Vetting showed melanoma- what should I do??

ClaireM4

Visit site
Hi, need some advice please!!
I recently paid a deposit for a pony and then had the vetting done, which the Vendor (or Vendor’s agent) arranged.
When the report came back it stated that the pony, a 6 year old grey mare, had a 0.5mm melanoma under the tail. It went on to describe what a melanoma is and advised removal.
It then said that the points raised would not prevent the pony from being suitable for what I wanted, ie general riding club activities.
I paid a 10% deposit, £450 and the receipt stated it was refundable if the pony failed the vetting. Well, the report doesn’t state a failure and the Vendor thinks the pony ‘passed’.
My question is should I get my deposit refunded?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think the vendor is probably strictly correct, and I've known other greys with small melanomas pass their vettings regardless of work level expected.

ClaireM4

Visit site
Hmmmmm .... tricky.
Are you definitely not prepared to go ahead with the sale?

I have researched melanomas and spoken to my own vet, who advised me not to go ahead with the purchase. If the pony had been £2k it would be worth considerin, but the purchase price is £4.5k and I don’t consider that a pony with a melanoma is worth that money!

ihatework

Visit site
I have researched melanomas and spoken to my own vet, who advised me not to go ahead with the purchase. If the pony had been £2k it would be worth considerin, but the purchase price is £4.5k and I don’t consider that a pony with a melanoma is worth that money!

That’s subjective, but your prerogative .
I think you might need to be prepared to loose your deposit.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Hmmm. Since vettings don't "pass" or "fail" a horse as such it's tricky that this wording is used regarding the deposit. In my view the vetting revealed something, previously unknown, that has stopped you wanting the pony... that's a fail and your deposit back. But another view is that the vet said the pony will do the job you want it for so it has passed, no deposit back. I'd be tempted to take the hit and be more specific when discussing deposit return next time.

ClaireM4

Visit site
I’ve searched lots of these forums about whether people would go ahead with a purchase on a horse with a melanoma and most people wouldn’t as you don’t know what the future will be, I’m especially worried as this pony is so young. Also they will be excluded from the Insurance.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I know it is no use this time, but generally I pay a deposit subject to a satisfactory vetting. That means satisfactory to me, so if something shows up on the vetting that I don't like then that is covered.

The other thing is that if you have briefed the vet thoroughly and are also present, that can sway them as to what is or is not acceptable as a recommendation to buy. It is not an exact science.

TBH, with a melanoma as small as you have stated I would probably buy. If it was undisclosed then I would ask for a bit off the price.

ihatework

Visit site
I agree! Any there’s no way of knowing if it’s malignant unless the Vendor pays for removal and biopsy I guess!

If you like the pony what about suggesting you will complete the sale if they do just that. If it’s maligant or they refuse ask or deposit back and appeal to their better nature?

Melody Grey

Visit site
not being pedantic, genuinely wondering- 0.5cm melanoma rather than 0.5 MM? (would literally be microscopic?)

I had a similar situation where a vetting unexpectedly revealed a sarcoid. I made a low offer / would walk away on the basis that it could worsen and cost a fortune in ongoing treatment. Would you still consider the horse but at a much lower price? At the right price, personally I'd be prepared to gamble if the horse is otherwise what you want.

If you're adamant you want to walk away, I'd probably try hard to get the deposit returned but perhaps consider £450 a lucky escape from a more expensive problem if you can't get it back. It's not exactly 'failed' the vetting in the strictest sense of the word as it's not been deemed unfit for what you want it to do, so I'm not sure it's clear cut enough to go to the effort of pursuing in court? Might be an expensive hiding to nothing?

Sorry, not a conclusive response but hopefully food for thought :)

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I certainly think you are entirely entitled to lower your offer in light of the new information, but that depends how low you'd want to go.
Many people accept them as such a frequent risk with greys that they are going to have some somewhere/internally anyway, and plenty won't buy a grey because of it.
Had a viewed a horse with one I wouldn't have bought/vetted but it's a bit of a different scenario when you already have £600+ invested.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if i read this right, the vendor arranged the vetting, which IMO should never be done. if you are thinking of going ahead i would get my own vets opinion as he/she only answers to you and not the vendor. perhaps i am suspicious but i would not be confident that the pony was ok with all of the other checks especially if you were not there....

Clodagh

Visit site
If the vendor is using an agent I bet you a dollar to a doughnut the whole thing is crooked. Good luck and I would certainly do your best to get your deposit back. As has been said there is no pass or fail so the wording was corrupt to start with.

ClaireM4

Visit site
Thank you for your replies so far folks, I will try to get my deposit back, think I’m going to have a fight tho! I should have been more careful with the wording in the receipt!!
I certainly won’t be writing a favourable reply on the Seller’s website if I don’t get the deposit back!! 😬

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Personally I would consider buying if she's everything else you want. I bought a grade a showjumping mare with a far bigger melanoma 10 years ago. Never caused a problem. She's still going strong.

ClaireM4

Visit site
Personally I would consider buying if she's everything else you want. I bought a grade a showjumping mare with a far bigger melanoma 10 years ago. Never caused a problem. She's still going strong.

