Vetting for a 3 year old

Hexx

Visit site
I am off to look at a 3 year old ID filly at the weekend - very excited!

If I like her and want to buy her, what level of vetting should I be looking at getting?

She's halter broken and quiet to handle, but hasn't had much ground work.

Always-Riding

Visit site
If unbroken - I don't bother with a vetting but I do get a vet the check heart, eyes and generally feel over for lumps/bumps/etc and possibly trot up (although, I was ask to see the horse loose and trot up in hand at the viewing, so don't always ask for a trot up for the vet if I'm happy with how it moves).

I don't see the point of flexion tests or the lunging/circle aspect of a horse that young.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I am off to look at a 3 year old ID filly at the weekend - very excited!

If I like her and want to buy her, what level of vetting should I be looking at getting?

She's halter broken and quiet to handle, but hasn't had much ground work.

ditto others a two stage is all you need and warrants

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
if you are paying for a vetting then just get as much of the 5 stage done as you can(there will be certain elements that may not be applicable to a 3yo as you might not want to lunge her long enough to get her to really puff).

i didnt bother as my 2yo was basically feral and there would have been no way you could have been flexing him or trotting him up without really really scaring him etc.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
If unbroken - I don't bother with a vetting but I do get a vet the check heart, eyes and generally feel over for lumps/bumps/etc and possibly trot up (although, I was ask to see the horse loose and trot up in hand at the viewing, so don't always ask for a trot up for the vet if I'm happy with how it moves).

I don't see the point of flexion tests or the lunging/circle aspect of a horse that young.

True and the filly may not have experience in lunging either - when I got my filly <<<< way back in 1989 I did just a two stage she was 15 months old and apart from a couple issues which rectified themselves. It was fine, though Op depends what you want to do with her being an ID you will need to go slow. My new mare is 5 year old ID and very green in schooling. I did two stage as that I all I wanted done since I trust my vet to check anything really serious.

Right or wrong and regardless of other peoples view. My first farrier (amazing guy) said don't do anything with D* till she is at least 6 as ID mature late. I remember his words to the core. I also stuck by them, when I broke her son in. My new Mare ID has been out show jumping etc before she was 5 and first months of 5. She has already got a splint so I am going back to basics as she lacks a lot of general schooling on the ground and under saddle. I would not have personally taken her out till 6 BTATM

I wont do anything till 6 if then - and have only cantered her once since I brought her in Aug as she is unbalanced so concentrating on flatwork in walk/trot and transitions as well as some manners.

Good luck Op hope they pass but I would just have a 2 stage done. As you can always do a 5 stage later on for insurance purposes once broken in etc and going on in training.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would do as much of a five stage as you can but would instruct the vet that they are not to upset the horse by driving it round in the school for the wind part .
I would rather they left it undone than deal with a youngster whose first experiences in the school has been marred by a exciting vetting .

wills_91

Visit site
I would do as much of a five stage as you can but would instruct the vet that they are not to upset the horse by driving it round in the school for the wind part .
I would rather they left it undone than deal with a youngster whose first experiences in the school has been marred by a exciting vetting .

This.
If your going to insure her I would start digging around to see if it's a requirement. I know my insurance company will now not take on a horse unless it's had minimum 2 star.

cundlegreen

Visit site

I bought a 3 year old TB some years ago, knew his wind was good, and he'd already passed the vet at an auction, so didn't bother having him vetted again. Turns out he'd got lower ringbone. Lesson learned........Now I always have front flexions done at least, even with a cheap horse.

Hexx

Visit site
Sadly won't be buying as she has a splint. She is lovely, but I would want to show as her breeding is really good and she's not going to get far without clean legs. Such a shame!

Irish gal

Visit site
That's awful for you, it's amazing how easily splints can pop up. A few years ago I was minding a TB colt, it was the hottest summer in 50 years here so the ground was very hard. Checked him one day and he had a splint as big as a golf ball, that had basically come up over night. The next day he had one on the other front leg. I felt absolutely awful for the owner but nothing that could be done. Just the result of the hard ground in the field on his ultra fine bones. It meant he couldn't be sold through the sales.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sadly won't be buying as she has a splint. She is lovely, but I would want to show as her breeding is really good and she's not going to get far without clean legs. Such a shame!

That is a shame as my new 5 year old has a splint but the vet said it was very small and should not cause problems and I showed my other mare with a splint no problem. it is not that much of a mark down in the judges eye if everything else is going for this mare.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Never mind - I still have an eye on a Janet George ID -just need to pop over and have a look at what she has.

Lots and lots and lots, lol. Unless you want a 15.2! And more mares than geldings in the backed ones. A reasonable number of geldings amongst the 3 year olds (none of which ARE backed - we like go slow.) Which one do you fancy?

Hexx

Visit site
I would like, please:

16hh+
Medium to heavyweight
Mare or gelding - don't mind which, but may like to try a mare this time around
Not fussed about colour
Must be sensible, or as sensible as you can get a 4-5 year old to be
A "nice" person