in this country. They are sold at days old and the new owner does insure them.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
can someone explain what an elite horse is please?
Not off Dragon Driving - and yes, I am being facetious. I expect it's pricey and subject to T's&C's for insurance and the OP just clarified why the vetting was necessary so early on, and what it entails. I have learnt a few things - one of which is that some folks need to get off their high (possibly elite and possibly not) horses!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I posted on another thread that I was once asked to pay for in full and insure a foal til weaning, all the risks being mine, though it would not have been in my care.

I thought that it was a wind up, but it turns out that it is indeed a thing. I was expecting to pay a decent deposit, with the balance due at weaning, at which point I would own the foal.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I posted on another thread that I was once asked to pay for in full and insure a foal til weaning, all the risks being mine, though it would not have been in my care.

I thought that it was a wind up, but it turns out that it is indeed a thing. I was expecting to pay a decent deposit, with the balance due at weaning, at which point I would own the foal.
A highly bred foal can be sold in full from the minute its dropped, in which case it will need a vet cert (not a 5 or 2 stage) and insuring by the purchaser by that point. Some have deposits put down when in utero.
Other pedigree breeders take a deposit when foal is born healthy and it's down to purchaser if they want to insure at that point, or, the stud/ mare owner assumes responsibility till balance is paid.
Various ways of doing things :)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

Surely sometimes if we want to buy a proper, decent sort of elite horse we get them from elite breeders in foreign countries? So we might have had to get an elite foal vetted? I mean, not me, obviously, I make do with random Irish things.