Viewing a horse - opinions on breeding

wil24702

Visit site
Hi,

I am going to see a tb mare this evening, she looks nice enough in pictures and the man that currently owns her was her stable lad in racing so hopefully would be honest about her.

Any thoughts on her breeding? I don't know anything about how to find out which sires are known to produce temperamental stock??

http://www.pedigreequery.com/lesanda

Thank you

wil24702

Visit site
Zafonic isn't direct parent would that make a difference?
Not sure why she missed a year, it's something I will ask him. He did say she retired sound and due to a lack of interest in racing.

be positive

Visit site
I would look at what is in front of you when you go, not what she may have done, or not, on the racecourse, the year off was after she won her bumper they may have allowed her time to mature before going hurdling with her at 5 rather than continuing with her at 4, she looks to be small so at 4 was probably a tiny little thing not ready for the hurly burly of hurdling, she then had a light but regular racing schedule until retiring in 2012, probably due to just not being that good so not worth spending the training fees each month.

It seems that she has had a good introduction to a different life, she is very pretty and could do well in RoR classes if that interests you.

horsimous

Visit site
I had a mare with mr prospector bloodlines. She was a very kind and intelligent mare and very responsive to her handler/rider. Probably the best horse I will ever ride (and I've ridden a lot )! She had an opinion though as well as quite a sense of humour too :)

Hope the viewing went well.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
People can be iffy on too much Mr. P due to soundness issues. But it's more to do with what's in front of you. I got on many many direct sons and daughters of Mr. P. They were nice to deal with but yes there could be soundness issues for racing. The horse in my profile pic is a grandson of Mr.P through Gone West. I bred a warmbloos filly out if my French Deputy mare that also has Mr. P through Conquistador Cielo. The mare was very sound with great feet and her daughter is the same. Some of the Mr.P's can have boxy clubby feet but again not all.

Terri

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I have a horse with Niniski/Nijinsky lines, he is a lovely horse very straight forward to ride easy to handle on the ground. however he does have a side that if something panics him (only on the ground strangely) its literally like a switch flicks inside his head and he goes into self defense mode and can frankly be dangerous. That said that is rare and only with things like vets or clippers and you can mostly avoid setting him off now I know him well enough.

The wife

Visit site
I think at times too much emphasis is placed upon the breeding. I've done it before in the past - won't touch so and so lines but in reality it's all down to the individual animal. I personally was dubious about backing our own 4yo as he has Primative lines (had heard they were tricky and bad tempered - ours is the complete opposite) Also i'm not sure how much of an effect breeding has on an animall when say going 4-5 generations back. I had this disagreement a few months ago with a friend who stated because her horse has Northern Dancer it was this and that... ND appeared twice in it's pedigree 5-6 gens back and she couldnt understand that about 80% of modern day race horses are derived from him.

OP, as others have said go and see what is in front of you and not from paper. Good luck