vibes needed.. lame horse :(

splashnutti1

Visit site
So i got to the yard this morning to find my 4 year old cob hobbling on 3 legs, he is very lame on his off hind and his flanks were shaking bless him:(

he has no obvious injuries, swelling or heat, picked his hoof out all clear so staright away called the vet.

vet came straight out and thinks he has an abcess, he had to be sedated to get his shoe off and reacted violently to the pressure test (even when sedated). vet cleared his sole and had a small dig but revealed nothing so my lad is currently very sorry for himself with a big green bandage holding on his poultice.

If he is no better tommorrow vet is going to come back alongside my farrier and they will dig further see if they can find it.

Just so typical when we were just getting fit and shedding some much needed pounds lol :(

splashnutti1

Visit site
thanks. he was very very sorry for himself :(

He is soppy at the best of times but today was very clingy and cuddly bless him.

i am such a stress head and am worrying myself to bits over it, so need to get a grip lol. xx

Tiffany

Visit site
Bless him. When I read first sentence of your post I thought abscess. If it's in his foot it will come out at weakest point so could be his heal (that's what happened with my girl a couple of years ago) They are very painful but once they have burst and all that horrible puss is out will your boy feel must better instantly. Hope he's on mend after today's visit.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Vibes sent - pressure test response makes it sound very much like an abscess so vibes winging their way for a nice big burst and a much relieved horse!

splashnutti1

Visit site
Hi everyone thanks for the vibes my big lad is much better today.

when i took the poultice off last night the abcess had burst and he was much more comfortable. he was definately feeling better as it then took 4 of us to get another poultice on the cheeky ****** as im sure he thought we were trying to chop off his foot ;)

This morning he was much better behaved and was hardly any smelly puss on the poultice when i took it off so repoulticed which apprently he decided was fine this morning and stood like a lamb! i spoke to vet and going to continue to wet poultice till its clear then dry poultice for 2 days and if all still ok spray his foot with terramycin and leave unbandaged.

I would like to tub but he has a shameful fear of water and when i attempted this last year the bucket had several flyin lessons (but will give it another go);)

have to admit to being quite proud of him as when i got him it was near on impossible to touch his feet and he has accepted having it treated really well (albeit a bit cheeky last nite lol)

:)

Hetsmum

Visit site
Bless him. You might find that he finds the water soothing though when you tub him. With fearful ones I always add the water a little bit at a time so they get used to the bucket/tub first. Good luck but it sounds like you are on the right track and you will probably be back working him in about a week with a pad on! :)