Vetting...

FelineGroovy

Visit site
I am thinking of buying a horse which has apparently passed a 5 stage vetting test. Do I need another (?independent) vet to have a look at the horse? If I contacted the original vet are they bound to pass on info they know? Any advice?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I am thinking of buying a horse which has apparently passed a 5 stage vetting test. Do I need another (?independent) vet to have a look at the horse? If I contacted the original vet are they bound to pass on info they know? Any advice?

Well if they sent me a copy of it and seem cocher , the I would not bother with another. Unless the 5* vetting was more than 3 months before then I would do another,.

be positive

Visit site
They are not bound to pass on any information, that is between them and their client it is also only relevant for the day it was done, if you are going to buy it makes sense to get your own done if you require one for insurance purposes.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'd ask to see the old one first, vettings are rarely black and white, it could have 'passed' for light hacking with a list of minor ailments, if you want to do some jumping those ailments might be a 'fail' for your purposes.

Depends how much you are paying and whether you can cope with a horse with problems (ie if you have other horses you can ride and/ or land of your own so your not paying livery while not riding).

It keeps as much to keep a lame horse as a sound one, as they say.

Also depends on insurance, if your looking to insure over a certain value many companies require a vetting

FelineGroovy

Visit site
Thank you for ALL your advice. Looks like I'll be getting my own vetting done. The horse is relatively pricey (at least it seems it to me), and I definitely want to jump. Is it cheeky to ask to see a previous vet's report in addition to getting my own done? It's just that as I'm so inexperienced I'd rather have all the info available, and just in case my vet misses anything. I don't really want to deal with a lame/unsound horse if possible.

Last edited:

Polos Mum

Visit site
Certainly not cheeky to ask, if you don't ask you don't get - very sensible to get your vet to read the previous vetting 'cos if there's something nasty on it you'll save yourself £300 ish on your own vetting

Good luck with it