Vetting showed melanoma- what should I do??

oldie48

Visit site
In your position I would be really cross. The purpose of a vetting is not to pass or fail a horse but it is to discover any issues with the horse on the day of the vetting that the potential purchaser may or may not be aware of which may affect it's suitability to do the job and it's value. The vet is working for the purchaser and although in an ideal situation I would expect the purchaser to be present in my view the vet should present his/her findings to the purchaser for discussion. I have bought a horse with what might be a sarcoid on the inner thigh, following a discussion with the vet which looked at all the possibilities, costs etc I decided to go ahead with the purchase but renegotiated the price downward. I was also buying through an agent, although I was not asked for a deposit, however, if I had paid a deposit I would have expected a full refund of it if I had decided to walk away. I don't normally advocate dishonest behaviour but I'd be tempted not to pay the vet for the vetting and direct him/her to the agent for payment out of the deposit if they continue to refuse to return it in full.

Inda

Visit site
I got my grey as a yearling in 2017. A 0.5cm lump appeared in October 2018 where her saddle would eventually go, so got it removed. It's a malignant melanoma, she's been to see Derek Knottenbelt at the weipers and is currently on fortnightly chemotherapy that will reduce to every 6 months likely for the rest of her life. As much as money doesn't come into it, 4 vials of oncept have cost me over £2000 on top of removal, histology, guttural pouch scopes to look for metastatic spread.

If you really want it, at least get a different vet to look for spread in the guttural pouches, the first place it usually spreads too.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have a grey horse who has several small melanomas (under the tail, in the sheath and in the mouth). He's 17 and has had them since about 12 years of age (the one in his mouth probably longer). We keep an eye on them, but don't fret overly much - he'll most likely die of something else before they can be a problem. I think the younger they manifest, the more of a problem.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
it then said that the points raised would not prevent the pony from being suitable for what I wanted

Well, no, it won't prevent you from doing what you want at this stage. However it may in the future, this is what you have to weigh up.

I can't see that the vet has been remiss. They've assessed the horse and informed you of their findings. Pointing out specifically the melanoma. They've fulfilled their remit. I also don't see a problem in the vet being the vendors vet (they're not all in it together to sell horses fraudulently for their clients).

That all being said, if you want to walk away then you have a good argumentative to put to the vendor for a refund of your deposit. They will be fully aware that horses don't 'pass' or 'fail' and that the assessment is for a horse to be essentially fit for purpose and to point out any areas of concern - especially those that might result in a purchaser wanting to walk away. Melanomas being a big enough concern for most - including your own vet.

CavaloBranco

Visit site
I can't believe that the vendor/agent didn't know about the melanoma. Most of us are well aware of any lumps and bumps on our horses, I would expect them to have pointed it out prior to vetting.
Wish you good luck in getting a refund.

irishdraft

Visit site
I bought a horse this year with a couple of tiny melanomas under his tail. I paid the asking price because the vendor wouldn't drop and he is a very nice horse. The vet said you could have them removed easily & cheaply so didn't seem to be a problem. I have 2 other greys one with sarcoids and one with melanoma s . The sarcoids are far more problem than the melanoma which are incredibly slow growing and don't interfere with anything. The horse which has them has had them for 10 years and is now 19. Unfortunately I think it's 80% of greys have melanoma.

TheMule

Visit site
I lost my grey aged 23 due to melanomas, they were all fistulaing and they became unmanageable. He developed them quite late in life so he's had them about 4 years when they caused a big problem

blackislegirl

Visit site
I have researched melanomas and spoken to my own vet, who advised me not to go ahead with the purchase. If the pony had been £2k it would be worth considerin, but the purchase price is £4.5k and I don’t consider that a pony with a melanoma is worth that money!

Well, I paid rather more than that for a grey pony with a small melanoma under his tail, 10 years ago. He is now in his late teens, and has been and is a really wonderful, sound, friendly fun pony. I adore him! He has a few more melanomas now under his tail, but that's greys for you. I have never regretted buying him.

Clodagh

Visit site
I lost a grey pony that had no visible melanomas at all but had them in her intestine, only when she died was it possible to see them. I wouldn't buy one that already had one.

blackislegirl

Visit site
I lost two previous greys from probable internal melanoma-related issues. One was 25, the other was 23. Both were good horses, mostly trouble-free all their lives. I think we have to accept that every horse's life will end. Many end well before their 20s, for all sorts of reasons. So although I understand worry about melanomas, it still seems to me that to miss out on buying a good young horse because of what may transpire in 15 years or more is a pity. So many other things could happen in the intervening years.

gunnergundog

Visit site
If you are requiring insurance, I would check what the various companies are prepared to offer to you given the melanomas. Years and years ago I know that Bloodstock & General wouldn't cover colic on a grey if it had melanomas. Like Clodagh, I had one that ended up with a bunch of grapes under his dock by the age of 12; he lived until 22 and it was colic that did for him too. Could have been a coincidence and many older horses die of colic, but do check the insurance position before purchasing if you require cover.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I lost two previous greys from probable internal melanoma-related issues. One was 25, the other was 23. Both were good horses, mostly trouble-free all their lives. I think we have to accept that every horse's life will end. Many end well before their 20s, for all sorts of reasons. So although I understand worry about melanomas, it still seems to me that to miss out on buying a good young horse because of what may transpire in 15 years or more is a pity. So many other things could happen in the intervening years.

but it could be much younger-the earlier they manifest the higher the risk they shorten your horses life and treatment options are expensive and limited. Its heartbreaking to lose one at 11 in their prime and yes, they could die of something else but personally I'd not risk putting myself through it again.