Vettings and pads on feet

Lamehorses

Visit site
I have asked to speak to the owners vet, but so far this hasn't happened. Infact, I get a sense that the owner doesn't want me to talk to the vet. I had not been told he had frog supports, only found out because I picked his foot up. Then was told I could only walk him. I guess the alarm bells ringing in my head should tell me to run away.....My next thread will be " can the forum find me a sound, kind, safe horse because I am loosing the will to live.....".
If it helps, I know a couple of people who are thinking of giving up horses due to the current cost of living crisis. They are both people who have lived & breathed horses for the last 20 years, just finding they are struggling financially with everything.
They can't be alone, I'm predicting a glut of horses on the market before the end of summer.
I know if i didn't have my own land I'd have to aswell. 10+ years of virtually no pay rise & now everything going up is unsustainable, something has to give....
Don't by a croc, broken horses cost more to keep than sound healthy ones. Run don't walk away & you will find one soon.

Regandal

Visit site
There is a whole school of thought that many horses cannot keep good hoof conformation and function in open heeled traditional shoes without frog supports being built in.

NOT saying I'd buy a horse that had recent had lamititis and could not be cantered! But that frog supports might be on normal high functioning shod horses.

Can you explain more please? That does not sound like a very healthy foot.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Can you explain more please? That does not sound like a very healthy foot.

The best examples are the photo case studies on various professional farriers' pages.

What they are saying is many, many horses cannot long term have a healthy foot in open heeled shoes as the frog / back / caudal part of the hoof is unsupported by open heel peripheral shoeing so the frogs and heel bulbs collapse over time in open heeled shoes. Which can be fixed by going barefoot or by adding frog support to the back of the shoe, so the frog is also loaded.

Have a look at the case studies on - The Equine Documentalist FB page

and Progressive Equine Services & Hoof Care Centre FB page e.g. post on 20th June 05.01am

Regandal

Visit site
Interesting stuff. My own horse changed from npa to normal in 6 months on his back feet after having the shoes removed. Big fat juicy frogs are truly a thing of great beauty ?

Fransurrey

Visit site
The best examples are the photo case studies on various professional farriers' pages.

What they are saying is many, many horses cannot long term have a healthy foot in open heeled shoes as the frog / back / caudal part of the hoof is unsupported by open heel peripheral shoeing so the frogs and heel bulbs collapse over time in open heeled shoes. Which can be fixed by going barefoot or by adding frog support to the back of the shoe, so the frog is also loaded.

Have a look at the case studies on - The Equine Documentalist FB page

and Progressive Equine Services & Hoof Care Centre FB page e.g. post on 20th June 05.01am
What you're describing, though, is frog supports for high levels of work. These are not the same as therapeutic pads put in for the treatment of laminitis. One is to prevent pathologies. The other is to support the foot whilst it heals.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
What you're describing, though, is frog supports for high levels of work. These are not the same as therapeutic pads put in for the treatment of laminitis. One is to prevent pathologies. The other is to support the foot whilst it heals.

Not as far as I've ever understood. Support for the rear half of the foot, most of the time, for most horses, because open heeled shoes are believed to cause, or contribute to, prolapse of the foot. Not for a high level of work. Though, sure, is not the same as pads for lammy, but it was to illustrate that pads don't always indicate a problem, not that they didn't in this case.