Vetting - x-ray finding advice needed!

st5050

Visit site
after x-rays

'on the left fore inside wing of pedal bone there is a small separated fragment of bone - this is not associated with any clinical signs. In my opinion it is an incidental finding not of clinical significance'

really really like the horse but he is expensive....waiting on second opinion and farrier opinion as well.

6 year old - owners say never been lame on it. no vet history regarding it.

I didn't know the vet who did the vetting but he is well regarded.

Report has gone to the insurers - waiting to see what they say.

Thoughts??

Wine for all.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't know if the insurers will cover him I don't insure so it's not something I have to worry about .
Was it a routine X-ray or was it taken as a result of something the vet observed and wanted to investigate further ?

st5050

Visit site
Hi Goldenstar, it's pre purchase vetting. It's a highly regarded vet in Ireland (but I've been stung there before). I'm waiting on my own vet to get back to me with his thoughts. Horse appears well and sound and there is no history of lameness.

Street_Skill

Visit site
I don't think I would be too concerned. My horse fractured both his hind pedal bones in an accident in 2013. The fractures were about 25% of the bone on one side and about 15% on the other and ran across the width of the pedal bone rather than just the wing. Eventually these pieces dropped out through the holes in his hooves that he created during said accident. He was back in full work about 10 months after the accident, although I was riding him gently after 6 months and he has gone from strength to strength-out competing, jumping, hacking etc. He has no special treatment and has never been lame since. My horse is very extreme, but I think pedal bone fractures (if that's what it is) in general have a very good prognosis and the fact that the vet has said it's of no clinical significance and he has no history of lameness is, in my opinion, a good thing. I imagine your insurance company will exclude any claims arising from, or because of, that detached piece of bone in that particular hoof because they're mean like that.....!

If you like him and he will do everything you want him to then I would be tempted to go for it. Good luck!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think it's a very good idea to take the advice of the vet who will have to care for him .
Nothing like that to concentrate a vets mind .
You might ask your vet who they might seek advice from on this type of issue and get the xrays sent to them as well.

st5050

Visit site
Thanks all for your advice.

Goldenstar - that's what I did! I got my vet (who he will be under to scrutinise the x-rays) and he reassured me today that he agrees with the vet who did the vetting. So I'm going to go for it!
I also sent to my farrier (to triple check!!) and he gave me his opinion while ensuring the that I was sending to my vet as well.

The dice has been rolled. I've had awful trouble with my last horse and I am so nervous but every horse I've x-rayed has thrown up something :( the last one was a bone chip on the fetlock (vet said leave it behind). I feel like I've done all I can now so fingers crossed!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks all for your advice.

Goldenstar - that's what I did! I got my vet (who he will be under to scrutinise the x-rays) and he reassured me today that he agrees with the vet who did the vetting. So I'm going to go for it!
I also sent to my farrier (to triple check!!) and he gave me his opinion while ensuring the that I was sending to my vet as well.

The dice has been rolled. I've had awful trouble with my last horse and I am so nervous but every horse I've x-rayed has thrown up something :( the last one was a bone chip on the fetlock (vet said leave it behind). I feel like I've done all I can now so fingers crossed!

It sounds like a self inflicted tread injury, the sort of thing they do in the field all the time. I'll bet loads of horses would have a chip there if you x ray them. Have fun with your new horse.