video - country lane road rage car/horse

Lintel

Visit site
Deary me what an idiot. Times like these make me glad of having a very laid back steed!..... and a large whip.

gingernut81

Visit site
The car driver is clearly an idiot but why didn't she trot on to a place where she could let the car go by? It didn't help the situation at all by sticking to walk.

meleeka

Visit site
The car driver is clearly an idiot but why didn't she trot on to a place where she could let the car go by? It didn't help the situation at all by sticking to walk.

I’m sure she would have if it had been safe to do so. By the video it looks as if the driver didn’t give her a chance to do this before they started to intimidate her. The behaviour got worse after the end of the video.

The OP is a well respected local vet. can’t link to the original post but this is what was written:

Another hack in paradise....

Heard a car approaching, who started beeping its horn as it got close. Tiny, single track, country lane. No where to pull in until after this video stops. After two beeps and some engine revving, I decided to film to get her number plate. Luckily I was on Johnnie.

However, as she got even closer, I had to stop filming. She then held her hand down on her horn for at least a minute, whilst I was walking towards the lay by. Johnnie got upset at that point, so I jumped off him to put myself between him and the car, and she drove at and HIT MY LEGS, twice!!! And then drove into the back of Johnnie’s legs as I tried to walk him away 😡

She then got out of her car, pushed me backwards, and started patting Johnnie?! Saying she had had horses all of her life, and he deserved a pat for what I (me!) had just put him through?!?!

The shouting you hear on the video, is her saying “You’re the reason riders get knocked off their horses on the road”!!!!

I could have understood her getting angry if I had held her up for minutes, but she started this beeping and shouting as she approached me!

Johnnie fine, thank god.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site

Grazinia*

Visit site
This poor rider and her horse, where could she have got over to, in the hedge? I live where the lanes are so long and narrow, it can take what seems an age to pass the girls on their horses, but do you what, I wait until there is a safe place for them to get over! Yes sometimes I'm in a hurry but that's the nature of where I choose to live, why can't people have a bit of respect and patience?! I hope the 'driver' gets prosecuted for that aggressive and down right dangerous behaviour!

HBB

Visit site
Both links are to the video. I’m interested to read about the driver.

The comments are quite shocking from the “horses should be banned from be road” brigade.

The comments on Unilad are awful, that's why I put up the riders post. This is the same lady driver.

33764388_1795540620503150_5866864483829284864_n.jpg

Last edited:

Landcruiser

Visit site
The driver, judging by this and also the dog incident, is clearly an aggressive bully. There is no excuse for intimidating people (and animals) like this. Reading that she also has 2 out of control staffies which run around tied together is bizarre but somehow unsurprising - I wonder how many people have questioned that particular behaviour, and what sort of shrift they got for it. Sadly it's unlikely she'll ever change - but a police caution or two would at least make the victims feel better and might make her stop and think..(but I somehow doubt it)

meleeka

Visit site
The comments on Unilad are awful, that's why I put up the riders post. This is the same lady driver.

33764388_1795540620503150_5866864483829284864_n.jpg

Thanks for posting that, I hadn’t seen it. Clearly this woman is pretty unstable. I do hope the police pay her a visit and warn her at the very least. That could have been a child with a dog or on a pony.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Looks like the driver has mental health issues .
How can you get out of a situation like that ? Could you have turned and got past the car going in the opposite direction,or trotted or stop and let the car past .
I would never expect a car to go behind me at five mph for any distance
Did the use of the phone inflame the situation increasingly the hat cam seems like a better idea .
The driver needs to be off the road she clearly has serious issues that’s not normal behaviour .
Or

little_critter

Visit site
Looks like the driver has mental health issues .
How can you get out of a situation like that ? Could you have turned and got past the car going in the opposite direction,or trotted or stop and let the car past .
I would never expect a car to go behind me at five mph for any distance
Did the use of the phone inflame the situation increasingly the hat cam seems like a better idea .
The driver needs to be off the road she clearly has serious issues that’s not normal behaviour .
Or

I did also wonder about mental health - to be so abusive and then get out and pat the horse???!
I would always trot on to get to a passing place to prevent holding up the driver if the situation was a calm one. BUT if the situation was already inflamed and the horse was already on edge then I would be doing everything as calmly as possible, not trotting away from the car which could either train the horse to 'run away' from scary situations or get a faster / less controlled response from the horse than you were hoping for.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I did also wonder about mental health - to be so abusive and then get out and pat the horse???!
I would always trot on to get to a passing place to prevent holding up the driver if the situation was a calm one. BUT if the situation was already inflamed and the horse was already on edge then I would be doing everything as calmly as possible, not trotting away from the car which could either train the horse to 'run away' from scary situations or get a faster / less controlled response from the horse than you were hoping for.

