Vetting for a leadrein pony

conniegirl

Visit site
What do people recommend for a leadrein pony? A 2 stage or a 5 stage?

Pony is pricey but not at the point an insurance company will ask for a 5 stage.

I’ll get bloods done either way as we need a strangles test to bring anything on to the yard so may as well get them taken at same time

Last edited:

Abacus

Visit site
Personally I’d do the two stage at most but I’m quite casual about these things generally. A lead rein pony won’t be under such stress and work as a competition horse and they are hardier, if it’s a little native then it’s probably quite tough unless laminitic. Of the little ponies I’ve had (probably four) I’ve never had lameness issues - we’ve just had to be careful over their weight and in one case sweet itch.

conniegirl

Visit site
Personally I’d do the two stage at most but I’m quite casual about these things generally. A lead rein pony won’t be under such stress and work as a competition horse and they are hardier, if it’s a little native then it’s probably quite tough unless laminitic. Of the little ponies I’ve had (probably four) I’ve never had lameness issues - we’ve just had to be careful over their weight and in one case sweet itch.
Its quite a dainty welsh partbred. My daughter is quite dainty so i think she’d look like a pea on a mountain on a sturdy welshie.
She practically does the splits on my 13.2hh welshie

Abacus

Visit site
Its quite a dainty welsh partbred. My daughter is quite dainty so i think she’d look like a pea on a mountain on a sturdy welshie.
She practically does the splits on my 13.2hh welshie
Even the dainty ones are quite tough really! Our little Welsh section A was like a princess pony (and had awful conformation) but he never went wrong ❤️.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
We didn't vet daughter's pony, but she was only £900 a lockdown bargain! She has turned out to be better than we ever expected and is now a wonderful first ridden, she was also 19 when we got her so a mature lady.

When we eventually buy another we'll probably be spending proper money so will get a 5* vetting, taking instructor and physio with us when we start looking!

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
5 Stage always recommend as 2 Stage is a limited exam.
Bloods are taken and stored as standard with both vetting, run only at purchasers request.

Our local practice offers lami radiographs at about £130 so may be something to consider

minesadouble

Visit site
The last 2 i bought were both bought unseen and 2 stage vetted.
One was a 2 year old section A and the other was a 15 year old established L/R F/R schoolmaster who had been placed at RI.
No issues with either.

Personally I feel 2 stage is sufficient for a Lead Rein for my purposes.

But yes much more info is needed, I love Lead Rein ponies!

conniegirl

Visit site
Oh never mind the vetting.......where are the photos?!?! 😂😁

But yes much more info is needed, I love Lead Rein ponies!

I’ll post more info (and photos) soon. Have a couple of options im seeing this week but want to be prepared so i can move fast if needed. The front runner is a little showpony mare.

Im so unsure about vetting.
Ive had horses 5 stage vetted that have gone wrong very shortly after purchase but claiming against vet was too expensive to pursue. Ive had horses not vetted and go lame and ive had horses that have failed a vetting but i took a punt on anyway who was the best pony i ever had.
Hence why im asking

minesadouble

Visit site
I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't have vetted either of mine if I had viewed them.

It's a very personal decision. If the pony has been out showing do you know anyone on the circuit that you could get some info from? If someone you know knows the pony well enough I'd be tempted to skip the vetting.
But if a vetting would give you peace of mind (or negotiating power if it 'fails') then go for it.

Timelyattraction

Visit site
Would depend on price for me. We bought a (potential at the time) lead rein pony, she was unbacked and £700 so we took a punt on her literally just took the trailer and took her. Had her 2 years now and *touch wood* shes hard as nails and hasnt took a lame step in the time we’ve had her. She has a very easy life though bless her gets dragged out a couple times a week and thats it 😅 then the other end of the spectrum i buy a competition horse and get it vetted and 5 months later is lame on both hinds and now out of work, box rest and rehab and not looking great long term to ever jump again so i think its just pot luck most the time 🤷‍♀️

similar thing happened with my other horse, bought him as a 3yo , cheap and unbroken so didnt vet him. When he got to 5 and was worth a decent amount i wanted to insure him so I needed a 5 stage vetting for that. I got the vet out and he passed the vetting and 1 year later he comes in from the field hopping lame and was later diagnosed with navicular and arthritis

