Vibes please

Dizzydancer

Visit site
My mare is being scanned tomorrow to see if she has damaged her tendon.

If I can just ask you to all have your fingers crossed that it's just swelling in the tendon sheath and no actual tendon damage please!!

I'm a very stressed horsey mum tonight but also want to just know why I'm dealing with so she can be rehabbed correctly

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My mare is being scanned tomorrow to see if she has damaged her tendon.

If I can just ask you to all have your fingers crossed that it's just swelling in the tendon sheath and no actual tendon damage please!!

I'm a very stressed horsey mum tonight but also want to just know why I'm dealing with so she can be rehabbed correctly

Healing vibes sent, sadly my boys tendon sheath injury did not come good and he had to retire.

if I could rewind the time, I would have given him longer off work and time to heal before starting him back in work.

So my advice is do not rush him, give him time to fully heal before even starting to walk him out in hand. Vets had me walking out in hand after 5-6 weeks, really wished I had given him a minimum of 6 months off.
Wishing you luck

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm lucky to have excellent vets but sadly a horse who doesn't 'do' box rest well.
Thanks for the vibes will update tomorrow when I have some answers

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Mine has been diagnosed with a hole in a ligament today and doesn't do controlled exercise. So I have opted to turn away for six months. Maybe discuss your options with your vet.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Mine has been diagnosed with a hole in a ligament today and doesn't do controlled exercise. So I have opted to turn away for six months. Maybe discuss your options with your vet.

Sorry to hear that Moon, one of my livery owner's horses did that last Feb was told to box rest but she did not she was put in the round pen for the day till March this year when she was allowed to join the others. She is still not right as it intermittently flares and swell, but the hole finally healed

Moon Dancer

Visit site
It's not a huge hole but it's in a very slow healing ligament. He is on four weeks box rest while he has shockwaves and will then be turned out. Luckily this is what my vet has recommended.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Healing vibes sent, sadly my boys tendon sheath injury did not come good and he had to retire.

if I could rewind the time, I would have given him longer off work and time to heal before starting him back in work.

So my advice is do not rush him, give him time to fully heal before even starting to walk him out in hand. Vets had me walking out in hand after 5-6 weeks, really wished I had given him a minimum of 6 months off.
Wishing you luck

Walking out in hand is correct advice, though. If you don't do that, the tendon can form adhesions to the tendon sheath, as happened to a friend of mine who didn't do what she was told. Also if there isn't some gentle exercise, the tendon fibres heal in a jumbled mess instead of with a gentle crinkle and all pointed in the same direction. That makes it less likely that damage will reoccur when the horse goes back into work.

OP good luck with the rehab.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Walking out in hand is correct advice, though. If you don't do that, the tendon can form adhesions to the tendon sheath, as happened to a friend of mine who didn't do what she was told. Also if there isn't some gentle exercise, the tendon fibres heal in a jumbled mess instead of with a gentle crinkle and all pointed in the same direction. That makes it less likely that damage will reoccur when the horse goes back into work.

OP good luck with the rehab.

Well it was the wrong thing in my boy's case, every time we started exercise again it went again and more steroids. I had 2 1/2 years trying to get him sound through the vets advice. Each time we had to start again with in hand walking. The furthest we got is 45 minute walk with 3 one minute trot and it went again, last year I gave him 3 months off and the vet said it was the best they had seen the tendon. So started again and got to 45 minute walk ridden and it went again. So that is it he is retired, he will have 1 year off then I may or may not try again.

I want him sound without his support boots for 6 months in the field before I try making the tendon come back into work. He went lame 2013 April and retired Feb 16 I did not rush him at all. I wish I had given him at least 3 months off after it happened to get the tendon healed and only then start in hand walking. Then only would he have come back into work, making the tendon work before healed just cause weakness and risk it breaking down which it did.

Sometimes exercise is the wrong thing specially when the vet said box rest to a livery and she did not do it.

Last edited: