Viewing alone - bad idea?

stangs

Visit site
I think it's doable if (and big 'if'):
a) you've distanced yourself from the horse in advance (very easy for emotions to paint red flags green)
b) you know what you're looking for in terms of possible issues (e.g. how do the feet look, behavioural "quirks" that could be something more sinister, dealer red flags etc)
c) you film and photograph everything - pictures of feet, pictures of the horse, videos of owner riding (of course, ask permission beforehand), videos of you riding (I found that owners were usually happy to film for you)
d) you write down all your thoughts after trying, even the little things, so you can...
e) ... send all that and all the photographic evidence to an experienced friend and have a long phone call to talk through everything

But, yes, there is an issue of personal safety if you're going to an area far from your usual haunts. Is there no one that could go with you? Doesn't have to be someone experienced, any friend, horsey or otherwise, will do as a cameraman and a second pair of eyes.

GreatDove

Visit site
The horse is in east Devon, which is 4hrs drive away from where I am based.

I can actually see how taking another person would be good, even if they can’t offer much in term of horse advice.

Definitely agree with above comment - trying to be as pragmatic and realistic as possible here and not let emotions take over, heard too many sad stories.
Ideally would like it to be much closer to home so I could have people who know me with me on the day, but on the other hand don’t want to miss out.

thanks all, really appreciating hearing people’s views and experiences.

riversideeu

Visit site
I could not take anyone with me to view the first horse I have bought in 16 years. Other half babysitting our pregnant dog and I did not want to miss her. He knew where I was going and tracked me on my phone. I saw her ridden first then tried her. I negotiated left a deposit got her vetted and she was delivered by them. I have absolutely no regrets. Yes company would have been great but only I know what I do and dont want so other half or anyone else would not have influenced the purchase.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
4 hour drive on your own? You'll be bored to death by the time you arrive!
I drove nearly 10 hours by myself to go and see one. Had the trailer on as I'd seen pics and was pretty sure I was going to get her if she was ok. Had to sleep on their sofa and drive back another 10 hours with her next day. Bit of a risk as she was an untrained youngster. I was fuming at my OH as I couldn't get him to come with me.
I was much younger then.When I last had to fetch one a long way I paid a transporter.

eahotson

Visit site
Setting aside the need for another pair of eyes, think about your personal safety. If you absolutely do need to view alone, make sure that someone knows where you are going and when you will be back, set location tracking into your phone, and don't go anywhere else if you are asked to follow the vendor to the 'place where the horse is kept'.
That.I went to view a little cob and fortunately I had my instructor and my husband with me.I think it could have been a very dicey situation without.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I would go alone. Especially if all preliminaries checked the boxes (video, chat with owner, what I am looking for). I rather not miss out and I'm quite confident in finding the right horse for myself. I've also bought unseen successfully. Ideally OH would come (also horsey and a good eye for oddball things), but if not, I'd still go for the right one.

Waxwing

Visit site
My OH half came we me to viewings earlier this year; although he isn't horsey he was able to take lots of videos and was a good sounding board. While he doesn't know much about horses he knows me very well and his comments on how I looked, in terms of looking confident and at ease, not on how well I was riding, were very helpful. My daughter, we share the horse, gave very clear views on what she thought of my riding!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I viewed all the horses in my recent search alone. Just made sure to get plenty of video for opinions afterwards. None as far away as 4hrs, but one was 3hrs…

I did always make sure someone knew where I was though. And if I thought anything looked dodgy I wouldn’t have got on. I do most things alone now, as no family or friends I’d be comfortable asking to come with nearby!

Lois Lame

Visit site
What could go wrong?

(Obviously I will arrange a full vetting if the first viewing isn’t a total failure.)

Plenty can go wrong.

I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to feel a sort of pressure to please the seller by saying I'll buy. I know, I sound balmy.

I think what I am really thinking also is that when we wonder what can gp wrong?? it is a sign that we cannot really see the problems. (I mean the problems will be there, but they are hidden from us in our slightly 'what can possibly go wrong' state of mind.

So, if you don't take someone, at least tell yourself that you won't make a decision immediately.

stangs

Visit site
The above is very good advice.

If you can tell that the horse isn't right for you right off the bat, and the owner seems pleasant, finish viewing there and then. If owner seems a bit off or if you like the horse, tell the owner that you'll have to discuss with instructor/more experienced friend/etc and then message/call them later.

Lois Lame

Visit site
OP, yes, try and take an adult with you who can drive home if necessary, doesn't need to be horsey but helpful if they are. Useful for filming and listening.....

Agreed. My partner isn't 'horsey' as such but is great at reading people and animals, much better than I am. (In fact, I am somewhat Aspergers to a degree, though it took me decades to learn of that.)

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yes but can't go into details at present.

Aww... man. So sorry to hear that. It seemed like your horse search had finally led you to the right horse. That sucks. Hope you will update us when you can.

OP, when I bought a horse as a semi-experienced 17-year old, I brought along my trainer. When I bought two horses as a very experienced 30-something-year old, I didn't. It would have been nice, but with Covid being what it was at the time, it wasn't going to happen. Anyway, nobody would have caught the pregnant filly anyway, and I knew the neurotic Highland was neurotic. The filly, however, is still a quality filly with a lovely nature, and I'm still optimistic I can fix the Highland's issues with time and patience.

Last edited:

TPO

Visit site
Sometimes bad things happen when trying a horse so if you're not close enough to get picked up/taxi to get home have someone else who can drive with you.

As a new/first time buyer definitely wise to take someone experienced with you who won't be overwhelmed by the situation. It's easy to think that there will never be another suitable horse or to miss somethings and its definitely harder being left with a crock than waiting for something else suitable to come onto the market.

Boulty

Visit site
Would say to rope in a friend if you can if this is your first purchase. Never underestimate how excited a horsey person can get about a roadtrip to go & look at ponies!

If you can't rope in someone horsey it may still be worth taking someone to be an extra pair of eyes / ears / sharer of the driving (or at least operator of the radio & passer of snacks!)

Always worth seeing if you know someone nearby that you could pick up on the way or meet there as another option.

PS I don't always follow this advice (didn't with the Welsh one & look what happens there... What a disaster it would have been not to have become his human slave because of someone with a functional brain coming to the viewing & took off my rose tinted glasses!)