Ah ok that’s interesting, can I ask how old she was when you bought her? This one is only 6 and I think that’s quite young for a melanoma?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Ah ok that’s interesting, can I ask how old she was when you bought her? This one is only 6 and I think that’s quite young for a melanoma?
I must add we obviously spoke on length to the vet that did the vetting and took his advice. She was 9 at the time.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How does the vet know that such tiny lump is a melanoma?

If you don't take this pony, please don't ever again allow the vendor to arrange the vetting. It's asking for this kind of problem, where they have basically erred on the side of the seller, not the buyer, and passed the pony as fit for purpose and you are likely to lose your deposit.

be positive

Visit site
How does the vet know that such tiny lump is a melanoma?

If you don't take this pony, please don't ever again allow the vendor to arrange the vetting. It's asking for this kind of problem, where they have basically erred on the side of the seller, not the buyer, and passed the pony as fit for purpose and you are likely to lose your deposit.

I find it very odd that the vendor has been able to arrange a vetting, the vet is usually instructed by the person paying the bill/ buying the horse and for that reason most would not be involved if contacted by the vendor even if the vendor is known to them because of this type of situation, it seems you may have had no contact with the vet until the report arrived which is highly unusual.

As for melanoma I had a young cob with a tiny one under his tail, he was pts at 13 because they had spread rapidly.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I find it very odd that the vendor has been able to arrange a vetting, the vet is usually instructed by the person paying the bill/ buying the horse and for that reason most would not be involved if contacted by the vendor even if the vendor is known to them because of this type of situation, it seems you may have had no contact with the vet until the report arrived which is highly unusual.

As for melanoma I had a young cob with a tiny one under his tail, he was pts at 13 because they had spread rapidly.

Unfortunately it often happens that a seller either arranges a vetting or "recommends" a local vet to the potential purchaser. And purchasers fall for it.

I've had too many horses with melanoma to ever buy another with existing problems. Yes, one lived till she was 26 but my beautiful mare was pts at 12 because of them (her first one appeared when she was two).

meleeka

Visit site
If the vendor is using an agent I bet you a dollar to a doughnut the whole thing is crooked. Good luck and I would certainly do your best to get your deposit back. As has been said there is no pass or fail so the wording was corrupt to start with.

My guess is that when the vendors agent arranged the vetting you were supposed to reject the horse. It didn’t ‘fail’ since vettings don’t pass or fail, so they get to keep your deposit.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'm another who had a young horse develop a melanoma at 5 (I bought him as a 3yo and he didn't have it then) and he was PTS at 11 due to them so personally I would pass. You can diagnose them by needle aspirate fyi but given they arranged the vetting I would just leave it and chalk it up to experience. There's still no 100% effective way of treating melanoma (some have had good results with the new vaccine) and all treatments are expensive and now won't be covered by insurance.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Greys are very susceptible to melanoma but 6 is very young. I wouldn't buy although I have a grey at 27 who hasn't been affected but his didn't start until he was 12.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've never paid more than £50 To £100 as a deposit and never been asked for more than that.

The whole deal sounds shonky to me to be honest. I would not buy the pony. Really hope you can get your deposit back

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I've never paid more than £50 To £100 as a deposit and never been asked for more than that.

The whole deal sounds shonky to me to be honest. I would not buy the pony. Really hope you can get your deposit back

I have been asked for 10% deposit before. One failed on a 10% deposit as it had picked up a respiratory condition.

It has a slight cough when I tried him (3 soft coughs during school work/jumping), but I agreed to delay the vetting as the dealer said it was the tail end of an issue from when he was importing and nearly gone. Once the owner (dealer) assured me that he was now free from it I had a vetting (plus testing for strangles - just in case). The strangles was clear but the horse was actually worse, when vetted he had a LOT of coughing. The dealer said he would treat, I liked the horse so agreed, another few weeks went by and the dealer again assured me the horse was clear of coughs.

This time the horse was coughing and had a discharge as well! So, I really could not keep paying for a vet to attend when the horse was still ill, it was too far for me to check each time, a pity as I really liked the horse and suspected that it would come good. I did have to wait for the deposit, the dealer did seem 'surprised' (haha) that I did not want the horse, but the deposit was given back.

The return visit of the vet, which the dealer had say they would pay, was a write off though. As was the initial vetting. Frustrating, especially as I would have waited as long as necessary for the dratted cough to clear if the dealer had just been honest and diligent.

Littlebear

Visit site
All grey horses will at some point develop melanomas so if you look at greys you do need to accept that as a risk. I sold a lovely 8yr old grey mare last year with a melanoma under the tail for 7k and it wasn't an issue, obviously would be excluded on insurance, but if they bother you I would look at different colour horses.
Many years ago I had another grey mare that had a few and didn't affect her, she lived until late 20s without an issue but I have seen other horses become riddled and had to be pts, its a gamble with a grey.

twiggy2

Visit site
All grey horses will at some point develop melanomas so if you look at greys you do need to accept that as a risk./QUOTE]
That's not true, it is a risk yes, it is a higher risk in greys yes, but it is not fact that all greys will develop them.
Whether they are malignant or not I would not purchase a horse or pony with melanomas, I have known a few that have had to be pts due to melanomas that were not malignant.