Vetting - WWYD?

Amy567

Visit site
So, I found the PERFECT horse for me last week, the type where you don't even have to get on to know it's the one for you and when you do ride it, you just click instantly. He was reshod on Monday and the farrier took off a lot of hoof, I would say anywhere between 1-2cm in length, drastic change. On Tuesday we had him vetted and he came up lame on the left fore in the flexion test, he also still has a puffy splint on this leg that the vet put pressure on at the same time. He's a 6yo ex racer (National Hunt) and only ran in two races, but was too slow.

We've said for the owner to leave it a week and trot him up next week to see if he's still lame as they originally offered to pay for a re-vetting. If he is sound, we were thinking of getting his legs X-rayed to see if the splint is just a splint, or if it's actually compression fractures on the cannon bone and then if they're clear, have him re-vetted.

Is this me just clutching at straws, or do you think he could have been foot sore?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I think you're doing the right thing. You've obviously clicked with this horse & you're giving it every chance. It could well be footsore because the farrier has taken off a large chunk of hoof & if it is due to this then there should be some change in a week or so. Xrays regarding the 'splint' is also good to do. It may cost you a bit but if, as you say, the horse is your ideal horse then it's worth going the extra yard.

Good Luck, I hope all goes well. :)

Amy567

Visit site
Thank you :)

It was most definitely love at first ride! haha. I just so hope it is from being shod. The owners obviously didn't know he was lame, otherwise they would either refuse the vetting or bute him to hide it. I hope it was 'just on the day'. Finger crossed! :D

hnmisty

Visit site
Had a horse vetted last month, she failed it due to what was suspected to be a bruised sole.

Had me umming and aahing, but after collecting lots of opinions, I decided to wait a few weeks.

Spoke to the owner on Monday, she's still lame, although seemingly for a different reason. I'm now quietly relieved she failed the first vetting as would've been pretty awful to get my new horse after years of waiting and have it go lame immediately! So I'm starting a new search.

I guess it depends how much you like this one and how much of a risk you are willing to take. Have him X-rayed, then if the results of that don't give you a heart attack, go for it, and I hope you have a great time together! :D

Amy567

Visit site
He's been trotted up today, with a vet present, on concrete, flexion test and in a circle and he's sound :D so we're getting him re-vetted on Thursday :D Fingers crossed he passes this time!

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
I once bought a horse that was slightly lame all round :p but he had long awful feet when I saw him and just before vetting the irish dealer got his farrier to hack lots off......SO I thought it was just foot sore.

AND guess what, he was the best horse I ever owned! was dirt cheap at 1500 I paid for him (many years ago) and never had a lame or ill day in his life!

Do remember flexion is quite controversial anyway. A lot of people do not want it done as part of a vetting nowadays.

Also remember x rays do not show anything that has happened within last 12 weeks I believe.

Good luck :)

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Not sure what you mean by this because you certainly see bone damage on X-ray immediately.

There was a horse I nearly purchased recently, but was advised that x rays do not show something....that could have happened in past 3 months. Maybe not bone then maybe whatever else it helps to show :D that is what my vet said! I then walked away, as he came up lame BUT was well shod and he was quite badly lame too!

Amy567

Visit site
We're getting the X-rays to see if the splints are just splints, or they're fracture scarring on the cannon bone etc. They show bone issues immediately, maybe it's the ligament or tendon scarring?

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
We're getting the X-rays to see if the splints are just splints, or they're fracture scarring on the cannon bone etc. They show bone issues immediately, maybe it's the ligament or tendon scarring?

Yeah maybe, can't remember now. There is something it wont show if past 12 weeks. Sorry bubble brain I have forgotten :rolleyes:

Good luck, I would go for it, you have to take a view and if they hacked off half his foot of course he would be sore :)

indie999

Visit site
Sounds like you are doing the right thing and being utterly cautious, sensible etc. I hope the horse is fine on next vetting etc. Will keep fingers crossed its so blooming hard to find a nice horse these days. Good luck though.