Vibes for our springer please, and some advice needed...

Lolo

Visit site
Sorry. She's been diagnosed with some liver thing causing anaemia. She had a platelet count of 10 on Tuesday, 11 on Weds and 18 today so she is improving but not very quickly. She's 10 and has never been sick or sorry in her entire life and now she's tired and sad and ill. We're very worried- she's a homebred, and her mum was our first dog and Daisy is just a huge part of our family.

She's got tablets she's meant to be taking and today she just won't. Nothing can tempt her. She's drinking lots, and eating a bit (and she just stole some Twix... Gah!) but I cannot persuade her to take these tablets no matter what yumminess I wrap them up in. She's usually so good as well- no fuss at all this week.

Mum's at a wedding so phoning her isn;t possible... Help?!

Gratuitous photo of her, from Christmas time...
16551_10200180733788159_1147182227_n.jpg

(on HER chair. She rules this house!)

Red30563

Visit site
Oh, poor pup. Hope she is on the mend soon. She does look comfy on her chair though.

Can you crush the tablets into powder and smoosh them up into a piece of cheese or liver cake or even a spoonful of peanut butter?

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Mash potato and salmon or tuna that's what works best with mums fussy dog! The smell of fish seems to help. Failing that open mouth put to back of throat close mouth hold shut and rub underneath of jaw so she swallows.
Get well soon

Lolo

Visit site
Thanks. I managed to persuade her to eat it inside some mackarel and then some liver.

It's hemolytic anaemia she's got. So worried :/ It's a autoimmune illness and the prognosis looks terrible, especially in older dogs. She's too important to be ill.

TarrSteps

Visit site
For future reference, I've had good luck mixing meds in with one if the premium cat foods, like Applaws. They are meat, so nothing to upset the dog's digestion, but very potent so seem to hide taste/smell effectively and be extra tempting (especially if presented in the cat's bowl. . . )

Everything crossed for her.

twiglet84

Visit site
Hi there, so sorry to hear about your poorly springer.

I too have a dog with IMHA but secondary to cancer. I have done so much reading since her diagnosis (and a vet nurse of 11years) so my understanding is that it is common to be secondary to cancers unfortunately.

We have a few patients at work who have been responding well to treatment for over 2 years and recently we had one that we lost soon after diagnosis. We are unsure whether there IMHA's were primary or secondary conditions.

I think finding the cause is good because then you will know the prognosis. My rottie was presented with a PCV of 15%!! She had blood transfusions and CT scans then a splenectomy and has been doing well the last 3 months, unfortunately her pcv crashed weds back to 15% (had gone up to 27%) so we are now in the last stages of her life :(

I would recommend a CT scan to rule out a primary tumour then at least you would know more of what to expect? Is she on prednisolone? or azathioprine? xx

Lolo

Visit site
She was at 10% when she was diagnosed, no idea how she was still functioning :( Now at 18%, so still not great. She's improved enough to not be on the 'needs a transfusion' list for now though it seems.

I'm not sure what she's on- I'd go and look but she's on my knees asleep and breathing fairly normally so I'm not moving for love nor money :D I think a steroid and an antibiotic? She has 2 a day, and I think when she goes to the vets they give her an injection too...

JillA

Visit site
Can't you put the tablets on the back of her tongue so she has no option but to swallow them? That is the most reliable way of getting tablets into a dog. She looks lovely, I love soppy old Springers, I do so hope she makes a full recovery.

twiglet84

Visit site
She was at 10% when she was diagnosed, no idea how she was still functioning :( Now at 18%, so still not great. She's improved enough to not be on the 'needs a transfusion' list for now though it seems.

I'm not sure what she's on- I'd go and look but she's on my knees asleep and breathing fairly normally so I'm not moving for love nor money :D I think a steroid and an antibiotic? She has 2 a day, and I think when she goes to the vets they give her an injection too...

10% and no transfusion :confused: it must be chronic condition and her body was just adjusting over time. Well if she is up to 18% already thats a great response! My rottie hasnt got over 27% throughout treatment, she was on 7 prednisolone twice a day initally and now on 4 daily. I thik you should be pleased with the progress.

Will keep everything crossed and stay positive xxx

karen_c

Visit site
If she has IMHA then as twiglet has suggested the prognosis will depend on whether it is primary (i.e. immune system has just got it wrong for no real reason) or secondary (to another disease eg an infection, underlying tumour etc). Welcome to PM me if I can help - we get lots of dogs with this referred to my department at work :)

Glad you managed to get tablets in ok and have a happy snoozy spaniel parked on your knees! Vibes being sent :)

Lolo

Visit site
Just a quick update, she's 100% happier today and has been eating without having to be tempted and cajoled into it. She even tried to go on a walk with the others (obviously not allowed, she's still on house arrest until she's more normal!) :)

She also tried her hardest to eat everyone's Easter chocolate. I'm not entirely convinced how she's got to 10, because she is the worse for finding hidden chocolate and goes to horrendous lengths to eat it. Managed to thwart her this time though so she's sulking :D

Lolo

Visit site
Daisy's hard to photograph when she's not sleeping because she just disappears until you bellow for her at the end of the walk. She just goes off and kills stuff. We love her dearly but she is an acquired taste :D

483034_3741358812083_908092220_n.jpg

Post rabbiting

249584_1709507497070_925049_n.jpg

Being a driving instructor

And some action shots, because she is just beautiful (so biased)
40345_1550366520700_224797_n.jpg

40193_1550366080689_578075_n.jpg

38907_1550366760706_3614992_n.jpg

38643_1550366720705_7867730_n.jpg

She might not be a perfect example of the breed but she's one of the best dogs around :D

Lolo

Visit site
She's up to 22% and allowed to go on short walks on the lead. Thank goodness she doesn't pull, although she kept giving me grumpy looks when she saw things in the distance she'd like to be chasing. So glad she's improving. They've checked and there's nothing more sinister causing this (her mum developed a lot of tumours towards the end of her life, so I was a bit worried she might be too).