EventingMum

Visit site
It's a hard one, as others have said this type of pony won't be in work like a competition horse but equally you don't want the upset of discovering a problem that didn't show up in a two stage vetting after you've bought so for peace of mind I would be tempted to go five stage. It's always good to shop around different vets if you don't have a specific preference for a vet. When I was selling last year purchasers found over £200 difference between two practices for a five stage vetting. I think you're wise to be prepared to move fast, good kid's ponies, especially if a genuine first ridden type which are like gold dust and sell very quickly whereas there are quite a few leadrein/ second ponies about.

Above the snowline

Visit site
I don’t know (!). I have previously bought a wild untouched unvetted 3 year old pony for a 3 year old child. Paid peanuts. Had her for 10 years. Hunted, pony club, showjumped, x country, loads of rosettes, never lame, sick or sorry, sold when very sadly outgrown for mad money - turned down loads of offers and chose the best home. I was lucky not clever. Bought a 5 star vetted pony which had to be put down 6 months later. Was given a ‘mad’ horse with tendon problems which evented to novice and lasted 14 years, put down age 26. Bought an expensive eventer which passed 5 star vetting and x rays only to have horrendous kissing spines 8 months later. Good well known ponies/horses have no need to be advertised since they will have long waiting lists - unless very silly money is sought. My advice is to try your best, follow your instinct, prepare to have your heart (and bank balance) broken and never expect to see your money again. Enjoy the rollercoaster of horse ownership.

Clodagh

Visit site
I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't have vetted either of mine if I had viewed them.

It's a very personal decision. If the pony has been out showing do you know anyone on the circuit that you could get some info from? If someone you know knows the pony well enough I'd be tempted to skip the vetting.
But if a vetting would give you peace of mind (or negotiating power if it 'fails') then go for it.
@WelshD maybe?

Tbh I’d do a 2 stage, temperament is all for a toddler.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ohhh so exciting! How can it be pony buying time already.
I would say she’s about 1 😂 but no, of course not.
You’ll have such a great time. I loved and miss pony time with my daughter.

conniegirl

Visit site
Ohhh so exciting! How can it be pony buying time already.
I would say she’s about 1 😂 but no, of course not.
You’ll have such a great time. I loved and miss pony time with my daughter.
I know. I keep looking at her thinking how can you be nearly 3 already.

Doesn't seem like any time at all since I was crying on your shoulder about how terrified I was in my pregnancy!

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Personally I would never buy anything without some sort of vetting. However experienced you are if you haven't got a stethoscope or ophthalmoscope there are potentially very serious (life threatening for rider) things you could miss.
Also if you need bloods anyway for the yard, then I'd definitely get at least a 2 stage while the vet is out.
Don't think I'd go to 5 stage for a LR pony if it was me, you might end up paying more for the vetting than the pony!

blitznbobs

Visit site
I don’t vet anymore … no
Point …i don’t insure I can see myself if they are lame and can see myself if their heart rate returns to normal after a gallop… so it all come from knowing how good you are at spotting lameness

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I know. I keep looking at her thinking how can you be nearly 3 already.

Doesn't seem like any time at all since I was crying on your shoulder about how terrified I was in my pregnancy!
If only we had a screen shot of this back then. The stress it could have saved!
So happy for you. Happy pony shopping!

minesadouble

Visit site
I'm just checking in to see if there's any update on new pony!
There don't seem to be too many LRs on the market at the minute, I always cast an eye over them in case any of my Mum's are for sale, she breeds LRs and FRs (though more FRs these days).
I'm so looking forward to seeing what you get, I have 3 girls, 2 that showed on the lead, my eldest is now an RoR enthusiast, the middle one a bit of a fair weather all-rounder type of rider and my youngest (the only one who wasn't interested as a small child) is now a hardcore WHP enthusiast. It's such a good sport to be involved in if you're in the right place - the younger they start the better :)

conniegirl

Visit site
going to see it on saturday, Also have another one to look at at the weekend. Its a SHP type.
Both are young but I have videos of both being ridden and handled by tiny tots.