Vetting a yearling?

_jetset_

Visit site
I am going looking at a yearling this weekend and was wondering whether people tend to get yearlings vetted and if so is it just a basic heart, lungs, eyes check?

Allie5

Visit site
My boy had a 2 stage at 6 months and it was basically heart/lungs/ eyes/limbs. Nothing in any great detail but just enough to spot any glaring abnormalities. So vet looked at his eyes in a dark stable, listened to his lungs both resting and after a bit of hooning about with the other youngsters, listened to his heart and finally checked all his limbs/joints for any defects. I was also offered blood tests but I didn't really feel it was needed.

TBB

Visit site
At sales most buyers seem to do basic heart/lungs/eyes and limbs before they buy and once they buy they wind test. As far as I know they fail if they make a noise and have paralysis.

ScarlettLady

Visit site
am buying a 3 yr old at the moment, and i wanted a 2 stage vetting (just eyes, heart, lung, confirmation check at rest, and lameness check) but none of my local vets will do a 2 stage, so I'm having it 5 stage vetted :(
I'd have preferred the 2 stage though :D

popsdosh

Visit site
am buying a 3 yr old at the moment, and i wanted a 2 stage vetting (just eyes, heart, lung, confirmation check at rest, and lameness check) but none of my local vets will do a 2 stage, so I'm having it 5 stage vetted :(
I'd have preferred the 2 stage though :D
You insist on a 2 stage your the customer they are just drumming up business absolute twaddle that they will not do a 2 stage, with a 3yo they cannot do a full 5 stage unless the horse is broken and done a fair amount of work.Hence a nice earner for them.

ScarlettLady

Visit site
You insist on a 2 stage your the customer they are just drumming up business absolute twaddle that they will not do a 2 stage, with a 3yo they cannot do a full 5 stage unless the horse is broken and done a fair amount of work.Hence a nice earner for them.

This was my argument, as yes horse is broken, but had been turned away. apparently its ok to lunge him.... (living on an island its a bit of a monopoly!) so going with the vet thats thorough, but half the price, still don't think its fair on the horse though!! made me very angry this wk :mad:

Gamebird

Visit site

The veterinary indemnity insurers are reluctant to back vets in the instance of litigation following a 2 stage vetting as the vetting is not considered sufficiently comprehensive. Given that vettings are by far and away the number one cause of litigation against vets it naturally makes them very cautious about carrying out 2 stage vettings.

5 stage vettings are perfectly commonly carried out on unbroken horses. So long as they can be lunged or even cantered loose sufficiently to test their wind there is no problem.

Jetset - the 2 stage vetting is essentially the first two stages of the 5 stage vetting.