vetting and horse price

surreygirl17

Visit site
I'm currently looking at a 4yr old who was baled last year and turned away since. I've always thought to get a full 5 stage vetting but he's not currently ridden so will 2 stage be ok? He's £1000, 15.2 section d gelding. Is this a reasonable price?

be positive

Visit site
A 5 stage can still be done, the horse can be lunged if there is no one to ride it but it is up to you which you go for, I hope the sellers have a genuine reason for selling him from the field as it is a risk whatever price you are paying, most sellers can put in a week or two to get the horse back into light work.

surreygirl17

Visit site
Yeah, he was turned away as usual after being backed but when the time came to get him back into work his teenage owner was diagnosed with a brain tumour so cannot ride due to balance issues and the family have been concentrating on her health rather than the horse. I have medical training so am able to work out if the existance of the tumour is a lie!

surreygirl17

Visit site
That's what I was thinking. I've had a lot of contact over the past few weeks (he's living with his breeder) and it all sounds very genuine etc. I thought a stage 2 would be ok, but just needed someone else to have the same thought. I'm not buying a potential top eventer or anything like that!

mandwhy

Visit site
Seems pretty reasonable and a genuine sounding situation. I would probably get a two stage personally but then I rent land so livery bills not an issue.

Is that the asking price or have you agreed a price? Depending on quality I would try and get it down to say 800 or even less as it is sold from the field. I have seen decent in work horses asking price about 1200 that seem to tick most peoples boxes so there needs to be a decent enough discount to make it worth the risk.

If you don't mind it a bit wild you could probably pick up 3 for that price in Wales! Depends on your experience obviously.

guido16

Visit site
Out the field I got a lovely sports horse who now is a 3* eventer for £800. I imagine that price has some wiggle room.

2 star would be fine for me. Good luck.

surreygirl17

Visit site
That's the asking price. He's a reg Welsh d at 15.2 and they are rarer at that height so always a bit pricier but I'm hoping to get a bit off or something thrown in. If not, I would still pay it as I've been quoted 2k for an unbroken 2 ye old Welsh d of the same height! I'm hoping he'll grow a bit more as he's only 4!