Vibes for my old girl, and advice please

AfricanBeauty

Visit site
My 22y/o retired TB has been a bit off colour for the last couple of weeks, on and off though not everyday, and today its really come to a bit of a head. She's out with 3/4 other mares and they normally all get on well or keep themselves to themselves. She's got a couple of rugs on because she gets cold and we find the layers help, and today the fleece slipped and dragged round the field, she as then chased by my other mare, who has NEVER done this to her before, she normally looks after her. When YM went to get her in the other 2 that were out joined in and she was chased ragged round the field. She's absolutely knackered, I've been checking her every half hour to an hour and shes eating a bit but not much.

She has a very thick coat although she has been rugged according to the weather but the last few weeks she has been sporadically changing temperature very quickly going from fine to sweating or freezing. Looked colicky a couple of weekends ago but kept an eye on her and she was eating/drinking/pooing normally so just let her sort herself. Given her electrolytes tonight as she was quite sweaty when she came in after being chased.
She is and has been eating and drinking etc normally but she's not herself, actually looks tired which I have never known with her and we have owned her since 2003. I'm wondering if there is something going on, and whether it is worth getting the vet down to maybe take bloods or anything else they might think is worth while. Because of her age I don't want to prod/poke more than neccessary, but obviously don't want to leave it if she is suffering (god forbid). We've added sugar beet last week, had already intended to, giving her lots of hay to keep her warm and eating, and are constantly reassessing her rugging to make sure she isn't too hot or cold. We have considered clipping a bit off her tummy to help her regulate easier but are worried that she will then get cold.

Sorry for the long post, just in a bit of a state about it all, and don't really know what to do. She was my first horse, shared with my mum and means the world to me. Suggestions on what to try would be really appreciated, and vibes for her to feel better.

neddynesbitt

Visit site
The first thing I would do is take her temperature. My friends horse wasn't himself on Saturday night. We took his temp & it was 41!! We were really shocked as we thought he would look much worse with a temp like that.

If she does have a temperature, I wouldn't hesitate to get the vet tonight without question.

If her temp is normal then carry on as you are.

They are such a worry (if only they could talk)

Poor girl, hopefully she is just exhausted after all her exertion in the field.

Big hugs to you both :) xx

babymare

Visit site
sweetheart never apologise for long post - if you need to say it just say it regardless.

Ok ring vet and ask them to come out now. do not mess around as something very simple can get worse - 3 months after buying baby i went to get her in and she was weird staggering - vet out straight away anti imflamitorys pain killer next morning bright as button and vet said no idea wht was wrong but my quick reaction allowed them to start treating so ring vet and get them out - hun we all here ( and i know that so so much ) for you so keep us posted xxxx

ladyt25

Visit site
I would get the vet to check her - the fact the others are chasing her when they wouldn't normally would indicate to me that there's something wrong with her and the other horses are trying to keep her away fron the herd as, their instincts tell them to drive a weaker horse out so it doesn't put the herd at risk.

Our lot did this to our oldie when he got very lame with an abscess, they were horrid to him when they're usually pretty nice to him. They kept him right on the edge of their herd, it was bizarre but we can only assume it's cos they knew he was not right.

AfricanBeauty

Visit site
Ok so heres an update on my girl. Seems much brighter today, left her in to recover and to keep her out of the cold. Ate all her dinner and breakfast albeit slowly, and been getting ad lib hay through the day. Took her out for some grass too which really perked her up, although still quite tired and stiff from running round. Am leaving her in tomorrow morning and will put her out for a couple of hours in the afternoon if she is looking better.

After discussion with both mum and YM have decided to hold off getting the vet until Monday as she is picking up and it was a lot of stress in one go. Mum doesn't get to see her very often due to work commitments whereas I see her everyday so she hasn't seen the changes. Personally I would rather have got the vet today but don't want to start an arguement by doing it without mums agreement and although she isn't herself I couldn't exactly say it is an emergency. So Mum is going to come and see her over the weekend and we will make a firm decision - although in my mind I want her to be examined, and I think mum is coming round to the idea - after seeing how she recovers.

I think you may be right about Cushings, we have had similar thoughts in the past because of her coat but its long rather than curly and she hadn't shown any other signs before. Will keep you posted, feeling a bit more positive now.