A horse should learn to run away because you trot away from something horses that fragile oughtbnot to be out and about .

vam

Visit site
This appeared on my fb on the idiot drivers page. To be fair I would say 99% of the comment where condemning the driver. When the whole 'horses shouldn't be on the road' argument came up, it was pointed out that bridleways are few and far between and more often than not have to be accessed by road and that we can't ride round random fields. I think that is a better view to take than the horse have been here longer argument which I think gets peoples back up.
Unilad is possibly not going to be a place full of horse rider supporters so not surprised by the comments.

AandK

Visit site
It does make me very sad when these posts appear. Whether you agree with horses being on the road or not, surely none should agree that being aggressive and intimidating to another road user is the way to behave? It also makes me cringe when horse riders come out with the 'horses have been around longer than cars' argument. Why can't all road users respect each others right to use the road, there is no harm having to be patient for a few minutes but plenty of harm to be caused by behaving like this woman. That also applies to horse riders thinking they own the road by not bothering to thank courteous drivers or holding up traffic for longer than needed - I have met plenty of those over the years!

GTRJazz

Visit site
We go under a railway bridge to get to the bridleways and have had a group of motorcycles and quads revving and going up on the back wheel a few feet behind us which caused the horses to take off through a blind bend on a busy road. Plenty of idiots out there

NinjaPony

Visit site
Incidents like this is why I will eventually move to a yard with direct access to off-road hacking for my pony's hacking retirement. I trust him, I just don't trust the drivers on the road any more.

Laika

Visit site
Absolutely disgusting behavior. Regardless of what happens before/after and whether the horse should be walking/trotting, that behavior is dangerous. If she had done that to my horse, she would've had a hard time keeping up in her Clio.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I did have to shout obscene sexual innuendos at a driver who was too close the other day waiting to overtake us on a blind bend.... which i had trotted round to make it easier and quicker for them to overtake i might add! Windows were down (result) and the wife and children looked dismayed ... (double result) :)

Laika

Visit site
I did have to shout obscene sexual innuendos at a driver who was too close the other day waiting to overtake us on a blind bend.... which i had trotted round to make it easier and quicker for them to overtake i might add! Windows were down (result) and the wife and children looked dismayed ... (double result) :)

Pahahahahaha, I do love your comments.

meleeka

Visit site

I bet they looked at you as if you were mad?

I wonder how they’d react if someone was threatening the safety of their child? I wish drivers would realise that most of us are just trying to get the balance between safety and enjoying our equines.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I've had a similar experience recently, and having recently returned to riding after having retirees for so long, I find it incredible that drivers can be so inconsiderate; and like the lady in the video it was also an elderly person that had a go at me.

Sadly I'm a bit slow to get my phone out and film what happened otherwise he would have been reported to the police for threatening behaviour and dangerous driving. He was one of the 'you should be on a bridleway' clique, and when I pointed out that was where I was heading but had to go on the road to get there he got back in his car and drove off. This was after chasing me for holding him up under a railway bridge (apparently I held up half of the village as well - 4 cars is not half the village), revving his engine at me, passing so close that he nearly clipped us with his wing mirror before stopping dead in front of us, getting out and hurling abuse. For once I managed to remain diplomatic, but should he dare do it again I might not be. In fact, a friend had a similar experience with what we think is the same guy (who is possibly a local councillor, but we're not sure about that) when said person tried to drive into the back of his horse on one of the narrow lanes in the village. He did have the presence of mind to film him and report him to the police.

As meleeka said would these people act the same if their safety or that of a child was involved?

Antw23uk

Visit site
I bet they looked at you as if you were mad?

I wonder how they’d react if someone was threatening the safety of their child? I wish drivers would realise that most of us are just trying to get the balance between safety and enjoying our equines.

They stared at me like i had three heads! Completely oblivious to what they were doing wrong. I swear the horses tail was touching the front of their car as they sat behind me and I could have pushed the lock button down on the passenger door if I'd lent forward they were that close passing!

Goldenstar

Visit site
There’s an article about this on H &H the vets account of what happened is even worse that it sounded at the beginning of this thread .
The driver of the car has some serious issues .