Vibes for pus please!

Surreydeb

Visit site
Cob very very lame, vet been and thinks an abscess brewing. Reactive to hoof testers in one spot, so vet pared away some sole to see if could track abscess, but commented her feet are so hard he had a tough job getting anything off! Currently poulticed and hoping will soften enough pus can find a way out. Never dealt with this before fingers crossed for pus!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Did the vet not get any pus! I would be a bit concerned my farrier always finds the area but I would soak the foot in warm water with salt if you can then poultice with a nappy and plenty of tag and tape and turn out if the horse is sound enough movement does help with getting the abscess to come out, but our weather here has been horrible and wet so I suppose it just depends on your circumstances and what is best I think any kind of poultice with tape is going to be hard to stand up to the ground at the moment.

meant to say if you have some animalintex cut some and put around the sensitive area it is very good for drawing out anything and it softens the sole.

Last edited:

Surreydeb

Visit site
No vet didn't get any pus. Tubbed with warm water, poulticed with animalintex and plenty of duct tape and turned out for a few hours. No better or worse when brought in. Hoping will soften enough that pus will be coming out when redo in the morning. Vet wants an update tomorrow, and will be back out on Monday if no pus by then.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Don't bother with the vet, get your farrier out. Cheaper and they don't dig out half the foot looking for the abcess nor leave a gaping hole after!

Just what I was going to say!

We had a Clydie who needed sedation for the farrier, so vet and farrier on yard at the same time. We suspected an abscess, so vet (who came first) tried to open it up, couldn't find it. Farrier arrived and found and opened an abscess in each back foot.

Soak the foot in water with Epsom salts, put Epsom salts onto a damp nappy as a poultice, with duct tape and a heavy duty plastic bag to protect it. We use HorseCrocz under normal circumstances but wouldn't in this weather - we have quite a lot of snow.

I have known an abscess come and go for several weeks before it came through the sole, with the horse being intermittently lame.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Did the vet not get any pus! I would be a bit concerned my farrier always finds the area but I would soak the foot in warm water with salt if you can then poultice with a nappy and plenty of tag and tape and turn out if the horse is sound enough movement does help with getting the abscess to come out, but our weather here has been horrible and wet so I suppose it just depends on your circumstances and what is best I think any kind of poultice with tape is going to be hard to stand up to the ground at the moment.

meant to say if you have some animalintex cut some and put around the sensitive area it is very good for drawing out anything and it softens the sole.

This is exactly what I would do. One teaspoon salt to each pint of warm water and then poultice. The salt water will help to kill infection.

Surreydeb

Visit site
Good news, pus this morning and far less lame. Bit worried has come through the frog and from the side of the frog, but will be speaking to vet this afternoon. she is much happier today though!

Casey76

Visit site
Good news, pus this morning and far less lame. Bit worried has come through the frog and from the side of the frog, but will be speaking to vet this afternoon. she is much happier today though!

Path of least resistance. If her soles are so hard, then the poultice would draw the pus out of the softest place possible. Also, the collateral groves, especially around the apex of the frog are where the sole is the thinnest :)

Surreydeb

Visit site
Vet has been again today and is pleased with progress. Almost sound now - continuing tubbing and poulticing, vet thinks should be fine within 10 days. Thank you everyone for all the advice, I've never had a horse abscess before!